Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-27-2022, 06:51 PM   #61
thaskalos

I think the PA members here can pretty much agree on what's "right and wrong". I doubt that killing, stealing, or dishonoring our parents would get too many votes as acceptable behavior.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2022, 07:16 PM   #62
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I think the PA members here can pretty much agree on what's "right and wrong". I doubt that killing, stealing, or dishonoring our parents would get too many votes as acceptable behavior.

What about coveting another man's wife? That isn't as bad as another man's wife coveting you.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2022, 07:23 PM   #63
porchy44

Quote:
You grabbed all the low hanging fruit.

How about some more controversial topics like: Transgenderism, homosexuality, capital punishment, abortion, just to name a few. Which of these is right or wrong.

If moral truths seem so objective to you, why are they so subjective to the general population.

Last edited by porchy44; 11-27-2022 at 07:29 PM.
porchy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2022, 07:31 PM   #64
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchy44 View Post
You grabbed all the low hanging fruit.

How about some more controversial topics like: Transgenderism, homosexuality, capital punishment, abortion, just to name a few. Which of these is right or wrong.
I don't claim to be the "bible expert" that Boxcar is...but I don't think the "good book" says anything about transgenderism and abortion. Unlike what some believers claim...the bible doesn't have "ALL the answers".
Old 11-27-2022, 07:38 PM   #65
thaskalos

Quote:
If moral truths seem so objective to you, why are they so subjective to the general population.
Which "moral truth" is so subjective to the general population? Killing? Stealing? Cheating on our spouse? Dishonoring our parents? Giving false testimony in a court of law?
Old 11-27-2022, 07:40 PM   #66
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
No. The Bible was compiled thousands of years ago.

We didn’t know shit.

Now we do.

Would you follow a 1000 year-old guide to fix your car?
"Would you follow a 1000 year-old guide to fix" the human race? The essence of the bible's message (in both Testaments) is that God has taken the initiative through his Son to restore the relationship sinless man once had with God.

Also eternal truth, coming from an eternal God, is always eternal no matter how long ago it was passed on to mankind through God's prophets and apostles.
Old 11-27-2022, 07:43 PM   #67
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
"Would you follow a 1000 year-old guide to fix" the human race? The essence of the bible's message (in both Testaments) is that God has taken the initiative through his Son to restore the relationship sinless man once had with God.

Also eternal truth, coming from an eternal God, is always eternal no matter how long ago it was passed on to mankind through God's prophets and apostles.
Says you. what in man's behavior proves to you that man's relationship with God has been "restored"?
Old 11-27-2022, 07:53 PM   #68
porchy44

Quote:
Which "moral truth" is so subjective to the general population? Killing? Stealing? Cheating on our spouse? Dishonoring our parents? Giving false testimony in a court of law?

quit citing that low hanging fruit and "engage Maverick"

definition of marriage, pretty subjective to me.

Last edited by porchy44; 11-27-2022 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-27-2022, 07:55 PM   #69
boxcar

Quote:
I don't claim to be the "bible expert" that Boxcar is...but I don't think the "good book" says anything about transgenderism and abortion. Unlike what some believers claim...the bible doesn't have "ALL the answers".
Wrong! The bible does address those kinds of issues in principle. For example, when it says that in the beginning, "God created them male and female" (Mat 19:4), are we supposed to interpret that to mean that he also created them to feel whatever gender they identify as?

And there are several bible texts that militate strongly against abortion because the divinely inspired texts presume the personhood of the unborn. See for example Lk 1:41-44. Note carefully the phrase in v.44 "the baby in my womb leaped for joy". But a very large segment of the world believes a baby is a human being only outside the womb.
Old 11-27-2022, 08:04 PM   #70
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
No. Religiosity is a choice. Skin color is not.
When I was young I was seeing a young lady who was from a big family, instead of lighting a cigarette after enjoying our afternoon of pure delight and said I'm Roman Catholic. To connect the rest of the story together here goes. The girl was a much younger Sophia Loren look alike from a big family and I lived on the main street. She would park her car on a dead end side street behind my street, the house behind mine was on that dead end and had a path down to the lower main rt 60. We would see an older couple who lived in thr house above and behind mine. So at a young age both of us looked and admired that couple well into and above 70 years keeping each other going and alive. I got cleaned up real well on a Sunday and went to my then loves church, and ended up sitting next to that couple who recognized us with a warm smile. I can't help thinking how alive that older was on that day in church and how dead in the heart you are.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2022, 08:53 PM   #71
thaskalos

Quote:
quit citing that low hanging fruit and "engage Maverick"

definition of marriage, pretty subjective to me.
You started talking to me about the subjective nature of "moral truths", and now you bring up the definition of marriage. Is that a "moral truth"?
Old 11-27-2022, 09:13 PM   #72
porchy44

Quote:
You started talking to me about the subjective nature of "moral truths", and now you bring up the definition of marriage. Is that a "moral truth"?
"Marriage is the relationship in which a man and a woman become one in a lifetime commitment".

You dont think there is controversy behind that statement? Im done. I know when someone is "yanking my chain".

Last edited by porchy44; 11-27-2022 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-27-2022, 10:21 PM   #73
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
The essence of the bible's message (in both Testaments) is that God has taken the initiative through his Son to restore the relationship sinless man once had with God.
Not in both books...don't lie now...the Bible doesn't like lying.

I know you NEED it to be in both books...but it's not.
Old 11-27-2022, 10:30 PM   #74
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Can we rename this thread to Religion 18 or whatever?
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2022, 11:19 PM   #75
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I don't think being a vegetarian would work if you are an athlete who needs to build and then maintain muscle bulk. I know they were all juicers, but books written by leading body builders from those very 70's preached the need for a lot of protein, which would be very difficult to consume if one does not eat meat. A lot of the science in that area is the same now as was then.
If you look at all the legal muscle building supplements they contain the same ingredients as 50 years ago. The advance in science is mostly in cheating.
You have the comical misconception that in order to be strong and powerful, we must eat meat.

The world’s strongest animals are plant eaters. Gorillas, buffaloes, elephants, rhinos, pandas, giraffes, hippos, horses and the cows you eat (among others)

Many humans athletes are also vegetarian and too numerous to list.

Many famous scientist and artists were vegetarian too such as Sir Isacc Newton, Leonardo Da Vinci, Nikola Tesla, Edison etc. Einstein and Darwin became vegetarian towards the latter part of their lives.

Point is that it is a myth that you need to eat meat for strength. 5% of the U.S is now either vegetarian or Vegan and their diet is being recognized as much healthier than meat eater's diet as well as healthier for the planet.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: