Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-15-2019, 06:33 PM   #481
dilanesp

Sacramento has to get control of the CHRB.

To put it mildly, a Sacramento-controlled CHRB would have disqualified Justify from the Santa Anita Derby....
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2019, 08:00 PM   #482
Robert Fischer
clean money

At least it sounds like they may have 'ousted' a pro-synthetic advocate
Old 11-15-2019, 09:03 PM   #483
The_Turf_Monster

We can go back and forth on the surface but when it comes down to it, the connections cause breakdowns. Research has shown they're nearly all preventable
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2019, 11:41 PM   #484
airford1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
We can go back and forth on the surface but when it comes down to it, the connections cause breakdowns. Research has shown they're nearly all preventable
Not to be rude but how many race horses have owned or trained for the races?
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2019, 08:28 AM   #485
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by airford1 View Post
Not to be rude but how many race horses have owned or trained for the races?
I think he may have meant that horses don't read conditions, do the planning and sign themselves up for races.

Since I have an experienced trainer on the line here, can I ask you what you thought about the scenario in my post #478? That might be a good example. Who is orchestrating this horse's, um-m-m, *career*?
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2019, 12:57 PM   #486
horsefan2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Will Hong Kong racing still exists once it becomes just like the rest of China?
I doubt China cares....just remember they closed down a bunch of golf courses because it reminded them of the bourgeoisie class. Nevermind that horse racing is one of the influences of the British empire and the Communist government are probably keen on erasing all signs of the past.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2019, 01:46 PM   #487
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsefan2019 View Post
I doubt China cares....just remember they closed down a bunch of golf courses because it reminded them of the bourgeoisie class. Nevermind that horse racing is one of the influences of the British empire and the Communist government are probably keen on erasing all signs of the past.
that was my point
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2019, 01:52 PM   #488
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
Your ignorance on the subject matter is profound as well as astounding.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:13 PM   #489
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Bloodhorse.com article by Frank Angst --
Comparing Equine Injury Rates Suggests U.S. Can Improve:
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...-s-can-improve

Quote:
BloodHorse compares equine safety numbers in U.S. to Britain, Japan, and Hong Kong.

An examination of three other major international jurisdictions suggests room for improvement in United States racing when it comes to equine fatalities during racing, although in some specific categories the U.S. is closer or comparable to other countries.

With a rash of equine deaths at the winter-spring meeting at Santa Anita Park bringing increased public scrutiny to the sport, BloodHorse reached out to several international jurisdictions to provide information on injury rates to allow for comparison.

ANALYSIS

Based on numbers from The Jockey Club Equine Injury Database in the U.S., the British Horseracing Authority, the Hong Kong Jockey Club, and the Japan Racing Association, the U.S. rates of equine deaths during racing are higher than Great Britain and Japan, and much higher than Hong Kong's rate. Hong Kong is far and away the lowest among these four jurisdictions.

Britain and Japan provided detailed total numbers as well as numbers broken out by surface. The HKJC provided a single rate for 2014-2018 as well as its 2018 rate, both of which were 0.6 per 1,000 starts.

It's worth noting that equine deaths during racing are rare in all four countries. For instance in Hong Kong, 99.94% of the starts are completed without such an incident. In the U.S. for the past five years on all surfaces, 99.83% of starts do not see such an incident.

When looking at such rare events, BloodHorse decided to examine the past five full years for which data was available to attempt to come up with meaningful numbers for comparison. As the 2019 numbers are not complete, BloodHorse examined the full years of 2014-2018.

For those five full years, the rate of such incidents in the U.S. was 1.67 per 1,000 starts, which is nearly three times higher than the 0.6 per 1,000 starts rate reported by the Hong Kong Jockey Club for those years. As noted, Hong Kong is far and away the safest among the four counties examined.

Still, the U.S. rate for the past five years also is 85% higher than the 0.91 per 1,000 starts rate reported by Great Britain in flat races; and 49% higher than the 1.12 rate for those years in Japan.

Note the bolded text in the above linked to Bloodhorse.com article. (Emphasis mine.)

How is it that, for the five full years being looked at, our equine fatality rate is nearly three times higher than that of the Hong Kong Jockey Club?

What are they doing in other countries that we are not?

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 11-16-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2019, 04:28 PM   #490
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post

Note the bolded text in the above linked to Bloodhorse.com article. (Emphasis mine.)

How is it that, for the five full years being looked at, our equine fatality rate is nearly three times higher than that of the Hong Kong Jockey Club?

-jp

Lying?
Old 11-16-2019, 04:31 PM   #491
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Quote:

-jp

Controlled drug use is start.
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2019, 04:34 PM   #492
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Lying?
Seriously?

-jp

Old 11-16-2019, 04:54 PM   #493
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
For those five full years, the rate of such incidents in the U.S. was 1.67 per 1,000 starts, which is nearly three times higher than the 0.6 per 1,000 starts rate reported by the Hong Kong Jockey Club for those years. As noted, Hong Kong is far and away the safest among the four counties examined.
That is great for a quick look without and details, but now let's look at things such as winter racing, off track races, cheap claimers, etc, Does HK even card races from the subgroups our breakdowns come from?
Old 11-16-2019, 05:30 PM   #494
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
That is great for a quick look without and details, but now let's look at things such as winter racing, off track races, cheap claimers, etc, Does HK even card races from the subgroups our breakdowns come from?
It's possible that HK gives a 'perfect world' bare minimum number for getting on a horse's back and racing them around a circle w/out other variables...

It's interesting to note/consider, but not applicable to our racing.

The 1.12 from Japan (which seems like a somewhat probable likelihood of being accurate records) is closer to what we could achieve with drastic reform. Drastic measures like eliminating cheap claimers and winter/off-tracks(IDK if the stats are there to support). I don't think US racing is anywhere near ready for that point now, but in fifty years or something, if social-norms continue to evolve,... who knows?

TBH, I expected higher numbers across the board (closer to 3/1,000 dirt, and 2/1,000 turf, maybe 1-1.5@HK). However the discussion works as long as the numbers are relative.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 11-16-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2019, 05:30 PM   #495
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Seriously?

-jp

Who audited the stats for any country? I don't know...do you?

Who audits any of these statistics? Who knows how accurate ANY of them are....are you serious?

I don't accept any of these stats at face value. For all I know, US could be 10x worse than any other nation...or 100x worse...or 100x better.

I doubt a country like Hong Kong's #1 priority is to make sure dead racehorses are counted accurately...

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 11-16-2019 at 05:32 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply