Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-25-2017, 07:55 PM   #31
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
1. Third off a layoff, back figs can win this race.
Showed some improvement in the second race, or jockey change to a better rider, or class drop.

2. 3yo who just made a big move ahead to pair it up or mobe a little more ahead., or 3yo who just equalled or passed his 2yo top fig

3. Cut back in distance, especially if old sprint figs are good enough to win today.

4. Comes out of a very fast paced race.
Definitely some of my faves and have proven the test of time.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2017, 07:58 PM   #32
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Here's my first post on PA:

The Play-----> Horse must have been claimed in last race no lower than $5K followed by an immediate lay-off of no more than 100 days (give or take), coming back to race with a class hike. Odds must be 9/2 or higher. No other conditions required concerning distance, track, trainer or surface needed.........Claim+Lay-off+Hike------->$$
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2017, 08:05 PM   #33
n.c

2 year old msw, today at CD

1st race from the rail, finished 2nd to Pletcher horse

Today it moves to pp2, and wins easy..but was heavy fav. It would have won from post 1..Asmussen 2 year old. Competition was weak.
n.c is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2017, 08:16 PM   #34
n.c

Another possible angle

Horse going to to Turf for the first time, off turf, runs on dirt and has ok numbers. IF dirt speed is ok, then the turf speed is going to be better, ie the trainer thinks this is a turf horse. IF the horse gets a 78 on dirt, it is possibly a 85 on turf, since dirt is not horse's strength.

Belmont- race 6 on Sunday
Trainer Danny Gargan-
Horse gets gelded, throws out a bullet on work outs
1st race back, on turf, but it goes off turf, and it throws a ok number

next race, goes out at 47-1, on turf, finishes 2nd to Chad Brown horse
Then on Sunday , it wins at 5-1
Old 05-26-2017, 06:42 AM   #35
biggestal99

Here is one for the late fall

1. 2 yo
2. 4th start
3. Ascending beyers.
4. $

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2017, 06:58 AM   #36
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
Here is one for the late fall

1. 2 yo
2. 4th start
3. Ascending beyers.
4. $

Allan
....without a win first-3?
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2017, 07:28 AM   #37
reckless
Veteran

I heard this at a seminar at Parx a month or so back... the person who said it said it's a great play and has been for many, many years for him. He brought this up that day when he picked the horse that fit this angle on top, which it won at 7-2.

Here's the angle: horse finished second in his last race, beaten a length or less and must finish way, way ahead of the third horse, like 5-6 lengths and more. That's it. Simple, I know.

The seminar presenter said that these days with smaller fields this type of play doesn't usually pay the kind of mutuels that it once did. He said be prepared to play a short priced horse on average than what most of us would rather bet. But as I said, the horse he picked that day did win and pay 7-2 in a 6-horse field.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2017, 08:28 AM   #38
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg View Post
....without a win first-3?
Never thought about adding that. I kinda assumed that the ascending beyers would take of that matter.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2017, 08:43 AM   #39
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Never thought about adding that. I kinda assumed that the ascending beyers would take of that matter.

Allan
Only reason I ask is...a method I have with ascending speed, pace figs, etc--a layoff or a win resets the sequence. The layoff is obvious, and the win a lot of times the horse "tops out" ---is the reason for the reset.
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2017, 09:01 AM   #40
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg View Post
Only reason I ask is...a method I have with ascending speed, pace figs, etc--a layoff or a win resets the sequence. The layoff is obvious, and the win a lot of times the horse "tops out" ---is the reason for the reset.
Hmmm, improving speed numbers, sounds vaguely familiar.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:18 AM   #41
Secondbest

Here's one. Ran closer to the pace than any of previous races with a faster 2nd call time. Even better if it's a 5 yr old gelding
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2017, 12:21 PM   #42
jay68802

One of my favorite angles is playing a horse with a closer running style that was much closer to the pace in its last race and now is running in a race that is at least 1f shorter in distance.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2017, 05:02 PM   #43
reckless
Veteran

I must not know the definition of an 'angle'.

A lot of the suggestions seem to me to be nothing but basic, albeit, good handicapping.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2017, 07:31 PM   #44
FakeNameChanged

Originally Posted by Whosonfirst View Post
Here's a retired friend's only angle at my OTB:

Horse was ITM 3rd race back, last two races out of the money. Odds 9-1 minimum, preferably last race finished within 8 beaten lengths, preferably both last two races. He wants last race to have been in a month more or less.
He sits likes a sphinx until he gets his odds. Seen him cash prices in the 60-100+ range. Will play wps if odds warrant it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosonfirst View Post
Two potential plays in 3rd race at TDN-1M-5000N3L.
#5-Bold Mark 8-1ML, back in 8 days, won 3rd race back in Nov. High pct. Jock and Trainer, so I doubt we get 9-1, 2/14 lifetime.

#7-Canoe Club- 15-1 ML back in 11 days, 3rd in April, 10% jock and trainer is 0/5, but I don't know all the tdn trainers. Looks to be more of a sprinter, but back class much higher than this race. 2/29 lifetime.

Both out of the money last two races. Hopefully I'll see my buddy at OTB and ask his opinion.
#5-Bold Mark scratched. #7-Canoe Club at 36-1 qualified and dueled for the 1st half and faded.

Play at GP yesterday won at 20.60, see Nitro's thread. And two plays today both at less than 9-1, but second one won at 7.80, see GP selections thread.

So only four plays so far, pre-race on selections, 2 won, but only two qualified at 9-1. I ran into Bob today(his angle) and and picked his brain a few minutes before leaving, He said he prefers all three races to be fairly recent. He will also look at 2nd call or stretch for the 8 lengths rule if horse is shortening up from a route to a sprint. He said he recently bet $28 to place on a horse and regretted it when it won at big odds, not sure how he came up with that amount.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:28 PM   #45
n.c

race 10, Belmont , #5

off turf due to weather, comes back to turf today, for the first time, finished 2nd at 31-1, had ok dirt numbers, add few more pts if it was on Turf angle.
Casse fav wins the race. Exacta $134 with the fav on top.