Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 06-18-2023, 04:06 PM   #1
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

OK, I'll say it...HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

To all the dads on here...I know we have a few
Old 06-18-2023, 07:16 PM   #2
Tape Reader

Thank you, Boss.

My son is treating me to a couple of days at Saratoga. Slippage of Holiday Inn and beer will be hard to overcome.

We will try. All tote board of course and exotics.

Good luck to all at the Spa!!
Tape Reader is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2023, 07:33 PM   #3
Vinnie

Same to you Head Honcho!! Happy Father's Day to your father and any other of the fathers that you know out there as well. Hope that everyone has an outstanding day.

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2023, 07:44 PM   #4
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tape Reader View Post
Thank you, Boss.

My son is treating me to a couple of days at Saratoga. Slippage of Holiday Inn and beer will be hard to overcome.

We will try. All tote board of course and exotics.

Good luck to all at the Spa!!

Good Luck to you and your son, just curious where does your screen name come from? I am sure tape reader means something different to you than it does to me.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2023, 08:10 PM   #5
Robert Fischer
clean money

hope everyone is having a good day.
Old 06-18-2023, 08:14 PM   #6
fast4522

Wish all the other dads are having a great day, prior to today I won the last 5 days that I played, not today.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2023, 08:48 PM   #7
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
Wish all the other dads are having a great day, prior to today I won the last 5 days that I played, not today.

Winning 5 days in a row betting the ponies is a good streak where I come from, unless you got cocky on day 6 and put an extra zero in your bets.
Old 06-18-2023, 08:53 PM   #8
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Winning 5 days in a row betting the ponies is a good streak where I come from, unless you got cocky on day 6 and put an extra zero in your bets.
No, I play the same way consistently. It is a software thing I have been doing with value as a component.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2023, 09:56 PM   #9
Robert Fischer
clean money

i like this 'rub' spice mix I came up with tonight

started with about a half container of a 'BBQ rub' spice. Solid generic 'bbq' type of flavor, sort of like a less sweet/more peppery bbq chip flavor, but could use some more to it ( call it 6-8? 'parts' in relation to the rest?)

BBQ rub 1/2 container
+
added 3pts brown sugar
2 pts smoked paprika
1 pt garlic powder
.5 pt ground red pepper powder (spicey)
.5 pt gumbo file
.5 pt Old Bay Seasoning
Mix well

came out pretty good, sort of a combo of a 'rub' and a 'blackening' seasoning.

Some good bbq chicken, and worked fine with basting some final 15min in a traditional bbq sauce

slow easy day here in Maryland Father's Day

woke up and my step daughter asked me to make an omelette

did some house work / cleaning and a cookout. Wife made a cake.
Old 06-19-2023, 06:52 PM   #10
Tape Reader

Quote:
Good Luck to you and your son, just curious where does your screen name come from? I am sure tape reader means something different to you than it does to me.
Hi Inner Dirt,

In the old days on Wall St. stock prices used to print off a ticker tape machine. Traders would read the tape trying to discern a hint of accumulation and distribution. They were known as Tape Readers.

This is what I have been doing, with modern day computers, for the last sixty years.

Reading that you were a former heavy weight boxer I would guess that your meaning may be Tale of the Tape: Ht., Wt., Reach, etc. Yes?
Tape Reader is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2023, 07:54 PM   #11
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tape Reader View Post
Hi Inner Dirt,

In the old days on Wall St. stock prices used to print off a ticker tape machine. Traders would read the tape trying to discern a hint of accumulation and distribution. They were known as Tape Readers.

This is what I have been doing, with modern day computers, for the last sixty years.

Reading that you were a former heavy weight boxer I would guess that your meaning may be Tale of the Tape: Ht., Wt., Reach, etc. Yes?

Nothing to do with sports, similar mechanical properties as what you describe.

The tape which is similar in size to old stock market ticker tapes were generated on a machine called a flex writer. It was similar to a typewriter but it punched a serious of holes in the tape. You then went to an early model computer numeric controlled (CNC) metal turning or milling machine and fed the tape into the tape reader. The first of these type machines had to have a constantly running tape similar to a tape recorder which the tape reader looked similar to. The next generation machines would just have to read the tale once and it would be stored in it's memory bank. The machines

were in their infancy in the mid to late 60's, the second generation that no longer required the continuous loop tape came about in the late 70's.

By the early 80's the tape reader was eliminated, the machines came equipped with hard drives and had a serial port you could hook to a PC.
No disrespect to your screen name but neither I or my fellow machinists shed a tear when the last tape reader machine left the building. They had vacuum tubes in them so they became impossible to maintain.

The sad thing to me is metal working equipment has no value above the work it can do so a lot of machines of these type were just cannibalized
for parts and then melted down. No examples of those early vintage
computer controlled machines I started on in 1979 exist today. You cannot
find pictures, sales brochures, or operating manuals. They only exist in memory.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 06-19-2023 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-19-2023, 08:11 PM   #12
46zilzal
velocitician

My Dad was with my sister and I until he was 89. He was an expert on the United States Cavalry and is responsible for my love of horses as we used to travel to horse shows, parades, GoodWill clothing outlets, tack shops every weekend during my youth.

He was the one who first put me on horseback at Orrie Tucker's stable in Santa Ana California at age three.

He NEVER interfered in what I wanted to do in life and was always supportive of same.

I miss him everyday.

Last edited by 46zilzal; 06-19-2023 at 08:14 PM.
46zilzal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2023, 09:35 PM   #13
Inner Dirt

My dad used me as a punching bag and abused women. When I got big enough to fight back he said he could shoot me and get away with it.

My only regret was never laying a hand on him and being the bigger man.
Putting a positive spin on it I was not afraid of anything. I was a straight A student, small for my age till I was 13, so I was a target for bullies. I always figured no kid can hit as hard as my dad so the bullies were in for a surprise, most of them don't want someone not afraid to fight. Until High School I wore dress shoes and was an expert delivering a kick to the shins.

My father was annoying as hell in his later years and when he died at 66 he cost me some loot, I found out I could not afford down the road. Wife #3 he met at his 40th High School reunion. My dad was a 2 sport letterman and probably the most popular kid in school with constant write ups in the local paper for his baseball slugging and TDs he scored. He did not know Phyllis existed in HS and she was smitten acting like she was the HS girl worshiping athletes 40 years later.

My father just mentally abused her, not physically, but when he became frail and sickly in his last couple years I fielded daily phone calls saying she was abusing him. I knew it was crap and if she called me and said she just shot my dad, I would have risked my own freedom to help her cover it up.

I found out he left her in financial dire straits on his two pensions he took a higher monthly rate instead of having survivor benefits. He left all his cash and investments to my sister. My poor step mother spent all her money helping her 3 hot looking daughters married to losers. She was a month from being homeless. I felt so sorry for this poor women. I paid for my father's funeral with my sister not kicking in a dime, paid off both car loans,
cleaned out all the worthless crap my father hoarded, he still had a broken

1960's tape recorder that died in the early 70's. I helped him move many times. I gave her $45,000 in cash and spent a lot of time that impacted running my business. My mother died 45 days earlier and I was also executor of her will. Life was a mess.
Old 06-19-2023, 10:07 PM   #14
horses4courses

Quote:
My dad used me as a punching bag and abused women. When I got big enough to fight back he said he could shoot me and get away with it.

My only regret was never laying a hand on him and being the bigger man.
Putting a positive spin on it I was not afraid of anything. I was a straight A student, small for my age till I was 13, so I was a target for bullies. I always figured no kid can hit as hard as my dad so the bullies were in for a surprise, most of them don't want someone not afraid to fight. Until High School I wore dress shoes and was an expert delivering a kick to the shins.

My father was annoying as hell in his later years and when he died at 66 he cost me some loot, I found out I could not afford down the road. Wife #3 he met at his 40th High School reunion. My dad was a 2 sport letterman and probably the most popular kid in school with constant write ups in the local paper for his baseball slugging and TDs he scored. He did not know Phyllis existed in HS and she was smitten acting like she was the HS girl worshiping athletes 40 years later.

My father just mentally abused her, not physically, but when he became frail and sickly in his last couple years I fielded daily phone calls saying she was abusing him. I knew it was crap and if she called me and said she just shot my dad, I would have risked my own freedom to help her cover it up.

I found out he left her in financial dire straits on his two pensions he took a higher monthly rate instead of having survivor benefits. He left all his cash and investments to my sister. My poor step mother spent all her money helping her 3 hot looking daughters married to losers. She was a month from being homeless. I felt so sorry for this poor women. I paid for my father's funeral with my sister not kicking in a dime, paid off both car loans,
cleaned out all the worthless crap my father hoarded, he still had a broken

1960's tape recorder that died in the early 70's. I helped him move many times. I gave her $45,000 in cash and spent a lot of time that impacted running my business. My mother died 45 days earlier and I was also executor of her will. Life was a mess.
That's a rough story.
You did well to come out of it in one piece.

My dad passed in 1966 in Chicago, aged 36.
While I was only 8 years old, and didn't know him well,
the majority of my early memories of him are good ones.

He was never mean to my mother - not sure how I'd have coped with that.
I believe those early years are crucial in forming the person you become.
While it's not impossible to end up okay, it makes it really difficult.
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2023, 11:57 PM   #15
xtb

Quote:
Nothing to do with sports, similar mechanical properties as what you describe.

The tape which is similar in size to old stock market ticker tapes were generated on a machine called a flex writer. It was similar to a typewriter but it punched a serious of holes in the tape. You then went to an early model computer numeric controlled (CNC) metal turning or milling machine and fed the tape into the tape reader. The first of these type machines had to have a constantly running tape similar to a tape recorder which the tape reader looked similar to. The next generation machines would just have to read the tale once and it would be stored in it's memory bank. The machines

were in their infancy in the mid to late 60's, the second generation that no longer required the continuous loop tape came about in the late 70's.
And you had to use a little vacuum cleaner to keep everything clean. Sometimes the holes punched in the tape weren't fully detached and would end up loose in the compartment with the reader. If the tape was read wrong it could be disaster.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply