Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 02-06-2006, 11:59 PM   #16
pandy

BRAD THOMAS

Brad did picks for me and some other stuff when I had my Pandy's Picks tipsheet in New York. We worked together for about 5 years at Sports Eye. He's a great longshot handicapper, great trip handicapper, and if you go to Monmouth, make sure you listen to him. I was there one day with my wife and I heard him tout a longshot over the loudspeaker. I bet it, it won and paid $45.00. His picks are also on the Monmouth website.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2006, 03:16 PM   #17
frankfig

hanress book ?

brad is very good. i miss the old days of aqueduct in the afternoon and roosevelt raceway at night. pandy how is your book coming along. i am one of the rare people that does figs by hand and doesnt use computers to cap often. I believe i heard someone say you are going to have a way to make harness figures by hand in your book. also how do you make your odds line ? do you give 80 % to contenders like some people or do you have another way ? thanks and good luck pandyman
frankfig is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2006, 03:56 PM   #18
pandy

HARNESS BOOK

Hi and thanks,

I miss Roosevelt too. Yes, my book, Modern Harness Handicapping is coming along and does have a way to make speed and pace figures by hand without a computer. On my Meadowlands picks at www.ustrotting.com I only create odds for my 4 prime contenders, so, yes, I estimate using 80%.

Pandy
Old 02-07-2006, 09:34 PM   #19
speedking

Pandy

Pandy,

Isn't it incredible how many truly professional handicappers came out of the Great Neck office in the late 70's. Most of whom got their start in harness racing and later switched to the TBreds when they went out on their own. Maybe that's why we had such a good feel for trip handicapping and pace when we switched over. Good luck in your current endeavors.

speedking
speedking is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2006, 10:41 PM   #20
pandy

DOUG KAPLAN

I worked with Doug Kaplan at Sports Eye and we were pretty good friends. I went to his wedding. I always wondered what he's doing now and if he's still a laywer. He was a terrific writer, interesting and funny. One time I was writing the Monticello analysis and I went to the bathroom. When I was out, he sat down at the typewriter and inserted something about a harness driver named Artie Bier into my column. Artie Bier had just come back from a suspension and it read something like, "Artie Bier, former bag man for the Columbo gang, returns from suspension," or something like that. It went in the paper! The next day I get a phone call from Artie Bier! I was mortified. I knew it was Doug, just his style of irreverent wit. I made him get on the phone with Artie Bier and confess that it wasn't me. Artie was pretty cool, I must admit. He said something like, "I just got back, please don't write anything like that anymore!" We apologized profusely, but it was pretty funny.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:42 AM   #21
Stevie Belmont

Thomas also works the Meadowlands meet as well. Brad is a fine longshot capper. I do think he has a tendency to push the enevelope at times with some of his selections. Sometimes there are vunerable favorites, and Brad will often try to beat that horse. I do as well. However he can go overboard on horses that figure to win. You will often here him say, I will take a shot against at low odds. Not always the wisest stragedy. A true trip capper, who does his homework. Worthy info when you have not seen a particular race, or the form fails to paint the vivid picture. Always a tuned to the hot barns, and when you should take notice. I always find the time to listen to what he has to say, weather I agree with it or not. You can always get close and personal down by the paddock at Monmouth Park for his analysis. One of the better handicapping personalities around the game in the tri-state area. Brad is strong minded as well. And as a capper, you really have to love that.

Last edited by Stevie Belmont; 02-09-2006 at 12:45 AM.
Stevie Belmont is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2006, 06:11 AM   #22
pandy

SPEEDKING AND TRIPS

Speedking, thanks for the reply. I agree that harness handicapping was a good foundation for thoroughbred handicapping. Harness handicappers are natural trip handicappers, and also look at final quarter, which many thoroughbred handicappers neglect.

Pandy
Old 02-09-2006, 05:24 PM   #23
DeoVolente

Brad

I would rate Brad Thomas as one of the best handicappers in the media. If I had to criticize one area of his handicapping, It's the way he is too quick to draw conclusions about a track bias.
DeoVolente is offline   Reply With Quote Reply