Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-10-2020, 08:14 AM   #1
sammy the sage

Free money...or basic income concept...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/twitter-b...215800428.html

will be interesting....hopefully they do it in those towns with less police force now...like NY, L.A., Seattle, Chicago, Detroit....ect...

Yes...getting paid NOT to work....gonna go over real well....LONG term....NOT....

But then again....in the end....like I've preached for 17 years here...just turn the USA into one GIANT zoo....that's THE ultimate goal....
Old 07-10-2020, 08:48 AM   #2
lamboguy

the fed is bailing out everyone and every asset class other than gold so far. maybe they will eventually bailout gold too because its not going up as fast as Microsoft, ZOOM, Facebook, Netflix and Amazon!
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2020, 09:19 AM   #3
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
This idea,usually called basic income or negative income tax ,was also floated back in the early 70's and nothing came of it except for the Earned Income Tax Credit.Milton Freidman advocated for it and even that well known liberal Richard Nixon had a plan.

One of the principles of economics is what (beyond a point) you tax you get less of and what you subsidize you get more of.So I'd be careful with this.Once you give something out,it's hard to take it back .

Now excuse me as I need to go charge my Obamaphone. .

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2020, 02:05 PM   #4
myohmyjustify

I worked for a very large mutual fund family before I quit to start a family. This was in the 1990s, before President Clinton's second term and before Bush, Obama and Trump.

A senior executive of our group had an informal lunch meeting with us and basically told us that some day, the Federal government will attempt to confiscate the billions of assets in private pension and savings programs.

He warned us that there will come a time when there will be more people taking benefits such as social security than contributing to the program and that there will come a time when they can't tax their way out of this mess.

Almost 30 years ago and I now fear he is becoming a little more correct in this prediction by the day. I pray for my kids that he will be proven wrong.
myohmyjustify is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2020, 07:06 PM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy the sage View Post

Yes...getting paid NOT to work....gonna go over real well....LONG term....NOT....
So if I agree to do absolutely nothing do I get a raise?
Old 07-10-2020, 09:12 PM   #6
sammy the sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
So if I agree to do absolutely nothing do I get a raise?
a free mirror...