Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-18-2022, 11:13 AM   #31
jimmyb

Looks like he got pre trial diversion. As long as he complies with the terms of the plea he'll have no criminal record. Some will never let it go though.

I'm sure he wishes it never happened. Time to move on and not throw stones... glass houses and all.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2022, 01:08 PM   #32
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Please provide a link proving what you wrote above, or I will have to delete it.

Nothing I have read in the news points to anything you write above being true.

He pled guilty to a LESSER CHARGE. Why in the world would he do that if he then had to do as you say above?

https://wnyt.com/top-stories/saratog...educed-charge/
Do you know how a plea colloquy works? He must "admit the conduct made punishable by the law". (See here: https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...ens-court.html )

The way it works is the prosecutors and his defense lawyers will agree on a script setting forth the facts of his offense. So he won't simply be able to say "I am guilty of harassment". He will have to admit the facts of what he actually did.

The charge is knocked down. But that's the deal- you accept responsibility FOR WHAT YOU ACTUALLY DID, and in exchange, the charge is knocked down and the greater charges are dismissed.

Indeed, the law cannot compel a defendant to admit anything other than the true facts. That would constitute perjury.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2022, 01:18 PM   #33
dilanesp

The basic point here, made succinctly, is suppose you point a gun at someone and are charged with assault with a deadly weapon. If prosecutors take your guilty plea for first offense simple assault and put you in a diversion program, they are still going to make you go into court and admit you pointed the gun. They won't let you just say "I committed simple assault". You have to admit the actual conduct that brings about the charge, and you aren't allowed to lie about it.
Old 11-18-2022, 01:40 PM   #34
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

So show me the court video or court transcript of Chad stating he threw her down the stairs and choked her.

Or even one news report.
Old 11-18-2022, 02:58 PM   #35
deelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
The basic point here, made succinctly, is suppose you point a gun at someone and are charged with assault with a deadly weapon. If prosecutors take your guilty plea for first offense simple assault and put you in a diversion program, they are still going to make you go into court and admit you pointed the gun. They won't let you just say "I committed simple assault". You have to admit the actual conduct that brings about the charge, and you aren't allowed to lie about it.
They CAN force a defendant to admit to certain facts but they don't HAVE to do anything. The prosecution and judge can accept a guilty plea with no further explanation needed.

Get transcripts and let's see what actually happened.
Old 11-18-2022, 03:51 PM   #36
BarchCapper

There's also this note at the end of the WNYT story:

EDITOR’S NOTE: An earlier version of this story erroneously described this as an assault case. Brown was never charged with assault.

There have been a lot of us guilty of erroneous statements of one sort or another in this matter over the past months.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2022, 04:26 PM   #37
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
So show me the court video or court transcript of Chad stating he threw her down the stairs and choked her.

Or even one news report.
Has he had his colloquy yet? They just announced the plea deal!
Old 11-18-2022, 04:29 PM   #38
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by deelo View Post
They CAN force a defendant to admit to certain facts but they don't HAVE to do anything. The prosecution and judge can accept a guilty plea with no further explanation needed.

Get transcripts and let's see what actually happened.
That's true. They can accept an Alford plea (where the defendant maintains innocence), but prosecutors generally don't accept them, and judges don't like them either. In any event, Alford pleas usually get publicized as such-- this doesn't look like an Alford plea.

The prosecutors can also agree to a procedure where they read the facts into the record but do not require the defendant to assent to them, but in that situation, the judge can still ask, in the colloquy, that the defendant admit that those facts are true, and many judges do this as a matter of course. And any good defense lawyer advises their client BEFORE taking the plea deal that they may have to admit the facts as part of the colloquy. I am sure Brown was so advised.
Old 11-18-2022, 05:14 PM   #39
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I am sure Brown was so advised.
I am quite sure you're not sure of anything when it comes to this case.
Old 11-18-2022, 05:34 PM   #40
BarchCapper

What is second degree harassment? Here's the definition:

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/PEN/240.26

If you want to see some of the differences, the links at the top of the page take you on the left to first degree and on the right to aggravated harassment in the second degree, both of which are misdemeanors, whereas "regular" second degree harassment is a violation.

The original charge of criminal obstruction of breathing was also a misdemeanor charge.
Old 11-18-2022, 11:32 PM   #41
Someday Silent

Has anyone tried offering Brown some THC gummies? I hear those are great at making people chill out.
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2022, 11:37 PM   #42
Someday Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by $w1fT View Post
Man, keyboard tough guy with gay and misogynistic jokes?! Because I don’t like your boy Chad Brown? How will I ever recover from this?
Must be his insecurity talking.
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2022, 08:04 PM   #43
SG4

So I fully expected the following morning to see an announcement (or more likely a tweet) via a press figure or someone connected to Chad Brown that his account was hacked or some similar excuse for the tweeting barrage & account deletion which occurred. Considering it's been several days & no such word is out, is it now fair to assume it was legitimately him behind all those tweets?
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2022, 12:09 PM   #44
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
So I fully expected the following morning to see an announcement (or more likely a tweet) via a press figure or someone connected to Chad Brown that his account was hacked or some similar excuse for the tweeting barrage & account deletion which occurred. Considering it's been several days & no such word is out, is it now fair to assume it was legitimately him behind all those tweets?
Other than a couple of tweets which came from an almost identically named impostor account at the end (after Chad had deleted his own account), I don't think there was too much question about whether it was him or not. He's "thrown down" with others (to a lesser extent) before.

I will miss his account somewhat - he was pretty good with some of the memes!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: