Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-13-2018, 07:18 AM   #106
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Thank you Mulerider and baconswitchfarm for responding to my inquiry on Standardbreds.
Denny -- Thought you might be interested in this:

Tanner Unveils Proposal for Standardbred Transition Alliance

Relevant excerpt:

“In October, [USTA Director of Registry and Member Services] TC Lane and I attended a meeting of key industry stakeholders at the Red Mile to discuss Standardbred aftercare,” Tanner said. “The meeting was borne out of frustration concerning the plight of a Standardbred named Killean Cut Kid, who was found in poor condition in a sales pen in Louisiana."

Related article on Killean Cut Kid

Mule
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2018, 09:21 AM   #107
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Here's the comment page for Boyd Gaming corporate...maybe we should all drop them a line and let them know what we think about the current situation at one of their properties?

https://www.boydgaming.com/contact-us

I know it probably won't matter...but if enough people write, perhaps someone will at least start paying attention...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2018, 09:39 AM   #108
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Here's the comment page for Boyd Gaming corporate...maybe we should all drop them a line and let them know what we think about the current situation at one of their properties?

I know it probably won't matter...but if enough people write, perhaps someone will at least start paying attention...
Done. Again.

And I was polite, again. Well, except maybe for a subtle, nuanced mention of 60 Minutes.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:02 AM   #109
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Thank you Mulerider and baconswitchfarm for responding to my inquiry on Standardbreds.
Denny -- forgot to send you this. It's a rescue organization for Standardbreds.

https://www.facebook.com/sosspage/

Scroll down a bit and there were 15 Standardbreds that this group was trying to bail out of two pens in Pennsylvania, one in Shippensburg and the other in Lebanon. Yesterday was their deadline, don't know if they got it done in time.

Mule
Old 03-13-2018, 10:44 AM   #110
bello
Veteran

Amishing the standardbred

Not sure it still goes on, but my guess is it still does.

Amish truck would pull into Monticello Raceway and pick up the horses many owners did not want to keep. Owners know many will go off to the kill pens and some may actually be put to use on the front of a buggy. Clear conscious ( if you want to call it that) since the owners don't know if they will really live as an Amish horse or sent to slaughter.

Process is known as Amishing.
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2018, 11:28 AM   #111
baconswitchfarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
Denny -- forgot to send you this. It's a rescue organization for Standardbreds.

https://www.facebook.com/sosspage/

Scroll down a bit and there were 15 Standardbreds that this group was trying to bail out of two pens in Pennsylvania, one in Shippensburg and the other in Lebanon. Yesterday was their deadline, don't know if they got it done in time.

Mule

If you scroll through that rescues page you will see what I was talking about. Every horse they are trying to rescue is between 13 and 20 something years old. There are no horses that have just come off the track and right to a killer pen. It is still an issue the industry is trying to address with these elder horses who have out lived any use except for a companion pet. But you will never find twenty healthy young horses in a kill lot at the end of the meet like in Louisiana. It is a tough issue to solve as finding a home for thousands of arthritic senior horses that cant be ridden or used is a steep climb. The mass numbers of thoroughbreds that needs to be dealt with seems daunting.
baconswitchfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2018, 01:11 PM   #112
Cholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post

Done, Boss.

like Mule, was polite...though I did suggest some campaign to let their customers know what their gambling dollars were supporting.
Cholly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2018, 01:42 PM   #113
cutchemist42

What is sad is how hard it is to break the killpen cycle.

-Killbuyer buys at auction/owner for 300.
-Makes rescue pay 800 cause they know they will and prey off the kindness.
-Killbuyer now has more money to buy more horses than before.

You need a solution where rescues can have equal access off the track for a fairprice. If you are an owner getting paid the same, wouldnt you rather get 300 from a rescue vs a killbuyer?
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2018, 01:45 PM   #114
cutchemist42

And for education, just look at how bad the trailers and slaughter practices are for Mexico.

At least in Canada, the horse is shot/stunned as accurately as possible.

In Mexico, they are stabbed several times through the spinal cord and than the throat is sliced to further bleed.

On top of that, too many of these trainers are signing fraudulent drug papers. Eating American racehorse meat is not healthy.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:30 PM   #115
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
What is sad is how hard it is to break the killpen cycle.

-Killbuyer buys at auction/owner for 300.
-Makes rescue pay 800 cause they know they will and prey off the kindness.
-Killbuyer now has more money to buy more horses than before.

You need a solution where rescues can have equal access off the track for a fairprice. If you are an owner getting paid the same, wouldnt you rather get 300 from a rescue vs a killbuyer?
This excellent post gets to the heart of the matter. Jacob Thompson was firm in his price to Dina Alborano on the Delta 24, for which she had to pay $945 each. He wouldn't budge. He'd rather send them to slaughter than to show a willingness to negotiate or compromise with a rescue. That's the kind of people you're dealing with.

Best scenario would be to pass the SAFE Act and stop all horse exports for slaughter. Barring that, we've got to put owners and rescues together and cut people like Jacob Thompson out of the equation.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:16 PM   #116
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
This excellent post gets to the heart of the matter. Jacob Thompson was firm in his price to Dina Alborano on the Delta 24, for which she had to pay $945 each. He wouldn't budge. He'd rather send them to slaughter than to show a willingness to negotiate or compromise with a rescue. That's the kind of people you're dealing with.

Best scenario would be to pass the SAFE Act and stop all horse exports for slaughter. Barring that, we've got to put owners and rescues together and cut people like Jacob Thompson out of the equation.
Yep, theres a special place in hell for someone thats running an operation like that. Im not trying to hide from the fact alot of animals are slaughtered. Given the same price though, I dont understand how any reasonable wouldnt take the rescue money.

I know my track ASD has a group on FB called the Final Furlong where exracers are posted by trainers with their current condition. Some might be just pasture pets, but the ones that can still do other athletics still go for $1500-2000.

There needs to be a fairprice avenue for the rescues. Going straight from track to killpen by these scummy owners is not going to work for the rescues.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:12 PM   #117
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
There needs to be a fairprice avenue for the rescues. Going straight from track to killpen by these scummy owners is not going to work for the rescues.
I have in front of me the 2017-2018 Delta Downs Thoroughbred Stall Application. There are 23 conditions listed that applicants must agree to. Number 23, added, perhaps, as an afterthought, says, "Any trainer or owner based at Delta Downs who sells a horse for slaughter that was previously based at Delta Downs will have their stalls permanently revoked." That's it in its entirety.

Contrast that with Tampa Bay's 2017-2018 stall application, which includes the following on the first page as a separate, distinct notification, segregated from the text of all the other rules:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All owners or trainers stabled at Tampa Bay Downs (TBD) found to have directly or indirectly sold a horse for slaughter will have his or her stalls permanently revoked. Tampa Bay Downs requires its horsemen to conduct due diligence on those buying horses and encourages them to support rescue and adoption efforts by finding humane ways of dealing with horses unable to continue racing. Any owners or trainers stabled at TBD found to have directly or indirectly sold a horse for slaughter will have his or her stalls permanently revoked. TBD requires its horsemen to conduct due diligence on those buying horses and encourages them to support rescue and adoption efforts by finding humane ways of dealing with horses unable to continue racing

That's a direct cut and paste. You'll notice that the statement repeats itself. Whether by accident or by design, it gets the point across.

(The emphasis on the word "indirectly" above is mine, because that word is key to holding connections accountable. I can't remember the track, but one trainer last year who was being investigated for this issue claimed he sold horses to a buyer who was going to donate them to a children's camp. Right...)
Old 03-13-2018, 07:52 PM   #118
Cholly

Here's the lame response I received from Jamie Gaines (JamieGaines@boydgaming.com):

"Thank you for reaching out, Jim

As you’ve probably read in our posts, Delta Downs has an anti-slaughter policy. That policy is posted throughout our stables and in our racing forms and condition books. If a trainer or owner is found to have knowingly sold a horse to slaughter, we will permanently revoke their stall privileges.

But we do not license owners or trainers, and we do not have the authority to revoke – or attempt to revoke – those licenses.

Furthermore, we do not have the legal right to bar licensed owners and trainers from racing at our tracks.

Just to be clear, we are vehemently opposed to this behavior, and we will continue to work with all licensing authorities to do what we are permitted to do under the law to deter this behavior.

Again, we appreciate you reaching out, and we hope we’ve answered your questions."

Following the link provided above by PA, my original submission to Boyd Gaming was forwarded to Jamie Gaines. Not sure if Jamie Gaines is part of the corporate side of Boyd Gaming or part of Delta Downs, so use your own judgement if you want to contact Jamie Gaines directly or route through the corporate website.

But hopefully some others will "reach out"--Jamie will thank you for it.
Cholly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2018, 08:17 PM   #119
Mulerider

Delta feeling Pace Advantage heat?

Well, well. Look what Delta just posted on its Twitter page, its first acknowledgement of the issue since the last time a big group of horses was saved from Thompson's Kill Lot in January. I say we stay on 'em.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:38 PM   #120
Mulerider

Cholly, I never got a response. Guess it was the 60 Minutes thing...

One wonders how Mr. Gaines reconciles his statement to you that "Furthermore, we do not have the legal right to bar licensed owners and trainers from racing at our tracks.." with the VERY FIRST ITEM in their 2017-2018 Thoroughbred Stall Application:

1. Delta Downs reserves the right to refuse the application for stable space in whole or in part or refuse the acceptance of any entry into any race for any reason or cause and without notice to the undersigned.

With all due respect to Mr. Gaines, I call bullshit on his response.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: