Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 10-29-2018, 07:40 PM   #1
JustRalph
Just another Facist

No! Not again!

https://freebeacon.com/issues/armed-...ama-mcdonalds/

Never happens
Old 10-30-2018, 01:35 PM   #2
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Ahh...there it is.

Yes, the CC Customer truly averted a disaster. And shot the perp dead!
Old 10-30-2018, 02:55 PM   #3
TJDave

Quote:
I was wondering who here has a CC and would have no problem exercising it in this or similar situation.

I know you are former LE and have trained for this. My question is for those who who haven’t. I have a CC and some, long ago, military training but I still question my capabilities when it comes to situations like this. In a crowded space with innocent lives at stake? Anyone who treats this as a given is, IMO, kidding themselves and placing others at great risk.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:59 PM   #4
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
I was wondering who here has a CC and would have no problem exercising it in this or similar situation.

I know you are former LE and have trained for this. My question is for those who who haven’t. I have a CC and some, long ago, military training but I still question my capabilities when it comes to situations like this. In a crowded space with innocent lives at stake? Anyone who treats this as a given is, IMO, kidding themselves and placing others at great risk.
Yep....”a man has to know his limitations”.

IF U LIVE IN OHIO, AND ARE A VETERAN, OHIO NOW ALLOWS U TO GET A PERMIT FOR FREE, WITH NO COURSE
Old 10-31-2018, 09:12 AM   #5
boxcar

Quote:

What do you think the risks would have been for the other customers and McDonald workers if the shooter had done nothing to protect them?
Old 10-31-2018, 12:33 PM   #6
chadk66

I would have no problem doing it. I have been shooting firearms for 44 years and do it a lot.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2018, 12:44 PM   #7
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:

Dave, you make a great point. You have to shoot, and do it on a regular basis. I try to shoot every six months. I also use multiple guns on the range. I have two guns I carry and both need to be practiced with. You also have to understand lots of extra stuff. for example:

Where are you most likely to get into a gun fight?
Me, probably my restaurant. So I have measured my distances from where I plant myself during late nights and near closing. I know where my best cover is, the wall thickness etc.

When I go to shoot, I practice at those distances and more.

If you are going to be outside, you have a ton of problems and most have to do with your "backstop" and where that bullet is going to go when you miss. and you will miss if you fire any amount of rounds. it's been proven over and over in all kinds of shootings that the guy who fires 10 rounds in 10 seconds misses with 80%. But once the "shoot" signal goes off in most peoples brains, they turn into that 10 second shooter.

I prefer a tactical approach, but you never know what or where you are going to be. Better tactics work when you have cover, concealment and an optimum place to shoot. That rarely happens, but practice is everything.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:47 PM   #8
elysiantraveller

It just depends on the scenario.

If shooting has started... I'm shooting 100% of the time.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2018, 12:53 PM   #9
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Dave, you make a great point. You have to shoot, and do it on a regular basis. I try to shoot every six months. I also use multiple guns on the range. I have two guns I carry and both need to be practiced with. You also have to understand lots of extra stuff. for example:

Where are you most likely to get into a gun fight?
Me, probably my restaurant. So I have measured my distances from where I plant myself during late nights and near closing. I know where my best cover is, the wall thickness etc.

When I go to shoot, I practice at those distances and more.

If you are going to be outside, you have a ton of problems and most have to do with your "backstop" and where that bullet is going to go when you miss. and you will miss if you fire any amount of rounds. it's been proven over and over in all kinds of shootings that the guy who fires 10 rounds in 10 seconds misses with 80%. But once the "shoot" signal goes off in most peoples brains, they turn into that 10 second shooter.

I prefer a tactical approach, but you never know what or where you are going to be. Better tactics work when you have cover, concealment and an optimum place to shoot. That rarely happens, but practice is everything.
Good post.

I can't even begin to describe how many times, out in the hunting world, I've taken shots that there was no "practicing for."

Virtually never goes the way you expect it to.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:43 PM   #10
classhandicapper

I never fired a gun in my life (BBs don't count ). It's hard for someone like me to understand why it's so tough, but I'm sure if I experienced it I'd find out in a hurry. I sort of wish I had some experience, but I have no interest in hunting and living in Queens NY makes having a gun a bit difficult.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:59 PM   #11
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
I've taken shots that there was no "practicing for."

Virtually never goes the way you expect it to.
Me 'n golf.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2018, 03:03 PM   #12
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I never fired a gun in my life (BBs don't count ). It's hard for someone like me to understand why it's so tough, but I'm sure if I experienced it I'd find out in a hurry. I sort of wish I had some experience, but I have no interest in hunting and living in Queens NY makes having a gun a bit difficult.
Similar to any activity that requires muscle memory, form, and technique... bowling, golf, billiards.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:15 PM   #13
Tape Reader

You guys don’t have lasers on your pistols?
Tape Reader is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2018, 05:13 PM   #14
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tape Reader View Post
You guys don’t have lasers on your pistols?
on some of em. The one on the bed no. I have glow sights only I can see. Laser gives the intruder a target and tells them I have him in sights. I don’t want him to know so that I’m one up in him
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2018, 05:30 PM   #15
newtothegame

Quote:
Yep....”a man has to know his limitations”.

IF U LIVE IN OHIO, AND ARE A VETERAN, OHIO NOW ALLOWS U TO GET A PERMIT FOR FREE, WITH NO COURSE
Same here in Louisiana ...(Free for five or lifetime).
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply