Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 07-03-2018, 03:28 AM   #16
Jack950

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
The answer is that without a sophisticated computer model, you can't. Given takeout, there won't actually be a lot of horses that represent "value" and if they do, it will be marginal....i.e. getting 5:2 on a horse that actually should be 2:1 is really very good value. What you might be able to do over time is develop a reasonable feel. Also, understand that if you are playing exotics, vertical or horizontal, the diffusion of takeout through added positions can create better "value" than straight win odds.

The best chance you have at getting "value" is to effectively eliminate favorites. If you can accurately remove even a 4:1 shot, you have effectively eliminated the takeout. If you eliminate a 2:1 from the first two slots, you could dutch the field and make money. This is the best way to give yourself a chance to win.
Spot on. Good post
Jack950 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2018, 05:37 AM   #17
formula_2002
what an easy game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parson View Post
Trying to add another weapon in my arsenal. I have been a bit more selective on what races I wager the past few months. Fewer wagers have resulted in more profit at the end of the wagering day.
Now I want to really concentrate on my pick and only wagering if there is value instead of just wagering to pick a winner. My question is this: For those of you that only bet if you think the horse has value, meaning he is 4/1 and should be 2/1, is how do you determine if the horse should be 2/1?

I need a bit of help in that area and any suggestions would be much appreciated.
you are showing a PROFIT.?
you dont need our help, we need yours

" I pass with relief from the tossing sea of cause and theory to the firm ground of result and fact"
Winston Churchill
formula_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2018, 07:47 AM   #18
biggestal99

Quote:
The answer is that without a sophisticated computer model, you can't. Given takeout, there won't actually be a lot of horses that represent "value" and if they do, it will be marginal....i.e. getting 5:2 on a horse that actually should be 2:1 is really very good value. What you might be able to do over time is develop a reasonable feel. Also, understand that if you are playing exotics, vertical or horizontal, the diffusion of takeout through added positions can create better "value" than straight win odds.

Computer Models? dont need em. My takeout is 12%. I lay horses on the exchange to make money. so if I make a mistake valuing horses I pay though the nose. I have been handicapping horses a long time and know my horses.
Once the round reaches 97 or 98 or so thats when I find my underlays and bet them to lose. (or offer lower odds). But you are correct I concentrate on laying between 2.00 (evens) to 6.00 (5-1). I am right about 93% of the time. The other 7% yikes, I hurts when you lay a 4-1 that you think is going to lose; wins for fun.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2018, 08:15 AM   #19
Parson

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I will take it all into consideration and try and implement some of your suggestions, even those that remain unspoken and subjective
Parson is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2018, 08:53 AM   #20
jahura2

Quote:

The best chance you have at getting "value" is to effectively eliminate favorites. If you can accurately remove even a 4:1 shot, you have effectively eliminated the takeout. If you eliminate a 2:1 from the first two slots, you could dutch the field and make money. This is the best way to give yourself a chance to win.
Very helpful post. Good to have you back TLG!
jahura2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2018, 08:24 PM   #21
ultracapper

Eliminating the fav is the key. I don't know how many times I've found a horse in the 8 to 15 range that I knew would run, and then look at the fav and know damn well he would run also. Of course, the exacta is the answer for that, but I'm usually too slow to come up with that answer. The seldom times I play the exacta, I hate using the favs there also.

I know lots of guys make their own line, but I don't think it's as effective a way to find "value", or "price", as just simply eliminating the fav. So you walk away from a 7/5 because you think he should be 2/1. What about the 8/1 that you think should be 10? I'll bet that 8/1 all day if I really believe he's going to run and I'm pretty sure the shorter priced horses are susceptible.

Last edited by ultracapper; 07-04-2018 at 08:25 PM.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2018, 08:27 PM   #22
zerosky

A 4/1 horse on the tote board can be converted into the public's subjective probability of winning by removing the effects of the takeout.

P(pub)= (1-t)/(odds+1)

so if takeout is 16% then P(pub)= 0.84/5 =16.8%

If you believe its real chance of winning is 2/1 the the calculation of the probability does not involve take out (it will win one in three times) therefore P(your)= 33%

In this particular instance the whole line is probably out of whack due to a false favourite or something, or you have privileged information hidden from the public.

In the long term you would have to compare your odds with the public odds over the same selections to see if you really do have an edge. A good method would be to compute the Brier Score or Brier Skill Score.

http://www.statisticshowto.com/brier-score/
zerosky is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2018, 09:18 PM   #23
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula_2002 View Post
you are showing a PROFIT.?
you dont need our help, we need yours
Good point
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2018, 02:58 PM   #24
JeremyJet
Handicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
Computer Models? dont need em. My takeout is 12%. I lay horses on the exchange to make money. so if I make a mistake valuing horses I pay though the nose. I have been handicapping horses a long time and know my horses.
Once the round reaches 97 or 98 or so thats when I find my underlays and bet them to lose. (or offer lower odds). But you are correct I concentrate on laying between 2.00 (evens) to 6.00 (5-1). I am right about 93% of the time. The other 7% yikes, I hurts when you lay a 4-1 that you think is going to lose; wins for fun.

Allan
So you're betting with Betfair? I was wondering how it's going in New Jersey. I never see anyone talking about this subject. What kind of handle is Betfair generating in NJ?

My hope was that Betfair would expand to other states .... eventually. Nothing.
JeremyJet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-09-2018, 11:27 AM   #25
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyJet View Post
So you're betting with Betfair? I was wondering how it's going in New Jersey. I never see anyone talking about this subject. What kind of handle is Betfair generating in NJ?

My hope was that Betfair would expand to other states .... eventually. Nothing.
Handle was about 300,000 per week last June. (2017) (30% from old customers, 70% from new ones)

I am sure it continues to grow.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2018, 03:47 PM   #26
JeremyJet
Handicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerosky View Post
A 4/1 horse on the tote board can be converted into the public's subjective probability of winning by removing the effects of the takeout.

P(pub)= (1-t)/(odds+1)

so if takeout is 16% then P(pub)= 0.84/5 =16.8%

If you believe its real chance of winning is 2/1 the the calculation of the probability does not involve take out (it will win one in three times) therefore P(your)= 33%

In this particular instance the whole line is probably out of whack due to a false favourite or something, or you have privileged information hidden from the public.

In the long term you would have to compare your odds with the public odds over the same selections to see if you really do have an edge. A good method would be to compute the Brier Score or Brier Skill Score.

http://www.statisticshowto.com/brier-score/
What would be considered good results? What does a good Brier score look like?
Old 07-15-2018, 06:26 PM   #27
JerryBoyle
Veteran

Quote:
What would be considered good results? What does a good Brier score look like?
For something like horse racing, where your selections are multi class instead of binary, the Brier score is going to range from 0 - 2 with 0 being best and 2 being worst. It's best not to think of "good" vs "bad" in absolute sense, but rather, is this model's score better than the previous model? That said, in my personal experience, I had a model which was about break even over ~5k races with a Brier score of .773. One of the downfalls of using the Brier score is that it's not scoring your predictions relative to other bettors, which is what we would want if we plan to bet.

Personally, for scoring my predictions without actually running a betting simulation, I prefer something called Bayesian Information Reward. It has a natural fit with gambling, because it compares your estimates to the public's, and rewards you in cases where you had a prediction greater than the public when the event happens (or when you had a prediction less than the public when the event did not happen), and penalizes you in the opposite cases. The actual formula and a discussion about its properties can be found here: http://users.monash.edu/~korb/shadowfax/pubs/ai02.pdf. The formula is Definition 3 on page 4.
JerryBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2018, 09:25 PM   #28
JeremyJet
Handicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryBoyle View Post
For something like horse racing, where your selections are multi class instead of binary, the Brier score is going to range from 0 - 2 with 0 being best and 2 being worst. It's best not to think of "good" vs "bad" in absolute sense, but rather, is this model's score better than the previous model? That said, in my personal experience, I had a model which was about break even over ~5k races with a Brier score of .773. One of the downfalls of using the Brier score is that it's not scoring your predictions relative to other bettors, which is what we would want if we plan to bet.

Personally, for scoring my predictions without actually running a betting simulation, I prefer something called Bayesian Information Reward. It has a natural fit with gambling, because it compares your estimates to the public's, and rewards you in cases where you had a prediction greater than the public when the event happens (or when you had a prediction less than the public when the event did not happen), and penalizes you in the opposite cases. The actual formula and a discussion about its properties can be found here: http://users.monash.edu/~korb/shadowfax/pubs/ai02.pdf. The formula is Definition 3 on page 4.
Thanks for the reply.

I must be doing something different than you. I followed the link provided by the other poster and followed the instructions. Here are the Brier Scores I came up with:

I used 1 for the winner and 0 for the losers.

Last edited by JeremyJet; 07-15-2018 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:46 PM   #29
JerryBoyle
Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

I must be doing something different than you. I followed the link provided by the other poster and followed the instructions. Here are the Brier Scores I came up with:

If those are the scores for 4 races, that is possible. The score I posted is the mean of scores over 6024 races. Within that sample of 6k races, there are some (105) with scores within the range you've posted. However, if your scores are consistently as you've posted, whatever model you're using is significantly better than mine .

EDIT: over those 6k races, the public's final odds line using the win odds converted to probabilities had a brier score of .7698

Last edited by JerryBoyle; 07-15-2018 at 09:59 PM. Reason: food for thought
Old 07-15-2018, 09:56 PM   #30
JerryBoyle
Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

Also, note that you need to use the scoring rule for non binary events. E.g., don't divide by the number of runners within a race. For example, if your odds like looks like:

PGM Prob Winner
1 .12 1
2 .23 0
3 .05 0
4 .4 0
5 .2 0

Your brier score for that race is 1.03.