Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-03-2017, 06:05 PM   #31
TheGarMan

2015 Breeders Cup....

I remember in the week leading up to the 2015 Breeders Cup, Paul was really touting Wavell Avenue over La Verdad and Cavorting. I think the others on TVG thought he was crazy...

His quote was something like, I don't "like" Wavell Ave here, I "love" Wavell Ave here, bet the farm...(Or something like that)

I was just impressed the set of "nads" it must take everyday to go out there in front of the world and passionately speak your "gut" feelings to everyone..

Oh, the results that day?

1. Wavell Avenue: $22.00, $10.20, $6.60
2. La Verdad: $8.00, $5.40
3. Taris: $4.80

I for one will miss Paul.
TheGarMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2017, 06:45 PM   #32
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiketoo View Post
Then I guess I may be in the minority. I have no issues speaking in public or private. If I can entertain a room full of Mormons, then surely I can speak about the horses I like in front of a robotic camera.

Contrary to what others may think, its not rocket science. It's horseracing.
This is an opinion I see frequently (on the internet) and I always laugh. It's not rocket science but it's also not easy.

The people saying it are usually jealous because it's a pretty cool job to be able to handicap and talk races for a living. Everyone thinks they can do it better than the people doing it but the reality is that they can't.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2017, 07:52 PM   #33
NY BRED
GARY

Paul's departure from TVG

I caugh the last few moments of Paul's discussions , and, he
mentioned going to visit NY seversal times.

A great exacta could be teaming up Paul with the Mig. on the
NYRA show...

sometimes dreams come true...

NY BRED is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2017, 08:23 PM   #34
GMB@BP

Why go from TVG to NYRA, I mean unless its for money reasons at best that seems like a lateral move for more less their main broadcast face.

I would imagine he is doing something baseball related, but even then he has been gone like a decade out of the sport.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2017, 09:42 PM   #35
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Old 07-03-2017, 09:51 PM   #36
oughtoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Stinks View Post
I remember Paul and Todd had a rather nasty (especially for TVG on air folks) exchange working live at Keeneland this spring. A horse won a race at around 7-5 by about 5 lengths. For whatever reason Paul immediately said that horse would never win another race. Todd retorted with something about what didn't Paul like? It was obviously as dominant a win as one can expect by the favorite or something like that, says Todd. Things got worse (nastier) between the two in this exchange and the next thing you know they are off the air for two hours before returning before the end of the card that day.

I thought to myself when it happened that I can fully understand hanging around with Todd for any length of time could drive anybody crazy. But Todd seems to be untouchable at TVG and Paul dissing Todd on the air was not the best move ever made by "the four time all-star". (Please note Todd still may not be able to stop saying that ad nauseam! )

Anyway, anybody else remember that exchange between the two at Keeneland this spring? Do you think I misremembered above?
Pretty much what I remembered. Just turned it on right before that race and after the race was wondering what was going on between the two of them.
oughtoh is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2017, 10:14 PM   #37
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY BRED View Post
I caugh the last few moments of Paul's discussions , and, he
mentioned going to visit NY seversal times.

A great exacta could be teaming up Paul with the Mig. on the
NYRA show...

sometimes dreams come true...

NYRA seems a logical fit for LoDuca but he definitely won't be teaming with Migliore....
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2017, 10:16 PM   #38
thespaah

Quote:
Couldn't care less. Like others have said they'll just get another klown to chatter with Schmeckel like they are on the View.

Honestly, any one of us here can do what he did on camera.
Seriously, dude?...Pfffft
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2017, 10:23 PM   #39
thespaah

Quote:
OK I'll qualify it then. I could. I can handicap races and tell you why I like a horse.

However, there are races I do pass so maybe you are correct.
Unless you have been in the broadcasting business and dabbled in the arena of public handicapping, you have no clue.
So please. Before you start tooting your horn with the " I can do this" stuff, step back and take stock.....Then rethink your post.
Because in the immortal words of Jim Mora...."you may think you know, but you don't know. And you never will.".....'Nuff said. Done
Old 07-03-2017, 10:27 PM   #40
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Being on television and even radio is not easy. I got plenty of training in the Air Force on public speaking, was an instructor for a few years and did many other presentations in front of large groups and still think it is tough.
I've done radio....Which does not take nearly as much prep as TV....Radio, sports broadcasting, is work. One just does not go on the air with a quiver empty of arrows....TV is far more involved.
Anyone can talk up a storm. The good ones do their homework, prepare and then produce a product that is not contrived or indifferent.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:27 PM   #41
spiketoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698 View Post
This is an opinion I see frequently (on the internet) and I always laugh. It's not rocket science but it's also not easy.

The people saying it are usually jealous because it's a pretty cool job to be able to handicap and talk races for a living. Everyone thinks they can do it better than the people doing it but the reality is that they can't.
Well I guess that's because the internet is full of opinions.

I know what I can do and I also know my limitations. If others here feel they could not do it then they know their limitations also.

If I was being paid to offer my 'thoughts' on horseracing (as opposed to being a tout) and to offer my opinions with rationale as to why, then I'd have no problem doing it. I would have a problem however with towing the TVG corporate line to just 'send it in' on every race.

As to thaskalos stating that I don't do much 'speaking' here, that's true. Not a big poster in forums. Which has no bearing whatsoever on what I believe I can do. Nor trying to convince anyone of such.
spiketoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2017, 10:47 PM   #42
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Well I guess that's because the internet is full of opinions.

I know what I can do and I also know my limitations. If others here feel they could not do it then they know their limitations also.

If I was being paid to offer my 'thoughts' on horseracing (as opposed to being a tout) and to offer my opinions with rationale as to why, then I'd have no problem doing it. I would have a problem however with towing the TVG corporate line to just 'send it in' on every race.

As to thaskalos stating that I don't do much 'speaking' here, that's true. Not a big poster in forums. Which has no bearing whatsoever on what I believe I can do. Nor trying to convince anyone of such.
I think this is what everyone is attempting to get across to you.

Unless you're gorgeous looking, a bunch of guys wouldn't want to just watch you just sitting there on TV every day tossing in your two cents every once in awhile. Unless you can juggle or jiggle.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2017, 10:53 PM   #43
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Pharmacy rep?
Old 07-03-2017, 11:16 PM   #44
thespaah

Quote:
Then I guess I may be in the minority. I have no issues speaking in public or private. If I can entertain a room full of Mormons, then surely I can speak about the horses I like in front of a robotic camera.

Contrary to what others may think, its not rocket science. It's horseracing.
anyone with expertise and half a bag on to get over the anxiety of speaking in front of others can get up in front of group and drone on about what they think is important.
The key is to be able to hang on to an audience. That means keep them interested by having compelling things to say.
That IS rocket science.
Now that is not to say that some people simply have a gift. That occurs as well.
However, a small, very small percentage of the population has that talent..
And as one once said this escapes me "you cannot teach talent"
Old 07-04-2017, 12:00 AM   #45
KidCruz

He's tight with the Barstool Sports crew, who are based in NY. Would not be shocked if they are involved somehow.
KidCruz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply