Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 06-10-2018, 10:56 PM   #31
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyChippy423 View Post
Secretariat was an amazing horse with an amazing triple crown win. If you research articles written back then even the sports writers concur that those races were boring. Boring because there was no competition and Big Red blew away fields. Justify ran merry go round type races with little competition as well.
No need to research - I was reading them in real time.
The word "boring" was never used that I recall. The air was filled with excitement. Big Red did not blow always the Derby - he won by a couple. The big move he made early in the Preakness was headline material. The word "awesome" was used a lot. The anticipation of a TC winners was dripping off the pages and TV coverage. When the race was over, "boring" was never used.

Awesome, unbelievable, amazing, thrilling were bandied about.
Big Red graced the covers of several magazines, led nightly news reports and replays on the radio were heard for days afterward.

Sham was highly regarded and even going into the Belmont, there was hot debate over who would prevail.

The only one who thought Big Red was "boring" may well have been Tony Black, who rode against him and remarked," We all heard about this Big Horse, but let me tell ya, when the gates opened, the farther we ran, the smaller he got!
Old 06-10-2018, 11:10 PM   #32
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
What rocket fuel did they give Secretariat that day?
_______

It's a dirty game, and always has been.

Only way they'll ever catch the cheats is to save samples for future testing.

Something the "sport" has no desire to do.

But, nowadays they ALL cheat. Especially the biggest outfits with the best pharmacists.

________

Justify is just the latest.

This post has no truth. Please post factual links.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2018, 11:28 PM   #33
Profesor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Were people calling it watered down when Secretariat, Seattle Slew, and Affirmed won the Triple Crown over six seasons? I really don't know, was just a kid.
I think this particular BELMONT was watered down by a lot,first they don’t enter AUDIBLE and then this.

https://nypost.com/2018/06/10/belmon...stify-victory/
Profesor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2018, 11:32 PM   #34
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
No need to research - I was reading them in real time.
The word "boring" was never used that I recall. The air was filled with excitement. Big Red did not blow always the Derby - he won by a couple. The big move he made early in the Preakness was headline material. The word "awesome" was used a lot. The anticipation of a TC winners was dripping off the pages and TV coverage. When the race was over, "boring" was never used.

Awesome, unbelievable, amazing, thrilling were bandied about.
Big Red graced the covers of several magazines, led nightly news reports and replays on the radio were heard for days afterward.

Sham was highly regarded and even going into the Belmont, there was hot debate over who would prevail.

The only one who thought Big Red was "boring" may well have been Tony Black, who rode against him and remarked," We all heard about this Big Horse, but let me tell ya, when the gates opened, the farther we ran, the smaller he got!
I was a kid, but I remember sitting in the barbershop with my dad for what seemed an eternity, talking about Secretariat. Then some News magazine put him on the cover and it was a huge deal.

I remember it being discussed on radio too. My Dad and I watched all three races, but he demanded I watch the Belmont, no screwing around.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:22 AM   #35
GaryG
Unreconstructed

I remember Secretariat's derby quite well. Sham was a very nice horse and he beat a quality colt named Linda's Chief in the SA derby. As I remember Sham was well bet in the derby, 2-1 or 5-2.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:20 PM   #36
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyChippy423 View Post
As I predicted after Justifies win in the KD he goes on to win the triple crown. The Triple Crown in my opinion is not such a great achievement anymore. The horses are sub par, the breeding is extremely diluted and the excitement is just not there . VISA even pulled out because they knew the odds to win a triple crown have become much easier over the years. They saved milllions not being part of the AP and Justify wins. Other then Gronkowski closing like a bullet up the rail the Belmont was boring.
I can understand where you're coming from. I wasn't as excited about this triple crown for similar reasons. The drama was more about justify's foot than anything else. Being so close to AP's triple crown probably took the buzz away some. I believe Seattle Slew went through something similar. With all that said, I'm still happy that he won.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2018, 07:09 PM   #37
airford1

Quote:
_______

But, nowadays they ALL cheat. Especially the biggest outfits with the best pharmacists.

________

Put down the Crack pipe and seek intervention.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2018, 09:59 PM   #38
horses4courses

How quickly they forget

chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2018, 12:17 AM   #39
steveb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
YOU are what is boring. You've got 11 posts, mostly whining. Please, spare the rest of us and let this one be your last.

best you speak for yourself.
i always thought fora were there for people to express opinion.
is somebody having a differing opinion to you good enough reason to spout that sort of stuff?
steveb is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2018, 12:23 AM   #40
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by airford1 View Post
Put down the Crack pipe and seek intervention.
You see, I actually sort of agree with Denny on this point...I know it's a rare thing.

I would not be shocked in the slightest to learn someday that Secretariat was juiced to the hilt on steroids. Steroids were already getting into mainstream sports around the time of Secretariat...so who knows?

You think people were above doing that sort of thing back then?
Old 06-12-2018, 12:58 AM   #41
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
_______

________

I'll tell you Denny, you have taken some heat for this post. Been called a crack pot on a crack pipe, and had it suggested that you go pound sand in a rathole or something to that effect. I will say this, what you suggest is exactly how Lance Armstrong was caught. His blood samples were saved until technology caught up. You are also right on when you say that the sport has no desire to catch cheaters, at least not in the big races.

With all that said, there is absolutely no proof at this time that Justify is on the juice. There is; however, ample evidence that Baffert's other horse caused some serious trouble in the race. I don't know if it would have changed the outcome, but it was pretty obvious what was going on.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:03 AM   #42
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Horsey...."Hold my beer..."
Old 06-12-2018, 12:21 PM   #43
jdhanover

Secretariat was not juiced. I recall in his autopsy they said that the physical size of his heart was enormous. He was just a special horse. The '73 Belmont was a special race.

Secretariat was simply the best racehorse I have ever seen...no other is close. Think about it - 1:09 and change but then keeps going?!?!?! He was unbelievable.

I don't think the TC is watered down 9as other have noted there haven't been that many). When you get 2 fairly close to each other it may seem less 'special'
jdhanover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2018, 08:23 PM   #44
Big Russ

[QUOTE=jdhanover;2328464]Secretariat was not juiced. I recall in his autopsy they said that the physical size of his heart was enormous. He was just a special horse. The '73 Belmont was a special race.

I never really thought about this before, but an enlarged heart can be a sign of steroid abuse.
Big Russ is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2018, 08:56 PM   #45
jocko699
Resurrectionist

My God the conspiracy theorists.

Citation was clearly on drugs. Ain't no way a horse races that often. War Admiral was so big he had to be on steroids, had to be. No way a freak of a horse like Secretariat could not be on steroids, no way!

Justify can't win the Kentucky Derby due to the Apollo curse and he hasn't faced anyone.

He may have won the KD but Audible would have caught him in another eighth of a mile and he can't win the Preakness. CD was clearly speed bias on May 5th.

He only won the Preakness because it was a speed favoring track and if it was 20-feet longer Bravazo, who was clearly the better horse, would have won easily!

There is no way Justify wins on a sandy track like Belmont, no way. Scat Daddy babies cannot make 12 furlongs. He has had all his races go his way and can't win on the Belmont graveyard, no way!

He wouldn't have won Belmont if RH didn't basically take out the whole field on the first turn, no way. Gronk was clearly the best horse and there is no way Justify will beat this monster in the future.

Don't even get me going about how much better Mendelssohn is than Justify.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply