Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Trading The Financial Markets

Old 05-15-2017, 03:43 PM   #16
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
Thanks. I wish I could make a good prediction for the next 3 to 6 months.

I bought shares in VIXY. It's an ETF that is supposed to track the VIX. I figure if the VIX reached its 4th lowest point since 1990 then it will most likely go up. I'm trying to sell call options against the VIXY shares I own. I have not been able to get a good price for them. So far, I haven't had any takers at my asking price. I figure the downside of the VIXY shares is small and the upside is larger -- asynchronous risk.

When the VIX goes up the market usually goes down. They are inversely related.

I don't have an estimate of how much the market can fall, or even if it will fall.

Interest rates are still historically low. Equities still give good returns with minor risks, although, now the risks are getting bigger and I'm not sure there are going to be enough returns to justify the risks.

It's a conundrum.
I agree because I don't get it.

Thanks for this info. I don't think I was aware of this one. I had found and briefly followed several contrarian indexes (I just wish I knew where I had saved the list so I can see updated). Just 5 years ago this index was 1250 as you probably know which makes it an interesting play if there is a significant adjustment.

I also noticed the same a while back. Uncertain why because I really don't understand it's workings. What are you actually buying with this type of index?

Again, I just don't get it but it's probably because of as you've pointed out. Last year, I randomly selected about 60 stocks and compared them (earnings, revenue, cash etc.) to the Dow 30 and the 60 looked terrible. So, it appeared to me that the market is probably looking better than it really is.

I agree with you on both points.

It's scary but you need to have something in equities.

Last edited by whodoyoulike; 05-15-2017 at 03:45 PM.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2017, 06:52 PM   #17
highnote

I bought this ETF: http://www.proshares.com/funds/vixy.html

It looks like the holdings are mainly May and June VIX futures.

My plan is to sell to VIXY September Call options to hedge my long VIXY position.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2017, 09:55 PM   #18
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Do you know exactly or what these contrarian indexes own?

These futures can not exactly be identified and the futures, the way I understand them change frequently (maybe hourly, or by the day or are they monthly only?). I've never bought any or looked into them.

For example, the S&P 500 index owns stocks in the S&P 500 and you can actually see a listing.

Last edited by whodoyoulike; 05-15-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:22 PM   #19
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike View Post
Do you know exactly or what these contrarian indexes own?
Yes. You can find it on yahoo finance or on the proshares website:

Top 2 Holdings (99.95% of Total Assets)

Company Symbol % Assets

Cboe Vix Future 03/22/2017 (Uxh7) N/A 55.21%
Cboe Vix Future 04/19/2017 (Uxj7) N/A 44.74%
Old 05-15-2017, 10:26 PM   #20
pandy

Quote:
Thanks. I wish I could make a good prediction for the next 3 to 6 months.

I bought shares in VIXY. It's an ETF that is supposed to track the VIX. I figure if the VIX reached its 4th lowest point since 1990 then it will most likely go up. I'm trying to sell call options against the VIXY shares I own. I have not been able to get a good price for them. So far, I haven't had any takers at my asking price. I figure the downside of the VIXY shares is small and the upside is larger -- asynchronous risk.

When the VIX goes up the market usually goes down. They are inversely related.

I don't have an estimate of how much the market can fall, or even if it will fall.

Interest rates are still historically low. Equities still give good returns with minor risks, although, now the risks are getting bigger and I'm not sure there are going to be enough returns to justify the risks.

It's a conundrum.

And corporate profits are good.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2017, 03:10 PM   #21
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
I agree because I don't get it.

Thanks for this info. I don't think I was aware of this one. I had found and briefly followed several contrarian indexes (I just wish I knew where I had saved the list so I can see updated). Just 5 years ago this index was 1250 as you probably know which makes it an interesting play if there is a significant adjustment.

I also noticed the same a while back. Uncertain why because I really don't understand it's workings. What are you actually buying with this type of index?

Again, I just don't get it but it's probably because of as you've pointed out. Last year, I randomly selected about 60 stocks and compared them (earnings, revenue, cash etc.) to the Dow 30 and the 60 looked terrible. So, it appeared to me that the market is probably looking better than it really is.

I agree with you on both points.

It's scary but you need to have something in equities.
The timing of these finance articles can't be just coincidental since I've been noticing and commenting about them for a while.

Quote:
Many S&P industries are performing poorly, but outsized gains in tech stocks are making the market look better than the underlying trends reveal, TradingAnalysis.com founder Todd Gordon told CNBC on Tuesday. ...
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/16/thank...he-market.html

It's always comforting to see a third party confirming one's evaluations.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:25 PM   #22
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Yes. You can find it on yahoo finance or on the proshares website:

Top 2 Holdings (99.95% of Total Assets)

Company Symbol % Assets

Cboe Vix Future 03/22/2017 (Uxh7) N/A 55.21%
Cboe Vix Future 04/19/2017 (Uxj7) N/A 44.74%
But, my point is are these Futures actually assets with long term value because if the price of whatever doesn't meet the amount on the Future's date .... isn't it basically worthless?

Again, I don't and haven't really looked into options trading because .... isn't it really just Gambling with just higher stakes?

For me for the purposes of this discussion, Gambling is buying something perceived by me to have a value at that particular time and then at some future point it doesn't have any value. This applies to horses, BJ, poker and sports wagering.

I prefer certain stocks & bonds because they have value after I've purchased them. In the future maybe not the same but, I always hope it's more. I'm using the word "hope" but it's based on my research and therefore I know it will always have a higher future value.

Last edited by whodoyoulike; 05-16-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:43 PM   #23
highnote

Options and futures are both contracts, but they have different functions.

They are both valuable when used properly, but can be dangerous because you could lose more than you paid.

When used in certain circumstances they can reduce risk and uncertainty.

I wrote a lot covered call options during the financial crises and got good results with very little risk.

I still write them occasionally, but because the VIX has been so low there has not been much option premium to capture.

Companies in many industries use futures to lock in prices so they have a better estimate of their manufacturing costs.

Options can provide insurance for downside protection of your stocks.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:26 PM   #24
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Then you'd better "Heavy-up" on your options, the bond market is about to go south thanks to Fed's bond dump off it's balance sheets, stocks will fall right behind......Sign, sign, everywhere a sign.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2017, 05:32 PM   #25
highnote

Eventually the market will go down. Yesterday the S&P hit a new high.

My indicators show no sign of a sell off. Right now I am following the trend.

If I get a sell signal I will post it here.

Low volatility and new highs seem more like a continuation of a bull market than the beginning of a sell off. I have been wrong g before.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:05 PM   #26
lamboguy

Quote:
Options and futures are both contracts, but they have different functions.

They are both valuable when used properly, but can be dangerous because you could lose more than you paid.

When used in certain circumstances they can reduce risk and uncertainty.

I wrote a lot covered call options during the financial crises and got good results with very little risk.

I still write them occasionally, but because the VIX has been so low there has not been much option premium to capture.

Companies in many industries use futures to lock in prices so they have a better estimate of their manufacturing costs.

i have been writing calls for the last 12 years on RGLD and have only been called away once. i just stopped writing them last year.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2017, 06:22 PM   #27
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
i have been writing calls for the last 12 years on RGLD and have only been called away once. i just stopped writing them last year.
Why did you stop?

I have been wanting to write them on HL but the premiums are too low.

I wrote a bunch back in early 2009 after the crash. I made good profits, but many were called away because stocks were very low in early 2009 and then shot way up.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:20 PM   #28
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
Would you or anyone else care to explain in simple english?

Thanks. The only part I understood was RGLD.

Last edited by whodoyoulike; 05-16-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:50 PM   #29
lamboguy

Quote:

i take it you don't do to much option trading.

when you enter the markets you can either go long, short or neutral. when you write a covered call you own the underlying equity.

what i did was sell a call for whatever it sold for on the open market. example if RGLD was priced at $50 and i sold a call that had a strike price of $55 the premium for a certain length of time might be $1. the buyer pays me the $1 and gets the right to purchase my shares at $55 anytime he wants to within the timeframe that i sold him. when i say my shares get called away, it means that one time the price was $56 or more when the option holder exercised his right.

i hope this explains it to you, if not someone else might do a better job.

Last edited by lamboguy; 05-16-2017 at 09:51 PM.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2017, 10:47 PM   #30
highnote

Quote:

It is complicated to explain using a phone keyboard. Best thing to do is read as much as you can about options. There is a ton of literature on them.

Start with something like "Options for Dummies".

The strategies range from very simple to very complex. You can hedge. You can use them as insurance. You can speculate. You can get tremendous leverage from them and get returns far greater than owning the stock. You can also lose money.