Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 03-25-2015, 06:55 PM   #1
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

G2 Louisiana Derby

Big Kentucky Derby prep race with a number of solid contenders in here. International Star is looking to become the champ of the Fair Grounds while entertaining a number of old foes and newbies that can take it to him.

Stanford: Lightly raced, and he'll definitely add some speed to the ticket. His two entries while stepping up in class are tough to overlook as he was well beaten as a favorite and smoked at Saratoga last year. Solid breeding and the connections of Pletcher and Geroux are appealing, but I can't bite on this one.

Mr. Z: Gotta love this horse. Gives it up every single time. However, distance is a problem for this one, and he now stretches out to his lifetime furthest route. I'll put on the bottom of Tris and Supers.

Defondo: Struggling to like anything about this entry.

Fusiachi Flame
: Fu-peg on top with Leestown on the bottom? And in Louisiana? Yeah, his numbers don't stack up, and he looks like a no chancer on the form, but..., the home track and all? Yeah, what the heck am I thinking. Pass.

A Day in Paradise
: Major step up in class, but this one is climbing the ladder and is only making his second start of the 2015 season. Recent works show he may be ready for a big one and Larry Jones and Kerwin Clark are a very nice combination at a likely price.

War Story: As I stated in the Risen Star, a lot of people like this colt. He disappointed a bit in that one, but still has room for improvement. Distance shouldn't be a problem. Serious contender.

Keen Ice: Closed well in the Risen Star, but it wasn't that great. An early "wise guy" Derby horse needs more distance unless he can be closer early. Can't toss from exotics, but will toss from winning.

St Joe Bay: Folded as lone speed in his last 4 races and now steps up in distance to 9 panels? 6 and 7 furlong races are his calling. Not this one.

International Star: Should be dead chalk, and deservedly so. Classic Derby stalking style on board and his maturity into 2015 has been solid. Keeps getting better, but can be beat. Looks like he'll get another perfect setup with speed to close upon.

WP:

Haven't figured out the rest. But are all I can see right now.

Last edited by Lemon Drop Husker; 03-25-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2015, 08:39 PM   #2
nads1420
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker
Big Kentucky Derby prep race with a number of solid contenders in here. International Star is looking to become the champ of the Fair Grounds while entertaining a number of old foes and newbies that can take it to him.

Stanford: Lightly raced, and he'll definitely add some speed to the ticket. His two entries while stepping up in class are tough to overlook as he was well beaten as a favorite and smoked at Saratoga last year. Solid breeding and the connections of Pletcher and Geroux are appealing, but I can't bite on this one.

Mr. Z: Gotta love this horse. Gives it up every single time. However, distance is a problem for this one, and he now stretches out to his lifetime furthest route. I'll put on the bottom of Tris and Supers.

Defondo: Struggling to like anything about this entry.

Fusiachi Flame
: Fu-peg on top with Leestown on the bottom? And in Louisiana? Yeah, his numbers don't stack up, and he looks like a no chancer on the form, but..., the home track and all? Yeah, what the heck am I thinking. Pass.

A Day in Paradise
: Major step up in class, but this one is climbing the ladder and is only making his second start of the 2015 season. Recent works show he may be ready for a big one and Larry Jones and Kerwin Clark are a very nice combination at a likely price.

War Story: As I stated in the Risen Star, a lot of people like this colt. He disappointed a bit in that one, but still has room for improvement. Distance shouldn't be a problem. Serious contender.

Keen Ice: Closed well in the Risen Star, but it wasn't that great. An early "wise guy" Derby horse needs more distance unless he can be closer early. Can't toss from exotics, but will toss from winning.

St Joe Bay: Folded as lone speed in his last 4 races and now steps up in distance to 9 panels? 6 and 7 furlong races are his calling. Not this one.

International Star: Should be dead chalk, and deservedly so. Classic Derby stalking style on board and his maturity into 2015 has been solid. Keeps getting better, but can be beat. Looks like he'll get another perfect setup with speed to close upon.

WP:

Haven't figured out the rest. But are all I can see right now.

love that 5
nads1420 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2015, 03:28 PM   #3
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
What are the odds on Mr. Z?
Old 03-26-2015, 03:42 PM   #4
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

I keep waiting for Dr Z to perform the way I think he can. International Star is the horse to beat, with his breeding and the "x gene" path intact, and strong performances starting to confirm the presence of the gene, he should handle these easily enough. However, he already has the Derby made so there is the possibility, I suppose, that he may be in the race strictly for Derby conditioning purposes. While he certainly has the performances to beat these, he is not superior enough to win if he doesn't run to his best (or very near his best).

Would not be too surprised if Fusiachi Flame produces his best performance to date. Not saying he could win, but might need to be included in vertical exotics.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2015, 03:42 PM   #5
minethatbird08

4/1

ML 4/1 on Mr. Z, blinkers off
minethatbird08 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2015, 07:38 PM   #6
f2tornado

//

It's possible Mr. Z takes to the track and competes higher up the board otherwise the Star and War Story are the pair to beat. I like Star on top but should War Story get a better break and less wide trip then he could be there at the wire. Stanford has already raced the distance and Keen Ice closed well to hit the board in the Risen Star. I don't plan on using anything else in exotics but could see Defondo close out the super wager. Dallas Stewart has had a recent a knack of doing that in the LA Derby plus the horse has Buckpasser.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2015, 10:49 AM   #7
boys at tosconova

i only see 2 horses that are a complete toss in this race. the 3 and 4

seems like there are quite a few that you will get a price on with a great shot to finish at least 2nd.

the 8 ran a great race last out. i don't know how he gets it done here, but the horse will be lost in the betting only losing to war story by 1L and intl star by 2L last out.

if you're using 69..you have to use the 7 w/ them..the race should set up well for all of them.

Last edited by boys at tosconova; 03-27-2015 at 11:01 AM.
boys at tosconova is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2015, 04:55 PM   #8
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boys at tosconova
i only see 2 horses that are a complete toss in this race. the 3 and 4

seems like there are quite a few that you will get a price on with a great shot to finish at least 2nd.

the 8 ran a great race last out. i don't know how he gets it done here, but the horse will be lost in the betting only losing to war story by 1L and intl star by 2L last out.

if you're using 69..you have to use the 7 w/ them..the race should set up well for all of them.
I see the finishing well up the track this time around.

Will look to single the in the 1 and 2 holes in exotics with everybody but the and .
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2015, 06:19 PM   #9
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

The BB Class/Distance rankings have (no handicapping, straight BB picks):

Dr Z
Keen Ice
International Star
Stanford

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply