Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 01-29-2018, 05:44 PM   #1
Teach

Super Bowl LII Prediction

I’ll preface my remarks by saying I’m a longtime Patriots fan (I grew up in a section of Boston called Dorchester). I saw a handful of Patriots games in 1960, their first season in the then fledgling AFL. In those days, the Pats played at various venues throughout the Greater Boston area, including Harvard Stadium. I recall their early quarterbacks: Ed “Butch” Songin (he was also an outstanding hockey player) and Vito “Babe” Parilli. I remember when the then Boston Patriots drafted a running back out of Syracuse University named Gerhard Schwedes. I would later, in the early-1980s, serve as CBS in Boston’s Manager of the New England Patriots radio network.

Yet, having said all that, I’m picking the Philadelphia Eagles in Super Bowl 52. As much as I’d love to say that I believe the Patriots are going win the Super Bowl -- I can’t. I can’t, in good conscience, predict a Patriots victory. Why?

First, I think the Eagles are better team. I’m not saying their coach, Doug Pederson, a back-up quarterback for several teams during his NFL career (he backed up Brett Favre when the Packers beat the Patriots in Super Bowl XXXI) is better than Bill Belichick. Yet, I think Pederson has the personnel to come away with the victory.

My contention is that Pederson will be blitzing Tom Brady. I think Pederson will be bringing tremendous pressure. My feeling is: So goes Brady, so goes The Patriots. If Brady is repeatedly flushed out of the pocket and/or sacked, the chances of a Patriots win become greatly diminished. I’m sure that the Eagles defensive coordinator, Jim Schwartz, will come up with all kinds of defensive stunts. I’m also pretty certain that Rob Gronkowski will get double-coverage.

I suppose the “wild card” in all this is the performance of Eagles back-up quarterback Nick Foles. A lot hinges on his performance. Personally, I think he’s going to be equal to the occasion.

I know all this sound like football blasphemy, a “Boston Boy” picking the Eagles. But I have to think with my head, not the emotions of my heart. The last I saw the spread was Patriots – 4.5 to -5. The over-under was: 48.

Let me preface my prediction with this disclaimer: My pick is my own and is based on my personal opinion; it is based solely on my assessment of the personnel on both teams.

Philadelphia Eagles: 42, New England Patriots: 17

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2018, 05:54 PM   #2
burnsy
self medicated

I agree, but i thought Atlanta was better and Seattle was better.....then they lost to them. The years I thought the Patriots were better......they lost to the Giants. Although, the first time I thought they peaked too early trying to go undefeated. But they are hard to figure out. When they look like easy winners they lose, when the other team looks better........they win.....
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2018, 06:09 PM   #3
thaskalos

PHI....24.7
N.E.....23.6
Old 01-29-2018, 06:29 PM   #4
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Eagles 26, Patriots 20.It is rare that the Pats get blown out and it's already happened once this season (KC).I think that the Eagles control the game but the Pats get some last second points to make it closer than it seems.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2018, 06:53 PM   #5
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
I agree, but i thought Atlanta was better and Seattle was better.....then they lost to them. The years I thought the Patriots were better......they lost to the Giants. Although, the first time I thought they peaked too early trying to go undefeated. But they are hard to figure out. When they look like easy winners they lose, when the other team looks better........they win.....
Well said!

I need the Pats to nab the show spot in a Super Bowl pool. So I'm playing the Eagles plus the points and hoping to middle the game.

But I have to say this. Watching Philly local stations there is no doubt the locals feel like the Eagles are going to soar. Which is much different to the mood in the city in 1980 when it seemed like the city was holding it's breath before the Raider game.

Funny thing is Vegas favored the 1980 Eagles by 3 over the Raiders. And now the Eagles are getting more than a field goal. But the letdown is going to be much worse if the Eagles lose this time around.

I have no idea why.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:09 PM   #6
lamboguy

the only problem i have with the Eagles is that they seem to be a very physical team, but they don't really have any blazing speed. i have been trying to figure out how they can win because i have a future bet on them at 41-1 split with a friend. its a very difficult decision what to do here. ordinarily, it would be easy, just bet my potential win on the Pats. but the Pats have not been that sharp in the playoffs and they look like they have slowed down a bit. most likely i am going to bet half back and take a profit. i was wrong last week vs. The Jags. i don't feel like being wrong 2 weeks in a row.

the only guess i can make is that this game will be a blowout one way or the other. if i am right on that account, i would suggest betting the game with action points if there is anyone that still takes those these days.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2018, 09:15 PM   #7
Robert Fischer
clean money

Neither team would surprise me.

If pressed, my guess would be:

Patriots 31 Eagles 21
Old 01-29-2018, 11:02 PM   #8
jay68802

Philly needs to:

1. That guy, uhmmm, Gronk. Stop him, this guy can not be allowed to beat you.

2. Brady is good under pressure when he can stay in the pocket. The key is to make him move his feet under pressure. Get him off his mark with a quick rush. Just a quick rush and Brady will eat you up.

Patriots need to:

1. Take the short game away. Stop the screens and underneath stuff.

2. Control the tempo of their offense, do not let Foles dictate the tempo, if you do you can get behind by a lot, quickly.

Should be a good game to watch.

New England 23

Philly 21
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2018, 09:36 AM   #9
BaffertsWig

This game will look like a toss-up in the first half, but as we've seen thus far Brady and the Pats will really come alive in the second half and blow it open.

The only thing for sure is that win or lose, the city of Philadelphia will burn to the ground.
BaffertsWig is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2018, 12:12 AM   #10
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
PHI....24.7
N.E.....23.6
Looks like Hoyle has updated the scoring rules, again. Personally, I think the game started a downhill trend in 1898 when a touchdown became worth five points, instead of four.

Don't know about the game, but the mortal lock of the day is:

Justin Timberlake's "surprise guest"
12-1 Brittany Spears

Janet Jackson will be cooling her heels back in LA.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2018, 02:59 AM   #11
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Philly up 31-3 at half with Foles throwing for 220+ and 3 TDs.

Pats win 48-45 on a last second FG as Brady throws for 438 yards and 5 TDS in the 2nd half and trots off the field shaking a Joe Namath #1 finger in the air.

And I hate the Patriots.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2018, 08:36 AM   #12
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I guess you'll be taking the Over.

rastajenk is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2018, 05:02 PM   #13
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaffertsWig View Post
This game will look like a toss-up in the first half, but as we've seen thus far Brady and the Pats will really come alive in the second half and blow it open.

I think Belichick is going to try to flip that script this year. He knows if they fall behind this time they are probably doomed. Philly's "MO" all year is to pull ahead and smother the opponent. That's their game plan. They have the best second half defense in this league. They gave up zero points in the second half through the two playoff games. Belichick has to be thinking score first this year even though they usually "feel out" the first quarter, that is not a way to beat the Eagles. The Eagles defense plays an opposite game of the Jaguars. The Jags came out strong in the playoffs and then tired in the second half. This happened against the Steelers and the Patriots. The Eagles defense comes out loose (that's when you can burn them), as the game goes on they tighten the noose like a boa constrictor and adjust. The Vikings and Falcons scored early then they were stifled like trapped prey.

On defense the Patriots have to get a turnover or two early on. I can't see them out defensing the Eagles without a turn over advantage. My prediction is you will know who the winner is by half time. If New England is behind like they were vs. the Jags two weeks ago or like last year vs. the Falcons. They will be playing right into the Eagles wheel house.........that's how they win football games. Bill Belichick knows this, he's smarter than i am at this game and he loves to take away the other teams first "plan". I predict the Patriots will come out swinging or they will be in deep trouble........this ain't no Falcon defense from last year. That's why the Falcons updated their defense this year. Philly is great at getting the lead and closing out, that's their strength.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2018, 08:39 PM   #14
Secondbest

Something I don't understand. Pats opened as 5 1/2 - 6 point favorites. The O/U is 48. The line is now 4 1/2 or 4. Yet the O/U is still 48 with the pats at. 27 and Philly at 21 1/2. Shouldn't the pats have gone down and Philly up?.
And not staying the same.
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-02-2018, 06:10 PM   #15
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Philly needs to:

1. That guy, uhmmm, Gronk. Stop him, this guy can not be allowed to beat you.
Gronk's back from a concussion, of course. However, I'd never discount Amendola in a playoff game. Lord knows, not in this one after his performance two weeks ago.

I can't wait for kickoff.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: