Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-19-2019, 04:44 PM   #706
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Except he'd been talking about running for President and winning as far back as the 80s. Need me to post the Oprah interview again?

Plenty of people on here (including you) think he's the biggest narcissist going. And you don't think he thought he had a chance? Hogwash.
As you say, narcissists are incapable of viewing themselves as losers.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2019, 05:00 PM   #707
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post

Plenty of people on here (including you) think he's the biggest narcissist going.
He is certainly a finalist by any standard. I never cared about that in itself. The problem is that it leads to his belief that his intuitive views, i.e., gut feelings, on economics and policy are better than what anyone else knows, and his refusal to take advice from knowledgeable experienced people in those fields.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:05 PM   #708
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
He is certainly a finalist by any standard. I never cared about that in itself. The problem is that it leads to his belief that his intuitive views, i.e., gut feelings, on economics and policy are better than what anyone else knows, and his refusal to take advice from knowledgeable experienced people in those fields.
How are most successful people any different? I watch Shark Tank. They are absolutely no different than Trump. Self made people tend to have high opinions of their viewpoints in all matters.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:26 PM   #709
wisconsin

Quote:
refusal to take advice from knowledgeable experienced people in those fields.

You mean like Ely?

Knows everything there ever was to know about anything.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:42 PM   #710
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
How are most successful people any different? I watch Shark Tank. They are absolutely no different than Trump. Self made people tend to have high opinions of their viewpoints in all matters.
Like this?

Quote:
President Donald Trump made a series of strange comments about the Federal Reserve in an interview with the Washington Post on Tuesday, bashing his Fed Chair Jerome Powell and displaying a deep misunderstanding of the institution's strategy.

"I'm doing deals, and I'm not being accommodated by the Fed," Trump told the Post. "They're making a mistake because I have a gut, and my gut tells me more sometimes than anybody else's brain can ever tell me."
https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...-brain-2018-11
Old 02-19-2019, 07:50 PM   #711
tucker6

Quote:
Yep. Nobody ever said Trump didn’t believe in himself. Everyone in Congress and many civil servants have a similar opinion of themselves. That’s why I don’t care about Trumps narcissism.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:07 PM   #712
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
Yep. Nobody ever said Trump didn’t believe in himself. Everyone in Congress and many civil servants have a similar opinion of themselves. That’s why I don’t care about Trumps narcissism.
I care about it because unlike the others you mention, he is to a large degree unconstrained. One member of Congress, no matter how egotistical, doesn't have the power to cause big problems. Smart people with big egos believe in themselves, but are smart enough to recognize when they are out of their area of expertise and experience. Smart people, big ego or not, get information and opinions from sources other than their gut.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:24 PM   #713
tucker6

Quote:
I care about it because unlike the others you mention, he is to a large degree unconstrained. One member of Congress, no matter how egotistical, doesn't have the power to cause big problems. Smart people with big egos believe in themselves, but are smart enough to recognize when they are out of their area of expertise and experience. Smart people, big ego or not, get information and opinions from sources other than their gut.
That’s why we have courts to arbitrate matters. No president is unconstrained with our court system. Just look at all the rulings against Trump. The system works as intended.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:04 PM   #714
barn32
tmrpots

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin View Post
You mean like Ely?

Knows everything there ever was to know about anything.
barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2019, 09:06 PM   #715
MargieRose

Quote:
Smart people always get information and opinions from informed sources (Do we know from this seemingly biased article that Trump did not?) but have learned to, ultimately, trust their gut instincts.

For what it's worth, I've learned over the years to trust my gut instincts on just about everything. I have learned to weigh information and facts and then rely upon my gut instincts to tell me which direction to take. Amazingly, never having been fully sure of the consequences, in retrospect, when deciding to rely upon my gut instincts, nine times out of ten I did not regret my decision.

I would recommend the precept to everyone.
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2019, 09:40 PM   #716
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargieRose View Post
Smart people always get information and opinions from informed sources (Do we know from this seemingly biased article that Trump did not?) but have learned to, ultimately, trust their gut instincts.

For what it's worth, I've learned over the years to trust my gut instincts on just about everything. I have learned to weigh information and facts and then rely upon my gut instincts to tell me which direction to take. Amazingly, never having been fully sure of the consequences, in retrospect, when deciding to rely upon my gut instincts, nine times out of ten I did not regret my decision.

I would recommend the precept to everyone.
Yes...when our decisions affect only us, then we can "wing it" and trust our gut instincts. But what happens when we are acting from a position of authority where these decisions also affect millions of other people? Do we dare to be that "adventurous" when the stakes are that high?
Old 02-19-2019, 09:55 PM   #717
Clocker

Quote:
What is the basis for calling the article biased? The Business Insider is a large and respected international provider of business news and analysis. From the article:

Quote:
During the interview, Trump gave incorrect figures on stock market growth since he's taken office and seemed to misunderstand that the Fed is increasing interest rates to make sure that inflation stays down and to break the "boom and bust" economic cycle.
Do you have evidence to doubt that?

Trump appointed Jay Powell as Chair of the Federal Reserve a year ago, presumably based on his gut instincts. And now Trump thinks everything the Fed does is wrong, based on his gut instincts. Why? Because the Fed, under this chair and the previous one, have been slowly increasing historically low interest rates back toward, but no where near, previous "normal" levels. And Trump is afraid that it will do great harm to "his" stock market boom.

Two points Trump may not be aware of. The Fed Chair doesn't make such decisions on his own. And the president can't fire the Fed Chair.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:59 PM   #718
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Yes...when our decisions affect only us, then we can "wing it" and trust our gut instincts. But what happens when we are acting from a position of authority where these decisions also affect millions of other people? Do we dare to be that "adventurous" when the stakes are that high?

Also, when making personal decisions, we do not have expert people at hand, whom we pay big bucks because of their experience and expertise in their fields. If your gut reaction was to hire such people for their knowledge and abilities, your gut reaction should also be to listen to them.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:06 PM   #719
MargieRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I imagine that Trump has learned to rely upon his gut instincts affecting, if not millions, thousands of people long before he became president. From a business perspective, it seems that, for the most part, it has served him/them well.

Trump, the businessman, was elected to office to effect a change...albeit a newbie to the business of government. I trusted my gut instincts in voting for him; I've yet to regret that decision.

I don't see the correlation between trusting one's gut instincts and winging it.
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2019, 11:29 PM   #720
thaskalos

Quote:
I imagine that Trump has learned to rely upon his gut instincts affecting, if not millions, thousands of people long before he became president. From a business perspective, it seems that, for the most part, it has served him/them well.

Trump, the businessman, was elected to office to effect a change...albeit a newbie to the business of government. I trusted my gut instincts in voting for him; I've yet to regret that decision.

I don't see the correlation between trusting one's gut instincts and winging it.
You don't see the correlation between trusting one's gut instincts and winging it...but you see the correlation between Trump the businessman, who was the dictator of his own companies...and Trump the POTUS...whose gut-instinct decisions may well affect the well-being of the entire WORLD? Your "gut instinct" to vote for Trump, even if you live to regret it, will have consequences which will pale by comparison to those of president Trump...should he eventually live to regret the gut-instinct decisions that he is being asked to make in his current job position.

And, on an unrelated note: If your gut instincts truly have a 90% success record...I hope, for your sake, that you are a horseplayer.

Last edited by thaskalos; 02-19-2019 at 11:34 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply