Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-25-2021, 02:03 PM   #1
Bennie

Partner vs. group-owner question

A friend of mine has bought into a few group owner horses and is getting a little frustrated that even when the horse wins, he doesn't receive and money back. I said most group owner horses are not for the purpose of making a profit but more just for the fun of being an owner, which does have benefits on race day like group seats or tents and sometimes having your picture taken in the winners circle. I know a few of you are partners like Parson and some even owners and was wondering if someone with experience in this area could give me some clarification that I may pass on, as to the difference of group owners and partnerships. When he was invited to join a group tent on Haskell day, they had a horse racing on the under card, they told him it would cost $80 per person. Should be a clue no money is to be made. Any help is appreciated.
Bennie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2021, 03:24 PM   #2
green80

So many of these groups are put together at the expense of unknowing owners simply to make profits for the person that puts the group together. Group members have no control over anything.

If you want to own part of a racehorse, get a few buddies and form your own group, find a honest trainer and then the group members can decide where the money goes.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2021, 03:31 PM   #3
oughtoh

I only know about one group now and they charge for you to go to the races and have a lottery to see if you get to go into the winners circle or get your picture taken. The group I know about chances of getting your money back is slim. You are right, it is for the fun and not the money. Was involved with a group many years ago, they aren't around anymore, and we use to get free seats and admission on the day our horse would run. Also could go into the paddock and winners circle. We also did make some money on some of the horses, but not much. If you don't want to pay money every month, these groups are about the only way you could have a piece of a horse for little money. If you want to make money, or lose money, get a few friends together and go claim a horse.
oughtoh is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2021, 06:55 PM   #4
The_Turf_Monster

Day rates aren’t cheap and ownership groups basically help to minimize losses. The larger the group, the less you lose………even when your horse wins

As far as perks like race day tickets, it sounds like your friend needs to apply for a racing license in whatever state the horse is running in. Horsemen typically enter for free. I’m sure winners circle access is dependent on the size of the group, I’ve never been part of a huge one.
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2021, 07:12 PM   #5
sharkey11

green you are right on the $$ hell even a 1 owner horseman is lucky to ever get a check all they ever get is bills
sharkey11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2021, 11:50 PM   #6
Bennie

Thanks for the replies. He isn't expecting to "get rich" or even get his money back, just thought each member would get something when the horse wins. I'm guessing unless the horse wins a graded race with a big purse, whatever money is won just covers "expenses". He has a share of Authentic but they told him the "money" will come when the breeding starts. The offer to join the groups "tent" at the track was also based on a "lottery" to see would be invited so no telling how many "owners" are in that group. And that was for a maiden special race. He does have some access to areas that allow him to meet and talk to owners, trainers and the monmouth and tvg personal which he enjoys. He is a school teacher who loves the sport but not in the financial status to invest large sums of money so he will have to enjoy what he has and read "the fine print" before investing in the future.
Bennie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: