Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:34 PM   #1
Smarty Cide
Veteran

California Chrome vs Shared Belief

Smarty Cide is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
Smarty Cide
Veteran

oh yeah and screw jim rome.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:49 PM   #3
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty Cide
oh yeah and screw jim rome.
Why?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
GaryG
Unreconstructed

Regardless how you feel about Jim Rome's radio/TV persona he has always been respectful and polite at the track (at least whenever I have seen him). I would take him in a nanosecond over that bozo with CC.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:56 PM   #5
Smarty Cide
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG
Regardless how you feel about Jim Rome's radio/TV persona he has always been respectful and polite at the track (at least whenever I have seen him). I would take him in a nanosecond over that bozo with CC.

ill always side with a good rags to riches story... Chromes story craps on Shared Belief no matter what. Was a great ride in the spring that will not be soon forgotten... Shared Belief yeah he could win the Classic but im pretty sure most would rather be the toast of the horse racing world the first Saturday in May... Let alone the 5 week bonanza as a whole.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:03 PM   #6
ArlJim78

as an owner Rome has been polite, respectful, appears knowledgeable and loves the game. Why can't we just leave the owners out of it and enjoy these two top horses? it seems that some people don't understand that what you see on radio or TV is often just a persona, and does not necessarily reflect what that person is really like.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2014, 02:08 PM   #7
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty Cide
ill always side with a good rags to riches story... Chromes story craps on Shared Belief no matter what. Was a great ride in the spring that will not be soon forgotten... Shared Belief yeah he could win the Classic but im pretty sure most would rather be the toast of the horse racing world the first Saturday in May... Let alone the 5 week bonanza as a whole.
I've liked California Chrome the horse since that last Cal bred win I didn't care one way or another about the owner. Coburn was entertaining with his 2 day rant after the Belmont though. I really wanted to see him play one on one basketball with a skilled wheelchair bound player. I think the kid would've won . No way Coburn would've lasted past 4 minutes without serious heart problems.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2014, 02:27 PM   #8
Stillriledup
Veteran

Rome has been nothing short of sensational as an owner. He's amazing for the game, he constantly talks racing on his radio show and his tv show, he's a big deal, a LOT of people are listening to his words and comments and he always talks about how amazing the sport is.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 09-01-2014 at 02:40 AM.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2014, 05:00 PM   #9
Relwob Owner

Why is/was Rome a douche bag? Because when he was younger, he was outspoken and talked a fair amount of trash? If so, reminds me A LOT of you on this forum until California Chrome lost......

Rome is smart, has a lot of people interested in his horse and the game now that wouldn't be otherwise and owns a horse that will kick the crap out of Calufornia Chrome if they meet.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 09-01-2014 at 02:40 AM.
Relwob Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2014, 05:25 PM   #10
Rex Phinney

LOL at Smarty Cide taking some flak. Didn't you pretty much use the exact same douche bag line before?

I just can't get behind Coburn anymore, his antics at the Belmont were terrible. Rome has done right by his horse giving him the time to get right even as the spotlight disappeared. Even beyond this horse Rome has done more for racing than most people care to know. He always has trainers and jocks on the show now. He is trying to get the sport some exposure. In the meantime he is nothing but courteous and polite around the track. I've run into him twice at Santa Anita and both times he was a real pleasure.

As for the horses, you gotta pull for Shared Belief. I mean c'mon the guy has to sit out 6 months and everyone forgets about him. He is 6 for 6 right now he seems to be more of an all around freak from the first day at the track than Chrome. Chrome IMO is a very good horse who got hot at the right time, he is not the all around freak that SB is.

That whippet step SB had in the turn at Del Mar was an incredible show of athleticism, the last time I saw a horse get down and whippet kick likethat was St. Trinnians against Zenyatta.. His motion IMO is not perfect, but somehow he gets the job done.

And yes I just used the term "Whippet kick"
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2014, 06:34 PM   #11
OntheRail

Whippet
Old 08-29-2014, 07:02 PM   #12
Smarty Cide
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relwob Owner
Why is/was Rome a douche bag? Because when he was younger, he was outspoken and talked a fair amount of trash? If so, reminds me A LOT of you on this forum until California Chrome lost......

Rome is smart, has a lot of people interested in his horse and the game now that wouldn't be otherwise and owns a horse that will kick the crap out of Calufornia Chrome if they meet.

2 differences... 1 at least im funny and 2 rome is a big know it all and he dont know shit... especially about football.. i dont claim to know it all i only claimed to know California Chrome was the best 3 year old this spring. it was a no brainer... and if u think for a sec if he dont get a nice chunk taken out his foot at the gate in belmont we dont got a triple crown winner then you just crazy... but i did predict that like i kept saying "something always goes wrong at belmont"
Old 08-29-2014, 07:09 PM   #13
Smarty Cide
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney
LOL at Smarty Cide taking some flak. Didn't you pretty much use the exact same douche bag line before?

I just can't get behind Coburn anymore, his antics at the Belmont were terrible. Rome has done right by his horse giving him the time to get right even as the spotlight disappeared. Even beyond this horse Rome has done more for racing than most people care to know. He always has trainers and jocks on the show now. He is trying to get the sport some exposure. In the meantime he is nothing but courteous and polite around the track. I've run into him twice at Santa Anita and both times he was a real pleasure.

As for the horses, you gotta pull for Shared Belief. I mean c'mon the guy has to sit out 6 months and everyone forgets about him. He is 6 for 6 right now he seems to be more of an all around freak from the first day at the track than Chrome. Chrome IMO is a very good horse who got hot at the right time, he is not the all around freak that SB is.

That whippet step SB had in the turn at Del Mar was an incredible show of athleticism, the last time I saw a horse get down and whippet kick likethat was St. Trinnians against Zenyatta.. His motion IMO is not perfect, but somehow he gets the job done.

yes i did use the same douche line before... c'mon its a good line.... im gonna get some mileage outta that one.... anyway i do agree shared belief has looked good but i kinda think people forget how good chrome was all spring now hes rested. will be a great classic
Old 08-29-2014, 08:19 PM   #14
taxicab

I'll wait for the race to get a little closer.
But I must admit I'm kind of fascinated by our good friend Smarty Cide's hatred of all things Jim Rome.
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2014, 08:26 PM   #15
horses4courses

Hold your horses

They can hype this one up all they want.
Until CC comes out of his next race (likely at Parx)
as a healthy horse, with at least a semblance
of his former brilliance, this billing won't fly.

I hope it happens, but you can't get carried away quite yet.
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply