Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-27-2017, 08:24 AM   #1
Andy Asaro

Dave Gutfreund Video says why he's had enough of horse racing. Will stick to Poker.

Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2017, 08:42 AM   #2
DeltaLover

@2:09

What's wrong with the computer programmers?
Old 06-27-2017, 09:29 AM   #3
JimG

I always enjoyed the Starting Gate radio show he did in the late 90's. Anyone remember that?
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2017, 10:12 AM   #4
spiketoo

Need a lil context here. Before he starts in as Capt Obvious to us in this room, he states a lawsuit went wrong which is why he he soured on racing. Sup wit dat?
spiketoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2017, 10:51 AM   #5
jballscalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiketoo View Post
Need a lil context here. Before he starts in as Capt Obvious to us in this room, he states a lawsuit went wrong which is why he he soured on racing. Sup wit dat?
I believe Dave is part of the DerbyWars team
Old 06-27-2017, 11:44 AM   #6
Charli125

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballscalls View Post
I believe Dave is part of the DerbyWars team
That's correct.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:59 AM   #7
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

In the video, Gutfreund is a dead-ringer for Steely Dan's Donald Fagen...
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2017, 02:41 PM   #8
dilanesp

He's playing a type of poker (large field, deep stack tournaments) that is basically pure gambling for all but a tiny number of elite players (and I'm not even sure about them-- it's possible that someone like Phil Hellmuth may just have a ton of rungood, as there are a number of players who are considered highly skilled who have mediocre results in deep-stack large field tournaments).

I hope for his sake that if he actually plans to play poker full time, he focuses on playing types of poker that he can be consistently profitable in over a large sample size. If he just wants to hit a jackpot payout in in the WSOP, might as well just play the lottery. It's less work and the chances are about the same.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2017, 03:44 PM   #9
aaron

Good job by Dave,concisely stating some of the biggest problems in horse racing, that never get addressed by horse racing columnists or commentators.
aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2017, 09:32 PM   #10
kingfin66
Bombardier

I have never heard of him, but I am glad to see him speaking out about a few of the problems in racing. He is absolutely right that the value is gone. Seems like a nice guy and well-known to some of you. As for poker, I don't know that the fact that he was interviewed during a WSOP event means that he only plays big tournaments. Many pros play both cash games and tournaments. Best of luck to him.

Small thing; did his glasses look crooked on his face?
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2017, 09:35 PM   #11
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover View Post
https://youtu.be/Tf_RnRhA5aw?t=2m9s

@2:09

What's wrong with the computer programmers?
Delta, he said late odds changes right after computer programmers. Perhaps he is referring to those computer 'capping whales that send money in right up to (after?) the race is off. It is the concept of arbitrage; good for them, bad for most. It is similar to the Bid/Ask concept in stock trading. The retail customer gets burned while the whales have a decided advantage. This is pure speculation on my part in trying to answer your question.
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2017, 11:56 PM   #12
AltonKelsey
Veteran

The late odds changes have been happening for decades. imo, way too much is made of it as a negative factor in anyone's game.

In order to have value , regularly, in a game with a confiscatory takeout, you need a steady and abundant supply of suckers.

Do we have that?

That said, if you do the hard work, and have loads of patience, there is still opportunity. If you want to bet every race or 20 races a day in simulcasts, you probably can't find that much edge.

Last edited by AltonKelsey; 06-27-2017 at 11:58 PM.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2017, 11:59 PM   #13
barn32
tmrpots

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
He's playing a type of poker (large field, deep stack tournaments) that is basically pure gambling for all but a tiny number of elite players (and I'm not even sure about them-- it's possible that someone like Phil Hellmuth may just have a ton of rungood, as there are a number of players who are considered highly skilled who have mediocre results in deep-stack large field tournaments).

I hope for his sake that if he actually plans to play poker full time, he focuses on playing types of poker that he can be consistently profitable in over a large sample size. If he just wants to hit a jackpot payout in in the WSOP, might as well just play the lottery. It's less work and the chances are about the same.
The guy elected to play in a tournament for Christ sakes. Give him a ****ing break.
barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2017, 02:53 AM   #14
SandyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post

Don't worry about David Gutfreund, a very smart player and gambler, comes from a very wealthy family. I wish I was half the handicapper that he is.
SandyW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2017, 12:20 PM   #15
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyW View Post
Don't worry about David Gutfreund, a very smart player and gambler, comes from a very wealthy family. I wish I was half the handicapper that he is.
I don't know the guy or much about him, but if that's the case, then the only skill you need is not burning through your inheritance before you croak.

Everything else is just amusement.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: