Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 02-22-2018, 08:59 AM   #1
topgun

EquiSim by Thorotech

Hello Handicappers,

Are there anyone out there using this software with any success? I would like to hear anyone thoughts on this software.

Thanks,
Topgun
topgun is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2018, 10:33 AM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I know JustRalph was/is always a big fan of this program...he will probably have something to say about it...

I have always heard good things about it but never delved into it too much myself...is it still supported by the developer?
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2018, 11:09 AM   #3
headhawg
crusty old guy

AFAIK Nathan still supports ES, but doesn't have any plans to release a version 7. The latest (very stable) version -- 6.0.0.17 -- came out in 2010. The forums are not real active but also not totally dead. The dedicated users there are very supportive.

It used to be my favorite program. Lots of good stuff in it -- great UI, and lots of handy features like the File Organizer and several PP display options (including our own JR's Magic Marker!). ES also has a way to create custom formulas. This is one of the best features, but does require a basic understand of programming. And users would share their formulas which was cool. That was one of my favorite things about it. Optionally you can purchase an additional module (DB Direct) that lets you export data from ES into an Access database for more research capability.

So, why is it no longer my favorite? Short answer is I don't handicap much anymore. To make ES a viable program requires that you create a database. You need Bris data and results files. (I think it now works with .jcp files.) If you only play a track or two then it's not too bad in terms of affordability. Beyond that it gets pretty expensive imo. And you can't mix files because the data is different. If you commit to Bris .drf you have to stay with it or start a brand new database with you new data files. And users really need to d/l all of the races for each track even on days that you might not play. So if you're a weekend warrior or only play on occasion, ES probably is not right for you. And it pains me to type that as Nathan is a great guy (from what little I know of him) and ES is a really, really good program. It's just not for everyone.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2018, 11:10 AM   #4
Vinnie

Hello Topgun:

Equisim, I am quite sure is still alive and well. Yes, JustRalph can tell you a great deal about this program as he is very attuned to its many attributes. Both he and I have been fans of the Equisim program and its developer Nathan Miserocchi since its inception or early stages of development. Outstanding program that even allows the user to most effectively utilize results in a database to create their own effective and most lucrative plays. Many excellent users have even developed their own formula views (algorithms) which were awesome at fitting many types of plays like a glove to find those horses that one may often miss utilizing universal maxims or standard techniques often considered to be within traditional handicapping.

Wonderfully put together program by a Top Notch (Total Class Individual) in Nathan M.

At your convenience, if you are so inclined you can visit his site and reach out to him (I believe that he may still even offer a Demo Version) at:

www.thorotech.com

All the BEST!

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2018, 11:53 AM   #5
HarryS

equisim

Loved that program back in the day. Will the program run with today's technology?
HarryS is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2018, 12:08 PM   #6
Vinnie

HarryS:

Yes, the program runs perfectly fine on any Windows OS... It runs perfectly on Windows 7, 10, etc.. I still use it constantly along with several other handicapping tools (software) in my play. It works just as effectively today as it did when Nathan M. originally developed the program.

Vinnie

Old 02-22-2018, 12:26 PM   #7
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
AFAIK Nathan still supports ES, but doesn't have any plans to release a version 7. The latest (very stable) version -- 6.0.0.17 -- came out in 2010. The forums are not real active but also not totally dead. The dedicated users there are very supportive.

It used to be my favorite program. Lots of good stuff in it -- great UI, and lots of handy features like the File Organizer and several PP display options (including our own JR's Magic Marker!). ES also has a way to create custom formulas. This is one of the best features, but does require a basic understand of programming. And users would share their formulas which was cool. That was one of my favorite things about it. Optionally you can purchase an additional module (DB Direct) that lets you export data from ES into an Access database for more research capability.

So, why is it no longer my favorite? Short answer is I don't handicap much anymore. To make ES a viable program requires that you create a database. You need Bris data and results files. (I think it now works with .jcp files.) If you only play a track or two then it's not too bad in terms of affordability. Beyond that it gets pretty expensive imo. And you can't mix files because the data is different. If you commit to Bris .drf you have to stay with it or start a brand new database with you new data files. And users really need to d/l all of the races for each track even on days that you might not play. So if you're a weekend warrior or only play on occasion, ES probably is not right for you. And it pains me to type that as Nathan is a great guy (from what little I know of him) and ES is a really, really good program. It's just not for everyone.
Dam HH..

Do you know about every software made?

Mike
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2018, 12:47 PM   #8
topgun

EquiSim

PA,

I appreciate the reply back about this software.

Thanks!
topgun is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2018, 03:54 PM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I used to use ES and it was a very good program.
I still have a copy -not sure of the version. Does anyone know if Nathan still sells upgrades?

I would like to try out the part where you can put BRIS numbers into formulae - never got to that part of it.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:27 PM   #10
JustRalph
Just another Facist

The only thing I will add, these guys have covered it well, is do not ignore longshots that do well in the simulator. I bought my wife a new car once using the sim picks on Preakness day

The only weakness in using the simulator is that it doesn’t deal with track to track adjustments very well. Class is a factor here also.

Example:

Horse coming from Mountaineer to a Nyra etc. that horse can look golden in the sim off a big race at the mountain, but the tracks surfaces are so different, they run like shit in NY or out west. But it can go the other way too. Once you get used to it, you can spot horses that are going run better than the sim predicts. It just takes practice.

I highly recommend picking your own pace lines. The app lets you automatically do it, but if you pick the pacelines based on how you think the horse will run today, you will get more price horses once you get the hang of it. The app will sometimes pick a paceline for a horse, where the horse had a terrible trip, you want to choose another in that case.

I don’t play much anymore, but when I do I’m looking for longshots that do well in the equisim simulator. Especially on Breeders cup or Triple crown cards. They aren’t out there like they used to be, but while in Vegas last year on business we found some time in the sports book. ES pointed me out a nice $50 horse from the sim......a front runner who stayed on.....it was fun.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:27 PM   #11
KyRacer

Tom

Nathan does sell upgrades. I recently bought the upgrade. I had bought one of the real early versions around 2002, before the Formula View version. I was using another product at the time and didn't really get into that much. After all these years Nathan honored the upgrade price. I haven't bought the Data base program yet, but probably will.

I know a little bit about basic programming but not enough to build a program from the ground up. Instead of having to code import, storage, display, printing, scratch, paceline selection and many other routines, one can concentrate on the formulas and what and how you want information displayed on the grids. This looks like a good platform to build a program the way you would like it to work and look. I've always like the way Multicaps looked and worked. Something along that style with more information and arrange differently. I like information display on a grid with ranking numbers beside the rating figures. Also, would like to be able to sort on most columns. I think those things can be done in EquiSim. Now I have to make time to upgrade my programming skills.

Before I bought the upgrade, I downloaded the demo and tried it out on a file I had from Oakland Park Jan 28. I downloaded the demo version, loaded the file, took out scratches and ran the simulator with no adjustments. The sim charts had the winner of 6 of 9 races right on top, including 3 longshots. Hit the last pick 4. Unfortunately, I ran it on Jan 29. It may not have another day quite that good, but it made for a good selling point. I upgraded.

Race1: 5 Surprise Prize 25.60 12.00 8.40
Race4: 8 Oso Ready 8.60 4.80 3.20
Race6: 1 Five O One 3.40 3.00 2.40
Race7: 10 Big Red 37.60 13.80 8.60
Race8: 2 Awesome Gal 31.00 11.00 6.40
Race9: 4 Like a Haint 9.80 5.20 4.00

$.50 Pick 4 (1-10-2-4) (4 Correct) Paid: $5,276.75
Old 02-22-2018, 10:55 PM   #12
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Nice work, ky
Old 02-22-2018, 11:33 PM   #13
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57 View Post
Dam HH..

Do you know about every software made?

Mike
Let's just say that I have tried a few in my day, yeah. There are still some I haven't tried so I am making a bucket list. Eventually I would like to finish my own program and then maybe my collecting of handicapping software will be finished.

Last edited by headhawg; 02-22-2018 at 11:39 PM.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2018, 01:07 AM   #14
Vinnie

Beautiful KY Racer:

ES (Equisim) can be a deadly and extremely accurate horse racing software program. It is very precise in its approach and and the programs developer is "Top Shelf" in every regard.

Vinnie

Old 02-23-2018, 03:39 AM   #15
JJMartin

Can someone put some screenshots of what it looks like?
JJMartin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: