Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 01-02-2021, 11:51 PM   #1
ultracapper

How are these two horses eligible?

I'm huge into understanding race conditions and try to keep up on all the subtleties that are written into them, but in the 1st at Santa Anita on 1/3/2021, I can't figure out for the life of me how the or are eligible for this race. They both won at MSW, and they've both cleared this class condition, though in AOC, but neither were in for a tag in their state bred AOC wins. Is there a surface allowance? They get to clear statebred N1X on both dirt and turf? Whatever is going on here, I'm not privvey to it. I see the has already run at this condition again 2 more times since clearing it, albeit, clearing it on dirt, and then competing the next 2 times on turf. The surface is the only thing I can guess. Anyone know the skinny on this?

Knowing conditions is very important in handicapping. This one has me flummixed.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2021, 12:35 AM   #2
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
I'm huge into understanding race conditions and try to keep up on all the subtleties that are written into them, but in the 1st at Santa Anita on 1/3/2021, I can't figure out for the life of me how the or are eligible for this race. They both won at MSW, and they've both cleared this class condition, though in AOC, but neither were in for a tag in their state bred AOC wins. Is there a surface allowance? They get to clear statebred N1X on both dirt and turf? Whatever is going on here, I'm not privvey to it. I see the has already run at this condition again 2 more times since clearing it, albeit, clearing it on dirt, and then competing the next 2 times on turf. The surface is the only thing I can guess. Anyone know the skinny on this?

Knowing conditions is very important in handicapping. This one has me flummixed.

I think the Del Mar summer book first wrote in the ability to clear the state-bred nw1 condition level on both turf & dirt, and I guess Santa Anita has followed suit. I remember when I first saw this happening I was perplexed as well how horses were eligible, but I remember finding the fine print mentioning this option. Also when Northern California tracks come into play I don't think winning allowances races there affect eligibility in the southern circuit. I think overall this condition book option is a cool idea, I wonder if any tracks with a decent state-bred program (NY, FL, CA etc) would consider opening up variations on this this down the road as well, whether it's clearing a condition by surface or say route vs sprint.

Last edited by SG4; 01-03-2021 at 12:36 AM.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2021, 12:55 AM   #3
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
I think the Del Mar summer book first wrote in the ability to clear the state-bred nw1 condition level on both turf & dirt, and I guess Santa Anita has followed suit. I remember when I first saw this happening I was perplexed as well how horses were eligible, but I remember finding the fine print mentioning this option. Also when Northern California tracks come into play I don't think winning allowances races there affect eligibility in the southern circuit. I think overall this condition book option is a cool idea, I wonder if any tracks with a decent state-bred program (NY, FL, CA etc) would consider opening up variations on this this down the road as well, whether it's clearing a condition by surface or say route vs sprint.
Thank you SG4. I don't know how I missed that at Delmar.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: