Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-18-2017, 12:54 PM   #1
MargieRose

The Choice On Wild Horses

MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2017, 02:35 AM   #2
Man o' War

55 views on this thread and not one reply or comment from the ‘horseplayers’ who live in this section of the site regularly? Ashamed to even speak of this because it might put your boy in a bad light cause he picks ill- informed cabinet members to lead his federal departments? No such thing as science/medical research or comprehensive studies anymore? In President Trump’s words..…..sad….

https://americanwildhorsecampaign.or...ly-misinformed
Man o' War is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2017, 08:50 AM   #3
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man o' War View Post
55 views on this thread and not one reply or comment from the ‘horseplayers’ who live in this section of the site regularly?
I am one of those who viewed the thread. I didn't view the video. I never open videos or other links unless the poster gives me a clue about the contents in a sentence or two to make me interested.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:13 AM   #4
davew

I viewed and with my internet explorer 11, all I see is a black box
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2017, 10:37 AM   #5
Dave Schwartz

This is part of a constant battle between gentleman ranchers and the horses.

They lease BLM land for grazing at ridiculously low fees, which makes feeding their herds as close to free lunch as you can get.

The ranchers have big, high-paid lobbyists and the horses have a few people dedicated to wildlife preservation with shallow pockets.

The horses have zero chance in this battle.

Even deer and ducks have a better shot because they have hunters behind them.

Did you know that it is illegal to feed a wild horse? Is that crazy, or what?
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2017, 10:40 AM   #6
Inner Dirt

Quote:
55 views on this thread and not one reply or comment from the ‘horseplayers’ who live in this section of the site regularly? Ashamed to even speak of this because it might put your boy in a bad light cause he picks ill- informed cabinet members to lead his federal departments? No such thing as science/medical research or comprehensive studies anymore? In President Trump’s words..…..sad….

I have limited data with my crappy satellite internet service, data used from 3am-6am doesn't count but I am only up during those hours once a week. That is why you have no comment from me, I did not watch.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2017, 11:10 AM   #7
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
Did you know that it is illegal to feed a wild horse? Is that crazy, or what?
It's illegal to feed most wild animals, and even when not technically illegal, it's always discouraged by state and federal conservation authorities.

There's plenty of info out there detailing why it often does more harm than good.
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2017, 12:26 PM   #8
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
I am one of those who viewed the thread. I didn't view the video. I never open videos or other links unless the poster gives me a clue about the contents in a sentence or two to make me interested.
Ditto

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2017, 04:41 PM   #9
MargieRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
I didn't think that anyone with the slightest bit of interest in horses of any kind would need an introduction to what has been the sad plight of our American wild horses for years. I felt that the title of the video would be enough to arouse the interest of any caring person, again. I've posted information about the American Wild Horse Campaign (AWHC) on this site before.

In addition, I've seen numerous vague links to something here without complaints, so why now, Clocker?

Ditto, therussmeister.

This is am important political issue, right now. Hopefully, the information that I've now provided below is enough to arouse your interest and maybe even encourage you to be willing to help:

The House Appropriations Committee recently passed two measures that endanger America's horses, domestic and wild. The first would allow America’s horses to be slaughtered in the United States. The second would result in the mass killing of tens of thousands of healthy wild horses and burros.

These lethal measures can and must be stopped in the Senate, and we have a good chance of doing so!

The first opportunity comes tomorrow (July 20), when the Senate Appropriations Committee considers the Fiscal Year 2018 Agriculture spending bill. The House Committee passed this bill without a longstanding prohibition on federal funding for USDA inspections of horse slaughter plants. (Without such inspections, slaughter factories cannot operate in the U.S.)

Senators Tom Udall and Lindsay Graham intend to fix that in the Senate by introducing an amendment to defund horse slaughter inspections and keep horse slaughter plants shuttered in the U.S.

Your Senator is on the Appropriations Committee and will cast a critical vote on this amendment. Please check the list below to find your senators and make the call. You can say,"I am your constituent residing in [town and state]. I’m calling to urge Senator [your Senator’s last name] to support the Udall-Graham Amendment in the Agriculture Appropriations bill to protect American horses from slaughter. As a horse lover, I do not want my tax dollars subsidizing this cruel and wasteful treatment of America’s horses. Thank you.”

Senate Appropriations Members:
  • Alabama: Richard Shelby (202) 224-5744
  • Alaska: Lisa Murkowski (202)-224-6665
  • Arkansas: John Boozman (202) 224-4843
  • California: Dianne Feinstein (202) 224-3841
  • Connecticut: Chris Murphy (202) 224-4041
  • Delaware: Chris Coons (202) 224-5042
  • Florida: Marco Rubio (202) 224-3041
  • Hawaii: Brian Schatz (202) 224-3934
  • Illinois: Richard Durbin (202) 224-2152
  • Kansas: Jerry Moran (202) 224-6521
  • Kentucky: Mitch McConnell (202) 224-2541
  • Louisiana: John Kennedy (202) 228-0447
  • Maine: Susan Collins (202) 224-2523
  • Maryland: Chris Van Hollen (202) 224-4654
  • Mississippi: Thad Cochran (202) 224-5054
  • Missouri: Roy Blunt (202) 224-5721
  • Montana: Steve Daines & Jon Tester (202) 224-2651 & (202) 224-2644
  • New Hampshire: Jeanne Shaheen (202) 224-2841
  • New Mexico: Tom Udall (202) 224-6621
  • North Dakota: John Hoeven (202) 224-2551
  • Oklahoma: James Lankford (202) 224-5754
  • Oregon: Jeff Merkley 202) 224-3753
  • Rhode Island: Jack Reed (202) 224-4642
  • South Carolina: Lindsey Graham (202) 224-5972
  • Tennessee: Lamar Alexander (202) 224-4944
  • Vermont: Patrick Leahy (202) 224-4242
  • Washington: Patty Murray (202) 224-2621
  • West Virginia: Joe Manchin & Shelley Moore Capito (202) 224-3954 & (202) 224-6472
  • Wisconsin: Tammy Baldwin 202-224-5653
After you call, click here to send a quick email.

Thank you for standing strong for America's horses both domestic and wild!

- The AWHC Team

https://americanwildhorsecampaign.org/
Old 07-19-2017, 05:25 PM   #10
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargieRose View Post
I've seen numerous vague links to something here without complaints, so why now, Clocker?

Ditto, therussmeister.
I was not complaining, I was trying to be helpful to the second poster in the thread who questioned the lack of replies. I promise I won't do it again.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:21 PM   #11
Fager Fan
Veteran

I'm against horse slaughter, yet torn on the subject. I would never send my horse to slaughter, and I have the lowest opinion possible of those who sell to or slaughter horses.

But looking at things from a big picture perspective, who got us in the mess we're now in with the wild horses? There has to be population control somehow, and it wasn't done. Result: too many horses, too little land, too high of a cost just to keep them alive (not necessarily with a great life).

Also, how has the number gone since we stopped slaughter in the US? Has it gone down significantly? Or do we just ship them a much farther distance in worse conditions to plants where they dont have the humane controls we could ensure are implemented? Do we have more who are now being starved to death?

We have to do more than put on bandaids and do things that make us feel better but which are worse for the horses. I'm hopeful that maybe someone somewhere will be smart enough to do things like chemically spaying the mares and/or gelding the males. Do different deals with the ranchers. Make it illegal to ship horses out of the country to slaughter and put money towards equine welfare.

Last edited by Fager Fan; 07-19-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2017, 12:57 AM   #12
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
But looking at things from a big picture perspective, who got us in the mess we're now in with the wild horses? There has to be population control somehow, and it wasn't done. Result: too many horses, too little land, too high of a cost just to keep them alive (not necessarily with a great life).
Why does there have to be population control?

This entire problem would not be a problem if it were not for the ranchers.

The issue is that every horse out there is taking resources from the precious cattle that are grazing and watering just fine.

So, it comes down to a horse that produces nothing or a cow that gets sold for money. We protect everything from owls to caterpillars. Why not the horses?
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2017, 01:57 PM   #13
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:

You don't post often, but when you do...it's underwhelming to say the least...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2017, 07:32 PM   #14
Man o' War

Wink

Way to keep me from posting more PA, but you don’t have to worry cause my number of posts (what is it like 2/year) will not increase as I do not have much time to go full court press like many do here. And anyway, ‘Sir’ Thaskalos pretty much expresses my point of view 95% of the time on the subjects that interest me and (as you say), he does it so much more eloquently than I. So I’m pretty much satisfied as far as my viewpoints being made here. Maybe for all the time he saves me I should be sending him a monthly check for the work he puts in…
As for this thread, he dropped the ball, so I thought I better step in and wake up the guys in this section who seem to have tunnel vision and go directly to Trumpland, when they arrive, ignoring Margie’s thread and the plight of these wild horses along the way.
Sorry for the hit but com’n , it’s a lot easier to tear down stuff than to build something which he seems unable to do…..
Man o' War is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2017, 12:44 AM   #15
MargieRose

The American Wild Horse Campaign

We have shocking news. The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) is planning to
round up and remove almost 10,000 wild horses from their homes on the range in Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Oregon and Colorado in the coming months. Every one of these majestic and innocent horses will be in danger of being killed by this agency that is seeking permission from Congress to destroy healthy wild horses and burros and sell them for slaughter.

But the members of Congress have not yet said yes, and we're doing our very best to make sure they don't!

Meanwhile, it's time to take a very strong stand about the unprecedented roundups and the appalling number of horses that the BLM wants to remove from the range. A strong show of public opposition will make a powerful statement to Congress that Americans want our iconic wild horses and burros protected on our public lands, not rounded up and destroyed.

We've created two action alerts below to give you an easy way to comment on two of the biggest upcoming roundups. Please take just a moment to submit your letters to the BLM today!

-The AWHC Team

Take Action for 6,700 Wild Horses in Nevada

The BLM wants to roundup and remove an astounding 6,737 wild horses – or approximately 80 percent of the estimated wild horse population in two BLM Nevada wild horse complexes: Antelope (3.9 million acres) and Triple B (1.4 million acres). Every one of these horses is in danger of being killed if Congress grants the BLM's request to destroy healthy horses and sell them for slaughter.

And, as if that's not bad enough, there’s even more to this devastating plan! The BLM plans to reduce the population of breeding animals to below the low "Appropriate" Management Level -- allowing only 227 reproductively-intact horses in Antelope and 272 reproductively intact horses in Triple B. In conjunction with the plan to geld 50% of the stallions and skew the sex ratio of these wild horse populations to 60% male/40% female, this is a recipe for destruction of these historic and magnificent herds. Please take action today!

Take Action