Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-27-2020, 12:07 PM   #151
GMB@BP

With ground loss cant wait to see the figure, wide both turns, must have lost like 6 lengths or so.

I also remember when 46 and 109 and change was a solid pace, not spectacular at Santa Anita. I did not watch any of the races the rest of the day for context so maybe this was blazing like last fall when track was slow.

Last edited by GMB@BP; 09-27-2020 at 12:08 PM.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2020, 01:01 PM   #152
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
With ground loss cant wait to see the figure, wide both turns, must have lost like 6 lengths or so.

I also remember when 46 and 109 and change was a solid pace, not spectacular at Santa Anita. I did not watch any of the races the rest of the day for context so maybe this was blazing like last fall when track was slow.
I have Improbable running approximately 3t1 and 4t2. Improbable ran about a length or so wider than Maximum Security, but the latter was closer to what I thought was a fast pace (all the speeds went, the track was not exactly lightning, and they crawled home). He also raced between horses in an uncomfortable spot much of the way and it looked like he didn't change leads until late.

Before the race someone on Twitter said Max Sec's last work looked even weaker than usual.

IMO, he ran better than it looks, but so did Midcourt. It wasn't exactly a stellar performance even though he didn't get his usual "I make my own good trip".

Last edited by classhandicapper; 09-27-2020 at 01:03 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2020, 04:36 PM   #153
burnsy
self medicated

Improbable is the example of a maturing race horse and an example of why healthy horses should not retire early. He’s just a horse that’s gotten better. It was a great ride. People make a big deal out of ground loss but he kept that horse in the clear with an easy gait going. While the others were bunched , slugging it out. Why wouldn’t he angle wide and swoop the group..... saved all kinds of energy early on. This horse Improbable , has finally turned the corner .
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2020, 05:00 PM   #154
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
Improbable is the example of a maturing race horse and an example of why healthy horses should not retire early. He’s just a horse that’s gotten better. It was a great ride. People make a big deal out of ground loss but he kept that horse in the clear with an easy gait going. While the others were bunched , slugging it out. Why wouldn’t he angle wide and swoop the group..... saved all kinds of energy early on. This horse Improbable , has finally turned the corner .
I agree...its how you capture what you said in an automated figure.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:06 PM   #155
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I agree...its how you capture what you said in an automated figure.
Yup, agreed, and saving ground sometimes gets you burnt too. These guys sometimes try to come up the inside and get stopped. Happens on the turf more. But jeez, that group in front was bound to get tired. The way the pace shook out. He took no chances and circled . Well done.

Last edited by burnsy; 09-27-2020 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:44 PM   #156
MJC922

The hype train on Bob should be in full swing by BC day. It might make Tom's d'Etat an automatic bet for me and with Tiz in there most definitely. The casuals will never see it coming. Tom who?
Old 09-27-2020, 08:01 PM   #157
Psychotic Parakeet
Sartin Methodology Fan

That Princess Noor filly won by open lengths, too. I don't see many trainers that have horses that seemingly re-break in the stretch to win so easily.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:45 PM   #158
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotic Parakeet View Post
That Princess Noor filly won by open lengths, too. I don't see many trainers that have horses that seemingly re-break in the stretch to win so easily.
the time was so pedestrian I would hardly be inspired by this effort, but maybe she is a 10k claimer juiced to the hilt, I mean its possible.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:40 AM   #159
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
The hype train on Bob should be in full swing by BC day. It might make Tom's d'Etat an automatic bet for me and with Tiz in there most definitely. The casuals will never see it coming. Tom who?
Definitely a horse to watch . The Saratoga race doesn’t even count. Never had a chance .
Old 09-28-2020, 10:44 AM   #160
classhandicapper

I haven't looked at the data yet, but it seems to me I've seen a LOT of very slow MSW and Stake winning 2yos from good barns this year compared to previous years. I'm beginning to wonder whether the Covid track closures and uncertainty has a lot of the 2yos further behind in their development than in the typical year.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:24 AM   #161
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
Definitely a horse to watch . The Saratoga race doesn’t even count. Never had a chance .
Not sure if it was by design by Tom's d'Etat took nearly 6 weeks to get back on the worktab following the Whitney. Is he supposed to run again before the BC?
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2020, 04:08 PM   #162
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Not sure if it was by design by Tom's d'Etat took nearly 6 weeks to get back on the worktab following the Whitney. Is he supposed to run again before the BC?
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...ek-for-classic

"Train up to" is my new most hated phrase in horse racing.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2020, 05:34 PM   #163
classhandicapper

Quote:
Stall considered running Tom's d'Etat in the $200,000 Hagyard Fayette Stakes (G2) Oct. 10 at Keeneland or the $250,000 Jockey Club Gold Cup (G1) that same day at Belmont Park but chose to pass those races because they offered only four weeks of rest leading into the Classic.
Now 4 weeks rest is coming back too quick?

Soon the Triple Crown will be run on the 1st Saturday of May in 3 consecutive years. We can run the Derby, Preakness, and Belmont all on the same day with 3 different crops.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:47 PM   #164
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post

Soon the Triple Crown will be run on the 1st Saturday of May in 3 consecutive years. We can run the Derby, Preakness, and Belmont all on the same day with 3 different crops.
Add to that, he had the horse treated by a acupuncturist. That says to me that something was wrong, and they had no idea what it was.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2020, 06:02 PM   #165
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post

For the past 10 months, Al Stall has wasted his breath telling us all the races Tom d'Etat was going to run in but for one reason or another never made it.

After he won the Clark he was supposed to run in the Pegasus, Saudi Cup, and Dubai World Cup.

Then he was supposed to run in the New Orleans Handicap, then he was supposed to run in the Oaklawn Handicap.

Then he decided he wanted to run in a 10 furlong race and said he'd ship to SA for the Gold Cup. Then he said he would run in the Blame Stakes as a prep for the Stephen Foster.

They can talk all they want about how "well" he runs fresh but the fact of the matter is that the two horses he defeated in his wins this year, Improbable and By My Standards, both continue to make starts and progress to top form while he sits in the barn. Coincidentally both reversed form on Tom's d'Etat in the Whitney with the aid of the latter's tardy start but there's also a decided fitness edge that is going to be an important factor on BC day.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: