Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-03-2021, 12:52 AM   #691
The_Turf_Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Maybe.

But you know, if we are kicking Baffert out of the sport for awhile (and I hope we are), maybe he has an incentive to come clean and burn all his co-conspirators. Indeed, ideally, he would not be allowed back into the sport until he ratted out every single one of them.
There’s roughly a 0% chance of that happening unless he’s facing some kind of federal indictment, which we have no reason to believe he is. Think of all of the damage that he’s already done to the breeding industry, that’s major money. Would you raise your hand at auction on any progeny coming out of one of his horses now?
The_Turf_Monster is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2021, 01:11 AM   #692
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
There’s roughly a 0% chance of that happening unless he’s facing some kind of federal indictment, which we have no reason to believe he is. Think of all of the damage that he’s already done to the breeding industry, that’s major money. Would you raise your hand at auction on any progeny coming out of one of his horses now?
I realize that, but that means he should get a lifetime ban in a just world.

When you do bad things, sometimes you are forced to make choices you don't want to make. The price of Baffert coming back into the sport should be that he tells the whole truth.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2021, 01:15 AM   #693
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
It will never happen....BTW, there will be pushback against Churchill Downs...Baffert is extremely well connected worldwide, so don't underestimate what he can bring..
Oh, I know that.

I do want to make clear though, there's a lot of fainting spells in this sport. People pretend to be afraid of lawyers when they have nothing to be afraid of.

Churchill has ALL the cards here. They control the most important race in America. Nobody can touch them. If they back down, it will be because someone there wants to back down, not because they have anything to fear from Baffert or his friends.
Old 06-03-2021, 01:19 AM   #694
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
I realize that, but that means he should get a lifetime ban in a just world.

When you do bad things, sometimes you are forced to make choices you don't want to make. The price of Baffert coming back into the sport should be that he tells the whole truth.
The truth is that Baffert administered a drug that did not fully dilute by race day....The whole sport needs to go drug free, as they do in Hong Kong.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2021, 02:26 AM   #695
nijinski

RR , Hong Kong is not a good example .
Drugged horses are not good for consumption
But my main bitterness for HK racing is how many
horses who are not earning there keep get shot
Young ones too .
!
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2021, 09:27 AM   #696
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Were you looking at multiple tracks when a flagged play wasn't found in 7 months?
Yes.

But now you are beginning to understand why I said I don't bother searching for these horses daily. I load the database when I am going to play that day. Then I run a series of reports and queries (including this one). If I am not going to play that day, I won't bother going through the work of loading the database with PPs just because there might be one horse running somewhere that I'd be interested in. There would be too many days without one.

The point is these angles do exist if you have the data and work ethic to find them. They just don't provide enough action to justify the effort. You have to have many things in your bags of tricks to make it all worth while. That's a LOT tougher. But angles like this can be one of them.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 06-03-2021 at 09:31 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2021, 10:09 AM   #697
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2021, 10:26 AM   #698
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
I suspect a lot of people in horse racing don't fully internalize how badly "cheating at the Ky. Derby" plays to the public. You can say some of this stuff about a positive test in the 3rd at Santa Anita and it may work, because the general public isn't paying attention. But not here. Unless you can show your client didn't administer a restricted substance at all, a substantial punishment is going to be demanded.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:34 AM   #699
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

One that doesn't fit the crime. It's what mobs do.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2021, 10:43 AM   #700
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
The punishment that fits Baffert's crime is permanent removal for the sport. He had dozens of violations BEFORE this. And cheating in the Kentucky Derby is analogous to fixing the World Series, which got the Black Sox conspirators permanently banned from baseball.

2 years away from the Derby is QUITE lenient.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:30 AM   #701
Gamblin4ever

Monmouth Park released statement saying he is welcomed there, even with suspension.
Gamblin4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2021, 11:36 AM   #702
Gamblin4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
He should be banned from the sport. But i guess your part of the "MOB" that cares about just making a buck instead of the horses wellbeing. Lets turn a blind eye to the facts of repeat violations and horses dying in his care while training due to the drugs he has given to them. But, at least you made a few dollars.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:38 AM   #703
Gamblin4ever

Quote:
The punishment that fits Baffert's crime is permanent removal for the sport. He had dozens of violations BEFORE this. And cheating in the Kentucky Derby is analogous to fixing the World Series, which got the Black Sox conspirators permanently banned from baseball.

2 years away from the Derby is QUITE lenient.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:53 AM   #704
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamblin4ever View Post
Monmouth Park released statement saying he is welcomed there, even with suspension.
Not really surprising given what happened there for several years.

https://www.app.com/story/sports/202...ll/7517422002/
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2021, 12:27 PM   #705
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamblin4ever View Post
Anyone who actually bets that track would probably feel perfectly comfortable with him being there.