Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-20-2017, 08:51 AM   #16
davew

I wish him well and wonder why he is at Mayo rather than VA.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2017, 09:50 AM   #17
Jess Hawsen Arown

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
Two observations about this thread so far:

1) He's not dead yet.

2) The concern for McCain's condition is pretty underwhelming, actually it's non-exsistent.I suppose someone will come up with excuses for this tone..

Hoping Senator McCain can fight through this.
Correct. A brain tumor is not necessarily a death sentence. I've known people who have died quickly, but others who lived many more years.
Jess Hawsen Arown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2017, 10:24 AM   #18
boxcar

Quote:
Two observations about this thread so far:

1) He's not dead yet.

2) The concern for McCain's condition is pretty underwhelming, actually it's non-exsistent.I suppose someone will come up with excuses for this tone..

Hoping Senator McCain can fight through this.
You mean the way the concern for Steve Scalise by the left was not only underwhelming, but many leftists were actually lamenting the fact that he hadn't died, yet, from his wounds?
Old 07-20-2017, 11:14 AM   #19
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
You mean the way the concern for Steve Scalise by the left was not only underwhelming, but many leftists were actually lamenting the fact that he hadn't died, yet, from his wounds?
I didn't say or imply anything that people on this board were glad McCain had a brain tumor. The first several reactions were either about who was going to replace McCain while he was still very much alive or the armchair diagnosis of his recent behavior.If somebody had said "Sucks for him" or wished McCain a speedy recovery, I wouldn't have said a word.

Was there anyone on this board who gloated about Scalise's shooting or wished death on him?If so, I would hope the moderators or other board posters called them out about it.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2017, 11:24 AM   #20
Nutz and Boltz
Mad as hell !

Quote:
I didn't say or imply anything that people on this board were glad McCain had a brain tumor. The first several reactions were either about who was going to replace McCain while he was still very much alive or the armchair diagnosis of his recent behavior.If somebody had said "Sucks for him" or wished McCain a speedy recovery, I wouldn't have said a word.

Was there anyone on this board who gloated about Scalise's shooting or wished death on him?If so, I would hope the moderators or other board posters called them out about it.
That's just the way "Deplorable" Boxcar sees things..
Nutz and Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2017, 12:18 PM   #21
boxcar

Quote:

Learn to read! I made two (2) observations about the left's reaction to the Scalise shooting and you focus only on one.

As far as I know, no one on this forum lamented Scalise'd survival.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:14 PM   #22
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Learn to read! I made two (2) observations about the left's reaction to the Scalise shooting and you focus only on one.

As far as I know, no one on this forum lamented Scalise'd survival.
Normally, I don't get into back-and-forths about a topic but I made it clear in the first sentence of my original post that this referred to the people who wrote on this thread that there was no show of concern regarding McCain's tumor. It doesn't mean they wish bad things to happen to him, although I apologize if anyone interpreted it that way. I was just struck that after several posts,unlike Home on the Range, there weren't any encouraging words.

However, I never mentioned or referenced any people outside the PA forum.You're the one who brought up left wingers and Scalise's shooting. I had a very narrow focus, for some reason you developed a bad case of whataboutism (i.e.what about the Clintons, what about Obama, what about CNN,etc), which is absolutely irrelevant to the point I was making.

That's all I'm saying on the subject.So there.

And hoo sez I can'ts reeds and rightz?

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2017, 05:13 PM   #23
Fager Fan
Veteran

I wish him well, but I don't like him. I've never liked him, and I also don't like his daughter, so the apple didn't fall far from the tree from the standpoint of not finding either very personable or endearing. But with him, what I dislike most is the way he uses his POW experience to further his career and agenda.

We owe gratitude to all who have served, so I give him that. But being a POW doesn't make me put him on a pedestal above any others who served. It only means he had the misfortune of being caught, and he did what everyone tries to do which is live to be able to tell the tale. It doesn't make him a better soldier, or one we have to admire over others who weren't caught, nor does it make him any kind of expert in interrogation techniques. Finally, I don't think he's been a particularly good or upstanding politician or Republican.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2017, 06:28 PM   #24
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
I wish him well and wonder why he is at Mayo rather than VA.
Is this a joke, Dave? McCain is currently a US Senator, in case you forgot.....The last place they'd send him would be the VA, unless they want him to die while waiting to get treated...
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2017, 09:56 PM   #25
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Should be mandatory that ALL elected officials go to the VA only.
Right up the WH and POTUS's family. What is good enough for our soldiers is good enough for our nausiating leaders and their nausiating families.

I am sorry he is sick, but he needs to get the HELL out of DC and shut up. I'ill pray he beats this and pray harder he does it at home as a private citizen.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:37 PM   #26
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Right up the WH and POTUS's family. What is good enough for our soldiers is good enough for our nausiating leaders and their nausiating families.

I am sorry he is sick, but he needs to get the HELL out of DC and shut up. I'ill pray he beats this and pray harder he does it at home as a private citizen.
same as affordable health care plans for all - no carve outs for 'special groups'
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2017, 10:41 PM   #27
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Imagine how things would be if those who make the laws had to live under them.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:44 PM   #28
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

The problem with this idea is that anyone - from the POTUS down to the veteran - doesn't HAVE to go to a VA hospital or be locked into whatever "affordable healthcare" options are out there. They can go wherever they choose, and often, having the money to do so helps them do that very thing.

So nothing can or will change about those who can afford better will have better, regardless of whether we're talking homes or cars or healthcare.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2017, 12:52 AM   #29
kingfin66
Bombardier

I don't agree with much of his politics, but this first person account of this time as a POW is worth a read. You hear the word hero, and then there is McCain. The guy was, still is a stud. He takes no shit from anybody, including Vietnamese torturers. He will not go down to brain cancer without a fight.

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...person-account
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2017, 07:13 AM   #30
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
The guy was, still is a stud. He takes no shit from anybody, including Vietnamese torturers. He will not go down to brain cancer without a fight.
I know from first hand experience that you can do only what aggressive cancers want you to do and not the other way around. They are extremely tough to beat. I was told by an oncologist that for every cubic centimeter of tumor in your body, you can multiply that by 100M cancer cells and that is how many cancer cells are in tumors. She then added that the same amount as was in tumors was also floating freely in your body ready to take root somewhere else. So McCain may have a few hundred million aggressive-type cancer cells running through his body. Only chemo and like treatments can rid the body of those floaters. Cancer is insidious for this reason. It is hard to fight something that large because even if chemo kills 99%, that 1% will find you eventually.

Exceptions occur of course which is why we fight, but aggressive versions of cancer are very difficult because they resist chemo to a larger degree and want to take root faster.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply