Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Old 03-26-2008, 08:47 AM   #1
nagwa

RayTaulbot's PERSONAL Handicapping Method

hi, anyone know or heard of this before..only other books i have seen are his handicappping lessons..thanks
nagwa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
timtam

This guy was THE man before many of our times. Do a search or even a

google and you will find countless articles either by the author himself

or others. He is famous for his Pace Slide Rule among other things.
timtam is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2008, 09:29 AM   #3
Donnie

I own a TON of old American Turf Monthly's from the 50's and 60's. He was a regular writer for them and penned excellent article after excellent article. A number of other very prominent handicappers wrote for ATM at that time as well!
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Many of his articles are on the ATM website.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:18 AM   #5
lsosa54

This one is up to $165 or so on Ebay with 12 hours to go. I have the utmost respect for Mr. Taulbot, but are these things being sold for their "collectors value" or can folks really sit down with these items and devise a profitable methodology?

Also, how does one judge Boots Baker's handicapping course that went for $58 a few days ago vs. this one. It appears Mr. Baker used to write "alongside" Mr. Taulbot, maybe for ATM?

I see anything with the Taulbot name attached go for what I think are ridiculous amounts on EBAY and wonder if the buyers ever profitably use these things? One could include anything POPS & TIPS related, the Bert Norman stuff, the one Eric Langjahr item I've seen, etc. The complete craziness is what I've seen Mike Pizzola's stuff going for and I am a fan of Mike P.

As an example, what could be of more value to a handicapper: Quinn's Handicapper's Condition Book which you can find for a few $ used (the updated DRF published version) to give you some ideas on contender selection or some of these items?

I don't know but I'd lean towards Quinn's tome.
lsosa54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2008, 10:49 AM   #6
Murph
Public Handicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsosa54
This one is up to $165 or so on Ebay with 12 hours to go. I have the utmost respect for Mr. Taulbot, but are these things being sold for their "collectors value" or can folks really sit down with these items and devise a profitable methodology?

Also, how does one judge Boots Baker's handicapping course that went for $58 a few days ago vs. this one. It appears Mr. Baker used to write "alongside" Mr. Taulbot, maybe for ATM?

I see anything with the Taulbot name attached go for what I think are ridiculous amounts on EBAY and wonder if the buyers ever profitably use these things? One could include anything POPS & TIPS related, the Bert Norman stuff, the one Eric Langjahr item I've seen, etc. The complete craziness is what I've seen Mike Pizzola's stuff going for and I am a fan of Mike P.

As an example, what could be of more value to a handicapper: Quinn's Handicapper's Condition Book which you can find for a few $ used (the updated DRF published version) to give you some ideas on contender selection or some of these items?

I don't know but I'd lean towards Quinn's tome.
The vintage handicapping items will have different values to different people. I think having an item like that lends an "aura of expertise" to an otherwise mediocre handicapping talent. Your last line says it all.

Murph
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2008, 11:11 AM   #7
Donnie

My take is that the Quinn stuff was WAY over published (as is the case with many "modern day" authors). EVERYBODY has read them. Whether everyone walks away with the same take is the question.
I have a stack of Bert Norman newsletters and there is stuff in those you WILL NOT see anywhere else. Bert would take an angle that a subscriber would send in and Bert would test it. In some cases he would twist it and the followup letters in many cases were letters of praise for "how wonderful this angle works!" Other people would write in with a "discovery" they made while testing an angle. The newsletters definitely get the juices flowing!
I have "borrowed" a few things from a few of his newsletters... someday I will have to sit down and read thru all of them.....
Old 03-26-2008, 11:26 AM   #8
lsosa54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie@HTR
My take is that the Quinn stuff was WAY over published (as is the case with many "modern day" authors). EVERYBODY has read them. Whether everyone walks away with the same take is the question.
I have a stack of Bert Norman newsletters and there is stuff in those you WILL NOT see anywhere else. Bert would take an angle that a subscriber would send in and Bert would test it. In some cases he would twist it and the followup letters in many cases were letters of praise for "how wonderful this angle works!" Other people would write in with a "discovery" they made while testing an angle. The newsletters definitely get the juices flowing!
I have "borrowed" a few things from a few of his newsletters... someday I will have to sit down and read thru all of them.....

Don't disagree with what you said about the "modern day" authors being over published or about Bert's newsletters in terms of idea generation. I think one of the first things I had was Bert's Quick Score Handicapping.

My thought is that not everyone walks away with the same take. Proper contender selection is critical for me and where I don't take Quinn literally on every word, he makes sense in terms of what type of horses fit certain races, no matter what their speed or pace ratings might say. Nothing works all the time but his thoughts have been very helpful.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:30 AM   #9
Lefty

isosa54, Boots Baker wrote in the same era as Taulbot but he wrote for Turf Guide, the competition...
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2008, 02:39 PM   #10
lsosa54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty
isosa54, Boots Baker wrote in the same era as Taulbot but he wrote for Turf Guide, the competition...
Appreciate it Lefty. I just wasn't familiar with him.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:41 PM   #11
Big Bill

Donnie,

Do you recall an article from any ATM in your collection of the 60's that described how one could make a daily track variant from data available on a single result chart for the applicable day? I had the article at one time but must have tossed in during a house cleaning. My memory is not what it used to be so it could have been from and issue in the 70's. In fact, it could have been an article published in Gambling Times. Told you my memory is lacking.

Big Bill
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2008, 06:14 PM   #12
Donnie

Hey Big--
I'll page thru some of them this weekend for you! They always put Ray's story right on the front cover so if I have it, it shouldn't be too diffucult to find!
BOL!
Old 03-26-2008, 06:39 PM   #13
Richard

Taulbot always had a reccurring theme to the effect that you should'nt expect to find more than 1-2 good plays per day per track.Personally,I find that pretty good advice.Seems like playing too many races,no matter what method/program you use,does'nt do the bankroll a whole lot of good.Sure,handicap the entire card,but hold out for only the best plays.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2008, 06:46 PM   #14
GaryG
Unreconstructed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill
Donnie,

Do you recall an article from any ATM in your collection of the 60's that described how one could make a daily track variant from data available on a single result chart for the applicable day? I had the article at one time but must have tossed in during a house cleaning. My memory is not what it used to be so it could have been from and issue in the 70's. In fact, it could have been an article published in Gambling Times. Told you my memory is lacking.

Big Bill
Bill, I don't believe Taulbot ever wrote on a daily variant. They published something called Amer Var which they sold, I think with the pace calculator. ATM did publish some articles on speed handicapping by Pat Cabell in the early 60s. As I remember it was a modern approach and included making a variant. This guy was way ahead of his time and is virtually unknown today.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:02 PM   #15
Lefty

Amervar was on the flip side of the pace calculator and involved class of race as well as speed.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Reply