Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Horseplayers Association of North America (H.A.N.A.)

Old 10-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
Rook

HANA: Fight for TSN Customers

The recent decision by Churchill Downs to shut down TSN and abandon ProCap files is the sort of event that should get the attention of HANA. It is a perfect example of a company crapping on horseplayers without consideration to the damage that they are doing to the sport.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who has spent a tremendous amount of time working with ProCaps under the reasonable assumption that they would be around for many years to come.

Pulling the rug out from under us means that instead of betting, handicappers like me will be spending months of their time in software development coming up with a replacement. In other cases, this will be the final straw for many already disgruntled bettors. The clear result will be millions in lost handle.

If Churchill feels they aren’t making enough money with ProCaps, then they should raise the price. Although increasing data costs is not the way to grow the industry, it wouldn’t be outrageous to charge the same amount as HDW and DRF. However, it is absolutely disgraceful to break the software and databases that loyal customers have built up over the years.

Please HANA: get involved with this issue.
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I don't use ProCaps, but I would second the motion. It sets a bad precedent.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
Horseplayersbet.com

I don't know why Brisnet couldn't just take over the business. They are in the same building after all, I believe.

Horseplayersbet.com is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
andymays
Veteran

I don't use them but I'm willing to participate in a email/phone call campaign on your behalf!

Hey Dean, this might be one of the issues that fits with my proposal. May be a good test case. What do you think?

Last edited by andymays; 10-14-2009 at 12:05 PM.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
the_fat_man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook
Please HANA: get involved with this issue.
HANA really needs to get involved with the broader issue: FREE DATA.

There's no reason comma delimmited result files, basic information, should not be made available to anyone who wants them

They can then tweak them as they see fit.

Anyone wanting 'specialty' data, can then pay for it. There'll still be money to be made for the data providers.

THIS should be HANA's #1 priority.

THIS is doable.

Especially given some of the positive things happening at EQUIBASE recently.
the_fat_man is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2009, 12:26 PM   #6
miesque

I have a question since this is the first that I have heard of this issue so please bear with me. Are they migrating to another platform and if so have they provided the ability for conversion of existing files? Does anyone know why it was discontinued? Was it because sales of the product have sagged and its no longer a profitable product to offer?
miesque is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2009, 12:40 PM   #7
Nets

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fat_man
HANA really needs to get involved with the broader issue: FREE DATA.

There's no reason comma delimmited result files, basic information, should not be made available to anyone who wants them

They can then tweak them as they see fit.

Anyone wanting 'specialty' data, can then pay for it. There'll still be money to be made for the data providers.

THIS should be HANA's #1 priority.

THIS is doable.

Especially given some of the positive things happening at EQUIBASE recently.
I agree with this.

I don't see why Bris doesn't offer various purchase discount plans. Why not 5 track unlimited or 10 track, etc. Many probably don't want Every track every day. Seems like any such deals would only increase usage overall and thus increase handle. Just my opinion.

Gary
Nets is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2009, 12:58 PM   #8
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I am all for free data, but I think that is too big a step right now. They have to pay people to get us the data, and cutting out a revenue source probably isn't very realistic right now.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
miesque

By the way, I am sure the idea of free data must make the private equity that severely overpaid for the Daily Racing Form back in 2007 feel all warm and squishy inside. They are probably already not too happy that they have lost customers to BRIS since those PPs are free for Twinspires customers.
miesque is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2009, 01:24 PM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesque
By the way, I am sure the idea of free data must make the private equity that severely overpaid for the Daily Racing Form back in 2007 feel all warm and squishy inside. They are probably already not too happy that they have lost customers to BRIS since those PPs are free for Twinspires customers.
I believe TFM is talking about basic information. All the providers offer value added (to somebody) information. I guess it would show right away how much value that data really has.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:16 PM   #11
rokitman
Registered BSer

Base level info should be free. Not anything with value added. Just getting the last 8 or 10 running lines should not cost anybody anything. Pace/Speed figures, and anything else beyond what you see in a standard running line, you still pay for.
rokitman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #12
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Just had a conversation with Corby and Happy at Brisnet.com.

Bottom line:

If you are a current TSN Advantage Plan subscriber as of 10/01/2009 you will have the option of continuing your data subscription at the same price with Brisnet.com. You will have access to an equivalent Brisnet data file.

Brisnet.com will be doing everything within reason to ensure that this transition for TSN Advantage Plan subscribers goes as smoothly as possible.

Working on a short write up of the facts/details as relates to the transition.

Will come back to this thread later today once that write up is complete and all of the facts in my write up have been verified by Brisnet.com

Jeff Platt

President, HANA

http://www.HorsePlayersAssociation.com

Old 10-14-2009, 04:34 PM   #13
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
My impressions from the overall tone of the call were positive. I believe that Brisnet really does want to make the transition for TSN Advantage Plan subscribers go as smoothly as possible:

Here's a brief write up of what was discussed on the call:

* TSN will be absorbed by Brisnet on 11/17/2009

* Current TSN Advantage Plan subscribers will be "grandfathered in" and have the option to extend their data subscriptions through the end of 2010. Grandfathered in means the same monthly fee and access to an equivalent data file.

* Non TSN subscribers will not be grandfathered in and new TSN Advantage Plan data subscriptions became no longer available as of 10/01/2009.

* Grandfathered in TSN .PCS file subscribers will be given access to Brisnet MultiCaps .MCP files at the same monthly data subscription fee currently being paid to TSN.

* Brisnet's immediate goal is simple: Current TSN data subscribers will enjoy a seamless transition to the new Brisnet equivalent data file type without an increase in price.

* Yet to be determined at this time is what happens at the end of 2010.

Final comment from Happy Broadbent of Brisnet.com:
Quote:
"As I said on the phone, we are here to take care of your customers and to be sure that the transition is smooth for them. We have set up a specific email address to answer any customer questions:

tsninfo @ brisnet . com
(remove the blank spaces first)

Or they can contact us by calling:

8 0 0 - 3 5 4 - 9 2 0 6
option 5."
Now you know what I know.

-jp

Old 10-14-2009, 06:58 PM   #14
CincyHorseplayer

I'm guessing there will be an email with a change of address site???And I assume accounts info and screen name/password info will remain the same???
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2009, 09:16 PM   #15
Handiman
BarelyWinning

I had to speak to TSN's tech department today, and while on the phone I asked them what was up, and they confirmed what Jeff has put out here.

I have the advantage plan and as long as I continue making the monthly payments all will be well till the end of next year. But they said once a subscriber defaults or quits for any reason that is the end of the ole advantage plan for them.

Handi
Handiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: