Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-26-2022, 01:16 PM   #1
JohnGalt1

Notice About Claiming Crown in pp's

For the first time, horses that ran in Claiming Crown races at CD are not listed as such.

The Iron Horse for horses that ran in an $8k claiming race is listed as Ra800s purse $100,000. In EVERY previous CC, the pp's stated the name of the stakes race with a notation of the claiming price.

When I handicap Claiming Crown races, I treat them like a standard Starter allowance or 2 levels higher than the actual claiming price. But, when I make my class ratings I treat the CC race as a stakes race after its run.
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2022, 02:34 PM   #2
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt1 View Post
For the first time, horses that ran in Claiming Crown races at CD are not listed as such.

The Iron Horse for horses that ran in an $8k claiming race is listed as Ra800s purse $100,000. In EVERY previous CC, the pp's stated the name of the stakes race with a notation of the claiming price.

When I handicap Claiming Crown races, I treat them like a standard Starter allowance or 2 levels higher than the actual claiming price. But, when I make my class ratings I treat the CC race as a stakes race after its run.
This is tied to the change in Lasix rules. I believe they avoided calling them stakes races this year to allow for Lasix usage by the overwhelming majority of those who have been running on it most, if not all, of their careers. No Lasix allowed in stakes races.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2022, 11:35 AM   #3
JohnGalt1

That makes sense,

Did horses use Lasix at Gulfstream last time? Or is the first year?
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2022, 02:09 PM   #4
BarchCapper

Quote:
That makes sense,

Did horses use Lasix at Gulfstream last time? Or is the first year?
They did use Lasix in the CC last year at Gulfstream, despite The Stronach Group tracks being at the forefront of phasing it out.

It's hard to find any history of the announcements for this. I do know when the self-imposed Lasix bans for stakes races in 2021 were being announced in late 2020 before being put in place, Florida was listed as a state where it was being done "per track rules" (rather than by state requirement). So it's possible the restriction was waived by Gulfstream for the Claiming Crown?

The initial restriction in Kentucky for 2021 was for graded stakes, and was imposed by the KHRC rather than Churchill and the other individual tracks, and was extended to all stakes this year. So Churchill would not have been able to waive the restriction on their own.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2022, 05:26 PM   #5
alhattab

Quote:

R2 at CD 11/27 #3 World of Wonder’s last race on 11/12 is listed in the drf pps as “CC Tiara 167k”
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2022, 12:35 AM   #6
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhattab View Post
R2 at CD 11/27 #3 World of Wonder’s last race on 11/12 is listed in the drf pps as “CC Tiara 167k”
Here's how BRIS lists it on 11/27:

frAlw25000s

On 11/12, BRIS had listed it like this:

fAlw25000s

Last edited by ranchwest; 11-28-2022 at 12:39 AM.
ranchwest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2022, 12:05 PM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

CCACD would be my choice.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: