Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-19-2003, 11:58 PM   #1
anotherdave

Kelso Sturgeon

I picked up a second hand copy of "The Complete Guide to Horse Betting" (1993) by Kelso Sturgeon a few days ago. It surpisingly to me has no past performances, but a lot of talk about trainers, looking for trouble, claimed horses (chapter co-written by Steve Collison), jockeys. A lot of things that are not talked about in other books in this way. Although I'm not in complete agreement with him on everything, I am finding it a surprisingly good read.

I know he has a website (www.kelsosturgeon.com) where he sells mostly sports picks, but also some horse racing stuff. He has some racing systems and books (e.g. "They fix races don't they") for sale there too. Has anybody read anything else by him. The site is a too "buy my book and make it all back in a race" for me, but I am getting something out of this book. Does anybody have any experience with his other books or products?

AD
anotherdave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2003, 12:20 AM   #2
Figman

A half a step ahead of Mike Warren! Nuff said.
Figman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2003, 10:07 AM   #3
jk3521
Registered Loser

Kelso

If you want to read THE book on thorobred handicapping read
"Betting Thoroughbreds" by Steve Davidowitz. Any comment from me about Kelso Sturgeon would have to be severely censored !
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2003, 10:23 AM   #4
anotherdave

I've read pretty well everything. I just was surprised by Sturgeon's book. It had more in it than I expected. That is why I was curious. And I do agree, the website is very "Mike Warren"'ish. I guess I got my answer. I'll stay away.

AD
anotherdave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2003, 09:04 PM   #5
freeneasy

Kelso Sturgon, master crapper, handiCrapper that is

well c'mon jk give it up. I remember once I got a flyer in the mail hyping some super sonic secret system of his as well as his touting service. I called the phone number given. Kelso wasnt in at the moment but the voice that answered had this moronic ring to it. The guy was his assistent or something and had no background type info. to answer basic questions one might have concerning the makeup of the system, the guy didnt know squat. But he sure tried to talk me into buying this system n all. The guy sounded like he was half stoned out of his half mind.
so dont worry jk, weve all got a good story to tell about how weve all bee suckered before, and its nothing to be embarrassed about, and i, hehe, promise not to laugh if you want to tell about your runin with the greatest handicRapper around.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:18 PM   #6
railbird

Re: Kelso

Quote:
Originally posted by jk3521
If you want to read THE book on thorobred handicapping read
"Betting Thoroughbreds" by Steve Davidowitz. Any comment from me about Kelso Sturgeon would have to be severely censored !
I am in complete agreement with you , I purchased Sturgens "todays correct numbers" a few years ago and I am still seething every time I look at it, the following is a ten step approach to get the "CORRECT FIGURES"
1.. add these three factors...
2 ..double the figs from step 1
3.. add these other figures....
4 ..add steps 2 & 3
5 ..divide by 6....
6...divide by 10...
7...drop the fourth diget from step 6
8 ..add positive figs..
9 ..subtract negative figs..
10 ....you now have the correct #'s

THATS IT BUT WITHOUT ANY COPYRIGHT INFRINGMENTS

SOUNDS MORE LIKE A CARD TRICK
Old 04-28-2003, 10:36 PM   #7
SAL

Another book he wrote was totally worthless, it was "They Fix Horseraces Don't They?" or something like that. In the flyer he wrote how he was going to reveal how to spot these "stiff jobs". But the book did nothing to enlighten the reader on how to do it.

Luckily I wasn't the one to spend the $40 to find out he was a con artist.
SAL is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-29-2003, 08:57 PM   #8
freeneasy

yeah now i remember that flyer. the correct number. Man i mean to tell ya sturgon hyped that thing to no end, and being a numbers man, it was all i could do to resist. I was probably broke at the time and couldnt afford it otherwise i would have probally broke down and bought the damn thing.
and remember the one where he was selling a 15 lesson handicapping coarse, where he would send you all 15 lessons aweek at a time. yeah right, probably made it up as he went. yeah and i remember that crap about he had all the lowbown on the seedy side of horseracing, fixing races n all, probably made all that up as he went along to. former horse owner, jock agent, mourning line maker at Pimlico, handicapper extroadineair, and lets all not forget, one of the most trusted names in horseracing handicapping. KS, the man the myth the jipster. what a clown
Old 04-29-2003, 09:08 PM   #9
railbird

Hey Free who's really the clown . I fell for it ...he's the one laughing all the way to the bank because he is still in business conning idiots like myself.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:25 PM   #10
freeneasy

he never got any of my money but theres been others who have.
I just received a catalog from RPM and there are two items in there im interested in, ones on when to play and when to play against a beaten favorite. the other is on the trotters. kelso probably sold a lot of his systems. and comparatively speaking he was smart, he didnt give it that lemon merange pie in the sky $2000 dollars a day pitch but rather made his pitch witha more believeable type down to earth approach. the guys a rat fink and the squealy voice of his proves it.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:57 PM   #11
jk3521
Registered Loser

Thumbs down RPM

Speaking of the RPM catalog, I get a kick out of those "pretty boy" photos of "Tom Console" and "David Powers" shown in the catalog. I didn't give it much thought until one day I received a mailing from a local community college about their courses. In it was a representative photo of one of their students. Lo and behold, the student was none other than Tom Console! Evidently both the college and RPM catalog use stock photos from some modeling agency. Tom and Dave are probably two short pot-bellied balding guys around 50 yrs old. How can we trust their products when they hide behind false faces?
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2003, 02:52 AM   #12
lousycapper
Veteran

Kelso Sturgeon is my name and

CATCHIN' SUCKERS IS MY GAME. This lout couldn't pick his nose if you helped him. He and Mike Warren are birds of a feather. A pair of montebanks. If you want a few yuks read Mike Warren's "System of the Century". The problem with this piece of junk is you'll lose faster than playing the favorite in every race. My Dad bought it years ago. Too bad it wasn't printed on toilet paper. At least it would serve you in time of need.

-L.C.
lousycapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2003, 01:16 PM   #13
Trysharder

Mike Warren

I agree with the comments about Kelso Sturgeon but I want to say a nice thing about Mike Warren. He made me more money than any system or tout I have ever used. I used to get his Saturday selections. They rarely won but I noticed they frequently won their next outing. By keeping a record and parlaying them I constantly hit numerous parlays. 25 to 1 wasn't unusual and I hit over 40 to 1 on several occasions. My bubble burst when he dropped the service.
Trysharder is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2003, 10:58 PM   #14
MV McKee

I am not certain about Kelso Sturgeon's prowess at picking horses, but I am familiar with him from his charter membership in the
"People Who's First Name is a City In Washington and Who's Last Name is a Bottom Feeding Fish" Club, based out of Seattle (PWFNCWLNBFF for short!)

Other members include:

Kennewick Lingcod
Snoqualmie Flounder
Issaqua Catfish
Camas Grouper
Kalama Redsnapper (the groups first female member)
Spokane Sole

Anyway, take it easy on old Longview Caviar.....err, Kelso Sturgeon.....it's not easy to open a Racing Form without opposable thumbs.
MV McKee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2003, 01:20 AM   #15
kenwoodall
Horserace Psychic

DRF

If you throw it down and jump on it like a monkey like i do it will separate!
kenwoodall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: