Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 09-23-2010, 09:36 AM   #31
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamey1977
I am sick of this crap.
Stop betting.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #32
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Stop betting.
In case you haven't noticed, that is exactly what lots of people are doing.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #33
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
In case you haven't noticed, that is exactly what lots of people are doing.
It's the most powerful message we can send.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2010, 12:24 PM   #34
Charlie D

Quote:
It's the most powerful message we can send.

Correct.
Charlie D is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2010, 12:45 PM   #35
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie D
Correct.
Unfortunately, those that should be listening are deaf.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #36
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Unfortunately, those that should be listening are deaf.
Are you talking about the industry's leaders...or about the bettors who are continuing to play this game?
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2010, 12:49 PM   #37
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Are you talking about the industry's leaders...or about the bettors who are continuing to play this game?
The "leaders". Bettors have stopped betting or cut back, and not in small amounts.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:53 PM   #38
thaskalos

The game's demise is just around the corner...
Old 09-23-2010, 01:02 PM   #39
Charlie D

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
The game's demise is just around the corner...
It'll keep chugging along while slot money is avaliable. It will also keep chugging along while Horseplayers remain "stupid" (Finley) "addicts and idiots" ( Mullins).
Charlie D is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2010, 09:37 PM   #40
jamey1977

I Wish I Could

Quote:
Stop betting.
I'm stuck here. 2004 - My Plant closed. I sold 2 movie scripts. 1 for 30 thousand, another for 25 thousand in 2005 and 2007 respectively. I have to profit at this damn racetrack venture. My savings isn't gone yet. But this game just stinks. These damn last minute changes are just a nightmare. Someone is screwing around. I bet at final odds when the horses enter the gate. On paper, yeah, I get 48 percent winners at 7 dollars 60 cents average. But real time betting, with all the money moving around. And screwing up all of my research and formulations . My win rate is approx. 40 percent at around 7 dollars and 20 cents. And that's after a great day from about 9 lousy ones. This last minute crap ruins everything. I'll eat the losses. They are the idiots who are the fools. Keep plunging on those 3 to 1's. I hope you plungers lose and you can shove your computer programs too. I wanna take a hammer to your damn computers. Go To Hell. Plungers

Last edited by jamey1977; 09-23-2010 at 09:39 PM.
jamey1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2010, 10:19 PM   #41
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
shut the pools down 1 minute before the race starts. if someone does pastpost the race with those controls have the guy arrested when he tries to catch his ticket, if he is able to do it from his house have him arrested as well. if the tracks did this they would get at least 50% more in handle within a year. i don't care if they need to stand the horses behind the starting gate a minute before the race starts. they must also constantly monitor the blind pools like they do in new york. the percentage that one loses due to post bell bets and cancels are alot more than any other form of takeout reduction that one could ever dream of. even the hana folks would be happy with that! and not only that if you have an increased handle you can have a decreased takeout that could work
why shut the pools early? That would only hurt people who like to bet late. A better idea would be to find a way to make sure no money comes in after the race starts and don't allow any cancels. Once the race starts, it starts, all bets are in, no refunds.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2010, 10:38 PM   #42
Robert Fischer
clean money

To be concise, poorly managed game as a system and on so many individual fronts including Final Odds Changes.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:57 PM   #43
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
why shut the pools early? That would only hurt people who like to bet late. A better idea would be to find a way to make sure no money comes in after the race starts and don't allow any cancels. Once the race starts, it starts, all bets are in, no refunds.
Betting late is one thing. Saving huge bets for the last possible second, and creating havoc in the horses' odds is a different thing altogether.

The horseplayer should know the approximate return on his bets...anything less is grossly unfair.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:15 AM   #44
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamey1977
I'm stuck here. 2004 - My Plant closed. I sold 2 movie scripts. 1 for 30 thousand, another for 25 thousand in 2005 and 2007 respectively. I have to profit at this damn racetrack venture. My savings isn't gone yet. But this game just stinks. These damn last minute changes are just a nightmare. Someone is screwing around. I bet at final odds when the horses enter the gate. On paper, yeah, I get 48 percent winners at 7 dollars 60 cents average. But real time betting, with all the money moving around. And screwing up all of my research and formulations . My win rate is approx. 40 percent at around 7 dollars and 20 cents. And that's after a great day from about 9 lousy ones. This last minute crap ruins everything. I'll eat the losses. They are the idiots who are the fools. Keep plunging on those 3 to 1's. I hope you plungers lose and you can shove your computer programs too. I wanna take a hammer to your damn computers. Go To Hell. Plungers
Perhaps you need to find a source (other than racing) for your income.

Not sure I understand your math either, because if your overall win rate is approximately 40% and your average $2 return is approximately $ 7.20, you are making a profit which is much better than about 95% of the players. Perhaps your wagering amounts at these rates do not result in enough profits to make a full-time and/or part-time living?

Kind of selfish (and unrealistic) to want others to refrain from wagering on YOUR selection, it is not?

Time to man up, and accept personal responsibility. You can never hope to be a successful handicapper if you do not do so.

(Some situations call for some tough love. )

Last edited by Track Collector; 09-24-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2010, 01:24 AM   #45
jamey1977

I Have To Take It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Collector
Perhaps you need to find a source (other than racing) for your income.

Not sure I understand your math either, because if your overall win rate is approximately 40% and your average $2 return is approximately $ 7.20, you are making a profit which is much better than about 95% of the players. Perhaps your wagering amounts at these rates do not result in enough profits to make a full-time and/or part-time living?

Kind of selfish (and unrealistic) to want others to refrain from wagering on YOUR selection, it is not?

Time to man up, and accept personal responsibility. You can never hope to be a successful handicapper if you do not do so.

(Some situations call for some tough love. )
Just frustrating. I have a method that spots overlays. I will not tell anyone. But with the odds changing during the race, this fouls everything up. Just frustrating. I will have to learn to deal with it. But remember everything you research, is the final odds. and when you bet. those are the post time odds. They change so much. Your research results are always going to be altered. Perhaps off 15 to 20 percent. Also add many more losses to your tally .Should most likely add 12 a month. You will win some of the slips. But you will lose too. Because of the odds moving around.