Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-06-2017, 11:44 PM   #31
Cratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
The jockey sure made the difference on my pick, Oscar Nominated, in the Woodford...thanks Mike Smith

Could you have been any wider around both turns despite sitting practically last through much of the race? And oh yeah, the horse who won, who was back there with you, managed not to be 6 wide around both turns...and that's why he won and you lost.
I didn't bet the Woodford, but I will echo an old saying about jockeys: "jockeys can't make a horse win, but hey can make a horse lose".

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2017, 10:13 AM   #32
Dahoss9698
Veteran

I thought CD favored the inside for much of Friday and Saturday. Which makes the fact most riders avoided the rail during the Derby all the more bizarre.

Kudos to Corey Lanerie for getting it, he rode a fantastic race. Joel Rosario also put up a phenomenal ride somehow getting to the rail from the 19 post before the first turn.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2017, 09:31 PM   #33
mannyberrios
easygoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698 View Post
That's fine. There are a lot of ways to make money in this game. And I don't think having a discussion means obsessing. I mean can't you factor something into your equation without obsessing? I know I can.

Here's my point in a nutshell. If I like a horse and I see someone like Eric Cancel up, I think twice about making my bet. If I see Castellano up I have no hesitation. If I see a rider switch to someone like Castellano over someone like Leparoux I run to the window. I didn't use to do that but years and years of extensive replay watching has led me there.

I think you absolutely have to factor a riders style into the equation nowadays considering the horse they are riding. In the past, even if Pat "wait all" Day was on a speed horse you could count on him sending. He wouldn't try and force a horse to adjust to his style. Today's riders do that. If I like a speed horse and Irad Ortiz is up I hesitate because I cannot count on him sending.
That post is perfect. Couldn't have said it better
mannyberrios is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2017, 02:58 AM   #34
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698 View Post
That's fine. There are a lot of ways to make money in this game. And I don't think having a discussion means obsessing. I mean can't you factor something into your equation without obsessing? I know I can.

Here's my point in a nutshell. If I like a horse and I see someone like Eric Cancel up, I think twice about making my bet. If I see Castellano up I have no hesitation. If I see a rider switch to someone like Castellano over someone like Leparoux I run to the window. I didn't use to do that but years and years of extensive replay watching has led me there.

I think you absolutely have to factor a riders style into the equation nowadays considering the horse they are riding. In the past, even if Pat "wait all" Day was on a speed horse you could count on him sending. He wouldn't try and force a horse to adjust to his style. Today's riders do that. If I like a speed horse and Irad Ortiz is up I hesitate because I cannot count on him sending.
Great post. 100 pct agree with the sentiment as well as the comments on the specific jocks you mention.
EasyGoer89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2017, 11:09 PM   #35
keithw84

It's a generalizarion, but I think the jockey makes a bigger difference at smaller tracks with lower quality horses.
keithw84 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #36
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Jockeys making a difference example #9,999,999. Mike Luzzi had no business losing the 2nd at Belmont today. Had he just rode his horse instead of looking back 3 times he wins. Instead he's 3rd beaten a nose.

Embarrassing
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2017, 09:05 PM   #37
no breathalyzer
Veteran

That was pitiful ... might as well put cement blocks on your horse... not sure anyone in the jocks room could of lost with that setup.
no breathalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2017, 09:38 PM   #38
Appy

On the Mike Smith topic, I know he has spent considerable time and effort to become more than just a jockey. He has focused on learning how to be a horseman, which has made him a better jockey.
That, to me, makes a big difference. That's the kind of guy I want riding my horses.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:49 AM   #39
Exotic1

Quote:
Originally Posted by no breathalyzer View Post
That was pitiful ... might as well put cement blocks on your horse... not sure anyone in the jocks room could of lost with that setup.

Luzzi should endeavor to destroy all copies of that tape.
Exotic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply