Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-04-2017, 12:51 AM   #46
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post
anyone with expertise and half a bag on to get over the anxiety of speaking in front of others can get up in front of group and drone on about what they think is important.
The key is to be able to hang on to an audience. That means keep them interested by having compelling things to say.
That IS rocket science.

Now that is not to say that some people simply have a gift. That occurs as well.
However, a small, very small percentage of the population has that talent..
And as one once said this escapes me "you cannot teach talent"
My memory isn't what it used to be, so, I could very-well be wrong here...but, has there ever been even ONE tvg host who has been accused of "captivating an audience"? These guys haven't exactly set the bar very high in the "professionalism" department.

Last edited by thaskalos; 07-04-2017 at 12:56 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2017, 06:01 AM   #47
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
My memory isn't what it used to be, so, I could very-well be wrong here...but, has there ever been even ONE tvg host who has been accused of "captivating an audience"? These guys haven't exactly set the bar very high in the "professionalism" department.
Gary Seibel was head and shoulders above the rest in the pure broadcasting arena. He was more a harness guy but a real pro.

Robin Burns was enjoyable too, but was not originally hired as on air talent if I remember right. He had a back office job and just filled in on air.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:59 AM   #48
spiketoo

IMHO, Perloff and Hoover are knowledgeable and provide a value-add to the channel. Hoover had been a regular on local Socal radio for years (albeit with Mike Shillman). It appears he may have become a bit chattier to accommodate the requirement to banter with the other talking heads klowns.

As always, YMMV.
spiketoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2017, 10:08 AM   #49
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiketoo View Post
Well I guess that's because the internet is full of opinions.

I know what I can do and I also know my limitations. If others here feel they could not do it then they know their limitations also.

If I was being paid to offer my 'thoughts' on horseracing (as opposed to being a tout) and to offer my opinions with rationale as to why, then I'd have no problem doing it. I would have a problem however with towing the TVG corporate line to just 'send it in' on every race.

As to thaskalos stating that I don't do much 'speaking' here, that's true. Not a big poster in forums. Which has no bearing whatsoever on what I believe I can do. Nor trying to convince anyone of such.
In my experience the internet is full of bad opinions.

Youre certainly not the first person to think they could do a handicappers job as good or better than they are doing. And you're definitely not the first to say you wouldn't tow the corporate line if you did it.

Like I said, the internet is full of bad opinions.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2017, 11:52 AM   #50
spiketoo

And in my experience the internet is full of people who can't read but instead prefer to intersperse their opinions into others.

I didn't say I could do it as good or better - I stated that I could do it. I'd guess I'd be placed on mute as much as the others are.

I also did not state I could do it and not tow the corporate objective. I stated I'd have philosophical differences with touting the audience to bet on every race just to increase the stations bottom-line and probably would not do it based on such.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:59 AM   #51
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Gary Seibel was head and shoulders above the rest in the pure broadcasting arena. He was more a harness guy but a real pro.

Robin Burns was enjoyable too, but was not originally hired as on air talent if I remember right. He had a back office job and just filled in on air.
I'm so old I remember spending nights at FreeState Raceway (RIP) listening to Robin call races.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2017, 01:05 PM   #52
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiketoo View Post
And in my experience the internet is full of people who can't read but instead prefer to intersperse their opinions into others.

I didn't say I could do it as good or better - I stated that I could do it. I'd guess I'd be placed on mute as much as the others are.

I also did not state I could do it and not tow the corporate objective. I stated I'd have philosophical differences with touting the audience to bet on every race just to increase the stations bottom-line and probably would not do it based on such.
Yawn. You said any one of us could do what he did.

You're wrong.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2017, 01:24 PM   #53
spiketoo

I said that under the guise that anyone in this forum possesses the knowledge to perform his job and it requires no 'talent'. Most here seem to be able to discuss their handicapping without much prodding. The desire to do such on TV is solely up to them.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:43 PM   #54
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I'm so old I remember spending nights at FreeState Raceway (RIP) listening to Robin call races.

Loved Robin !

Here comes ... Come oooooon Fred

At Laurel he called a horse I had whose name was bobcaroltedalice and said as he was making the lead here comes all four of them.
My favorite was when a claimer of mine named Old Milwaukee was winning big he said
" with a dozen raw and a side of slaw, it doesn't get any better than that, its Old Milwaukee in front.

Last edited by Ruffian1; 07-04-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Ruffian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2017, 03:59 PM   #55
NY BRED
GARY

Paul leaving TVG

Now I'm thinking a position with the Mets considering Paul's prior career?

NY BRED is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2017, 06:09 PM   #56
Andy Asaro

NYRA

Take it to the bank.
Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2017, 09:27 PM   #57
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I spoke to him once when I lived in SoCal and found out he called races at Scioto Downs in Columbus Ohio. I probably heard him as a teen.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:21 PM   #58
whisperlunch

I first thought it would be MLB position. But he left like Gino Buccola left. Abruptly. They didn't renew Gino's contract but Paul has got into it with someone either a sex scandal or something similar.
whisperlunch is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2017, 10:46 PM   #59
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperlunch View Post
I first thought it would be MLB position. But he left like Gino Buccola left. Abruptly. They didn't renew Gino's contract but Paul has got into it with someone either a sex scandal or something similar.
Come on man, you can't post stuff like this as pure speculation. I'd bet anything that isn't the case here, and I don't really know Paul at all.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2017, 11:02 PM   #60
whisperlunch

I didnt say it was fact. Heck I don't know maybe it's a falling out with management or with another on air talent. Paul has a history of playing grab ass with young girls. Look at the headlines when he was with the Mets. You don't know that I'm wrong. This is a horse racing forum and it's up for discussion and debate. It's odd that he abruptly quits.
whisperlunch is offline   Reply With Quote Reply