Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 06-14-2020, 12:43 PM   #16
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
Person A buys the software. He has the docs that explain the fields of the csv output. Person B likes things for free. He knows Person A and asks for the csv file and the doc describing the fields. Person B obtains this information and loads the csv file into Excel or Google Sheets. Person B now has the program's output without paying for it. Person B has friends that have the same thoughts about free stuff. Pretty soon it gets to be like this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCjmDI4AJlk

Do you know what "proprietary" means ?

And YES....Person A buys program......and gives it to B C D E F G H etc..

You cant do anything about it....unless to register each one and stop the sharing...

But as to know what your coded factors are...they cant do that...
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2020, 12:52 PM   #17
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57 View Post
Do you know what "proprietary" means ?

And YES....Person A buys program......and gives it to B C D E F G H etc..

You cant do anything about it....unless to register each one and stop the sharing...

But as to know what your coded factors are...they cant do that...
Clearly you don't get it but yet you are implying that I am stupid and don't understand big words like "proprietary". Let me spell it out for you -- why in the f**k would a programmer want to do anything to reduce sales for a program that he/she has put tons of time into to provide unprotected output that anyone could share? You can't effing register a csv file -- it's unencrypted and not password-protected so it can be used in other software. Even if the program needs to be registered or has some other form of copy-protection the csv file cannot be protected as it would be unusable!!! Geezus, I'm done.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:03 PM   #18
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Clearly you don't get it but yet you are implying that I am stupid and don't understand big words like "proprietary". Let me spell it out for you -- why in the f**k would a programmer want to do anything to reduce sales for a program that he/she has put tons of time into to provide unprotected output that anyone could share? You can't effing register a csv file -- it's unencrypted and not password-protected so it can be used in other software. Even if the program needs to be registered or has some other form of copy-protection the csv file cannot be protected as it would be unusable!!! Geezus, I'm done.
Dont know why your getting in a tizzy here....

If your worried about sales , then dont sell it....but you cant stop people that want to improve their ROI's...

And for a fact , each of the big commercial guys commend users using their csv files for their research...

In JCapper , Jeff created a module to use info from "R" into his program...and wrote a detailed document.
If they aren't worried , then why are you....

Last edited by mikesal57; 06-14-2020 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:05 PM   #19
headhawg
crusty old guy

"I would like to raise two points..." (1:37)
Old 06-14-2020, 06:14 PM   #20
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
"I would like to raise two points..." (1:37)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJvqSbsPRj8
Do you want to talk about MISSILES?
Old 06-14-2020, 10:20 PM   #21
fast4522

Quote:
This is a very interesting line in the subject matter, in the case of Handifast there are no sales. The persons ability to use the data only hurts people who have a business and are selling software and systems. The exported data from handifast I don't see useful from one user to the next because I thing everyone uses the program differently. I think the market for horse racing is so small that it is owned by HSH & HTR outright. Unless there is new light between the two mayor vendors there will be no business, all that is left is betting at the windows.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: