Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 06-11-2018, 08:30 PM   #46
ArlJim78

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Sorry I'm late to this thread...great to see you back here (if only temporary ) and damn man...great job cutting all that weight. Truly amazing transformation. Impressive and admirable!
Thanks PA. Yep I'm fully transformed and not a day goes by that I don't think "what the hell man, why didn't you do this 20 years ago?"
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2018, 09:15 PM   #47
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78 View Post
Hey all, I've been awol from PA for some time.
Frankly got burned out on racing, also politics.
Then I started into weight loss, nutrition, diet, exercise, and well I've changed a lot in the past two years as you can see below.
I'm an avid runner now and have lost close to 190 pounds from my peak.
Back to a weight I haven't seen since a junior in high school, and feeling better than ever too.
I only check into racing on a few of the big days now. Frankly I just felt like I didn't recognize the game anymore and lost interest.
Anyway I hope all are doing well.
I see the same political storms are being fought on a daily basis around here by the same folks.
good luck to all.
Jim
I'm late checking in, as well. Glad to see you back.

But that is an incredible story and a testimony to what we can do if we put our mind to it. Kudos to you for your courage and perseverance. Now that you've put your hand to the plow, don't look back. (A biblical proverb but you would come to expect that of me, right?)
Old 06-11-2018, 10:26 PM   #48
ArlJim78

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
I'm late checking in, as well. Glad to see you back.

But that is an incredible story and a testimony to what we can do if we put our mind to it. Kudos to you for your courage and perseverance. Now that you've put your hand to the plow, don't look back. (A biblical proverb but you would come to expect that of me, right?)
thanks boxcar. Indeed I continue to move forward. I'm not resting on my laurels or basking in the glow of being a weight loss success story. I'm motivated to continue to put more and more distance between where I am now and my unhealthy past. hand to the plow, shoulder to the wheel, I just want to keep moving forward even if it's only at an incremental pace.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:11 PM   #49
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Hey Jim,

I read all your comments with interest and decided to give a lot of it a try. I'm down over 20 pounds already in about a month. I feel great, never really feel hungry, and my body sure appreciates the loss when I play tennis almost daily, especially the knees and feet.

Thanks for checking in!
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2018, 07:55 PM   #50
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

If you ever need 'em back, I think I found them~!
Old 07-27-2018, 08:06 PM   #51
thaskalos

It is vital that the horseplayers regain their health and vitality. Our game can ill afford any further declines in mutuel handle.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:58 PM   #52
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

So, when I go to the track, how does that affect my large beer and superdog with everything?
Old 07-30-2018, 07:17 PM   #53
ArlJim78

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Hey Jim,

I read all your comments with interest and decided to give a lot of it a try. I'm down over 20 pounds already in about a month. I feel great, never really feel hungry, and my body sure appreciates the loss when I play tennis almost daily, especially the knees and feet.

Thanks for checking in!
Wow cj that is an awesome month.
May I ask what specific changes you've made that brought this about?
Old 07-31-2018, 05:40 PM   #54
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Wow cj that is an awesome month.
May I ask what specific changes you've made that brought this about?
I've pretty much went the carnivore diet. It wasn't hard for me since I really don't like vegetables though I'll probably add them back in at some point. I'm done with snacking, the breads, cereals, stuff like that. About the only cheat I've had is eating popcorn at the movies a couple times. That is it.

I'm really not eating much. I know they say to eat until you are full, but in all honesty it isn't taking much to fill me up and don't find myself getting hungry. I'm still exercising regularly, but I was already doing that and all it did was allow me to eat more. I'd get really hungry afterwards. I go to the gym five times a week and do 30 minutes of cardio and then lift weights for about an hour. I do legs twice a week, and arms, chest and back the other two days. I do abs every day. The fifth day, usually Wednesday, I just do cardio for 60 minutes.

I still play tennis way too much, but it was really starting to beat me up with the extra weight I was carrying around. I try not to weigh in too often but did this morning, currently down 22.2 pounds. I'm not really setting an overall goal because I don't have a number in mind. I'm thinking I'll know when I feel how I want to feel. But I'd probably need another 22 pounds to even think I'm where I want to be.

I haven't done any traveling but have a few trips scheduled the next few months. That will be a new experience for me and probably a challenge, but I'll figure it out. My wife is doing this too so it helps make it easy at home. She is having very good results also.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:45 AM   #55
reckless
Veteran

Jim... sorry I've been so late to this and to your story.

Congrats! Keep up the great work. When I went on a cardiac build up routine I decided a few extra pounds off -- with subsequent life style changes -- was the key to kick start my ambitions.

In the past, I would joke to my friends that I only 'eat twice a day... from 9 till noon, and from 4 to seven'. Well, yes, it did get its share of yuks but looking back I think that actually was my eating habits. I either ate because I was hungry, or I ate because I liked the taste of food.

Two things later hit me between the eyes when I was rolling along on this journey: I learned I didn't need all the food I usually consumed and my handicapping and betting successes increased profoundly as well.

I am not kidding about not needing much food once I got over the original cravings and (bad) habits. I realized I simply didn't need as much. I eat just one meal a day now for dinner. For breakfast and lunch I juice and eat some yogurt, a sour taste I 'forced' myself to like because I knew the added benefits of it. Now, I love it and the morning juicing doesn't have me running to the bathroom every three minutes any more!

The handicapping successes is true too and not a bald-faced lie!! I'm thinking clearer and betting more confidently and I attribute it to a healthier diet.

Thanks again for sharing your story with us Jim. Continued good health, success and happiness from this typist and from all your friends here on PA.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2018, 08:16 AM   #56
ArlJim78

Quote:
I've pretty much went the carnivore diet. It wasn't hard for me since I really don't like vegetables though I'll probably add them back in at some point. I'm done with snacking, the breads, cereals, stuff like that. About the only cheat I've had is eating popcorn at the movies a couple times. That is it.

I'm really not eating much. I know they say to eat until you are full, but in all honesty it isn't taking much to fill me up and don't find myself getting hungry. I'm still exercising regularly, but I was already doing that and all it did was allow me to eat more. I'd get really hungry afterwards. I go to the gym five times a week and do 30 minutes of cardio and then lift weights for about an hour. I do legs twice a week, and arms, chest and back the other two days. I do abs every day. The fifth day, usually Wednesday, I just do cardio for 60 minutes.

I still play tennis way too much, but it was really starting to beat me up with the extra weight I was carrying around. I try not to weigh in too often but did this morning, currently down 22.2 pounds. I'm not really setting an overall goal because I don't have a number in mind. I'm thinking I'll know when I feel how I want to feel. But I'd probably need another 22 pounds to even think I'm where I want to be.

I haven't done any traveling but have a few trips scheduled the next few months. That will be a new experience for me and probably a challenge, but I'll figure it out. My wife is doing this too so it helps make it easy at home. She is having very good results also.
Wow that is great.
So how many times per day are you eating?
Also, have you noticed any changes, such as energy, alertness, changes to mood, joint pain, effectiveness with the lifting, etc?
Old 08-01-2018, 09:56 AM   #57
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Wow that is great.
So how many times per day are you eating?
Also, have you noticed any changes, such as energy, alertness, changes to mood, joint pain, effectiveness with the lifting, etc?
I eat two or three times.

I definitely have more energy, joints haven't hurt like before, and maybe I'm crazy but I'd swear my allergies (the seasonal ones but I tend to have them all year) have been non-existent. I was feeling tired a lot previously and that has gone away.

I'm always in a good mood so that hasn't changed.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:43 AM   #58
ArlJim78

Quote:

I definitely have more energy, joints haven't hurt like before, and maybe I'm crazy but I'd swear my allergies (the seasonal ones but I tend to have them all year) have been non-existent. I was feeling tired a lot previously and that has gone away.

Okay thanks. I've seen so many accounts of people who went to carnivore eating and saw big changes and healing. I myself migrated from a very low carb diet to meat only, so I wasn't expecting much difference but I did. I feel the best I can remember in my adult life eating this way. I never have a headache or indigestion anymore when they used to be a daily occurrence.
I would not be surprised if it is the reason for your allergy improvement.

The eating once per day part is part of it as well for me.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:49 AM   #59
ArlJim78

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
Jim... sorry I've been so late to this and to your story.

Congrats! Keep up the great work. When I went on a cardiac build up routine I decided a few extra pounds off -- with subsequent life style changes -- was the key to kick start my ambitions.

In the past, I would joke to my friends that I only 'eat twice a day... from 9 till noon, and from 4 to seven'. Well, yes, it did get its share of yuks but looking back I think that actually was my eating habits. I either ate because I was hungry, or I ate because I liked the taste of food.

Two things later hit me between the eyes when I was rolling along on this journey: I learned I didn't need all the food I usually consumed and my handicapping and betting successes increased profoundly as well.

I am not kidding about not needing much food once I got over the original cravings and (bad) habits. I realized I simply didn't need as much. I eat just one meal a day now for dinner. For breakfast and lunch I juice and eat some yogurt, a sour taste I 'forced' myself to like because I knew the added benefits of it. Now, I love it and the morning juicing doesn't have me running to the bathroom every three minutes any more!

The handicapping successes is true too and not a bald-faced lie!! I'm thinking clearer and betting more confidently and I attribute it to a healthier diet.

Thanks again for sharing your story with us Jim. Continued good health, success and happiness from this typist and from all your friends here on PA.
Yes I 've found that we eat way too often and it is harmful to do so. The eating window each day ideally should be minimized as much as possible.
Congrats to you for making positive changes. The food we eat is THE most fundamental predictor of our health, mood and quality of life.
Thank you!
Old 08-01-2018, 12:36 PM   #60
ArlJim78

Quote:

One other option, they are collecting stories at meatheals.com
from people who switched to a meat diet. If you feel like it you can tell your story there, or at least you might find it interesting to look over the recorded results of others.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: