Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.20 average.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:32 PM   #1186
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
IMO this resembled a case of "pay for your own damages".....You're both at fault.
Neither filly took a very straight path.
Quite frankly, the rules seem to be somewhat different for two year olds.
I bet on it and wanted the one to come down so I'm not very objective. But in the case of the one clearly coming out before the bumping exchange near the wire, that was all the one. She drifted out steadily and deprived the six of the path she had been running in. Once the one finally corrects and the six has a clear path again, she runs right up to her. I'm not sure that I really disagree with the decision (in part because they are inexperienced two-year-olds), but given it was a dead-heat and I find it almost impossible to believe that the six doesn't win outright if that interference never occurs, it's pretty hard to really agree with the decision as well.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2016, 05:35 PM   #1187
NJ Stinks

Quote:
IMO this resembled a case of "pay for your own damages".....You're both at fault.
Neither filly took a very straight path.
Quite frankly, the rules seem to be somewhat different for two year olds.
You and I were not watching the same race. The #6 lost big-time because the #1 drifted out so far.

Castellano won't never learn to stop this BS because he keeps getting away with it. Reminds me of Perret at Monmouth years ago - that stunk too.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:39 PM   #1188
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Anybody that thought this was coming down doesn't really pay much attention to New York racing.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2016, 05:40 PM   #1189
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

On the shutter cam, the 1 won the race.

I think the stewards saw a tough decision coming up, so they photo shopped and created a dead heat, knowing full well they would not make any changes.

Go ahead, call me crazy.

I still think they use multiple photos as they cross the supposed finish area and pick the one they want.

The one totally had a clear solid nose in front on the shutter cam.

To make everyone happy, let's make it a dead heat.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2016, 05:42 PM   #1190
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME

I think the stewards saw a tough decision coming up, so they photo shopped and created a dead heat, knowing full well they would not make any changes.

Go ahead, call me crazy.

I still think they use multiple photos as they cross the supposed finish area and pick the one they want.

You think stewards know how to use Photoshop? GTFOOH!
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2016, 05:44 PM   #1191
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Anybody that thought this was coming down doesn't really pay much attention to New York racing.
That was my first thought. Everyone chalked it up to "kidding" when Jones complained about Chatterbox coming down last year because it was Pletcher in New York, yet that was exactly my thought waiting for the call on this inquiry.

I thought the 1 should come down for multiple reasons, including the bump that the 1 gave the 6 that knocked that one's hind end out. But I knew it'd stand. It's Pletcher in NY.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2016, 05:45 PM   #1192
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME

Go ahead, call me crazy.

The photo that I saw in crappy resolution showed a dead heat and unless it looks differently in big, high-res view, I'll defer to that.

But, I do think that had the gotten the nod outright then the decision to leave her up might have been a little tougher. Hard to say that it potentially cost her a better placing when she won. Or rephrased differently, she got there first in spite of it so what's the point on a tough call where the rider never really quit riding but the filly sure looked like she was bothered having a horse run sideways in front of her for no reason.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:46 PM   #1193
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I posted in another thread that it was the longshot of the meet to have her come down, but I was hoping. I wouldn't rate NY stews as terribly consistent or predictable in general. But this one probably was.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:47 PM   #1194
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Or that they can photoshop that quickly.

There is only one shutter exactly on the wire.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:03 PM   #1195
SuperPickle

So the general compliant on this board is they need to let them play. They let them play and it was a dead heat.

I don't see anything to get worked up about.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2016, 07:12 PM   #1196
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Stinks
You and I were not watching the same race. The #6 lost big-time because the #1 drifted out so far.

Castellano won't never learn to stop this BS because he keeps getting away with it. Reminds me of Perret at Monmouth years ago - that stunk too.
Ok..Looking at the pan shot, when the drifts out, the is well back by more than a length. In other words, the track was clear all around the .
Add the fact that the rider on leader did switch to right hand whipping in an effort to straighten his mount. I think that may have scored points with the Stewards.
Finally, the two final bumps which were one horse going in, the other out, may have sealed the decision as a no change.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2016, 07:15 PM   #1197
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Classic!!!!!
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2016, 07:16 PM   #1198
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Ok..Looking at the pan shot, when the drifts out, the is well back by more than a length. In other words, the track was clear all around the .
Add the fact that the rider on leader did switch to right hand whipping in an effort to straighten his mount. I think that may have scored points with the Stewards.
Finally, the two final bumps which were one horse going in,that's it the other out, may have sealed the decision as a no change.
If you don't think all that drifting by the #1 cost #6 an inch or more, that's it. Time to move on.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:29 PM   #1199
Fager Fan
Veteran

The first couple of brushes were that - brushes. But then the 1 bumped the 6 hard. That is why I think the 1 should've come down. That bump definitely cost the 6 as she had legs bumped out from under her. The two brushes earlier didn't cost either filly momentum.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:05 AM   #1200
SuperPickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Stinks
If you don't think all that drifting by the #1 cost #6 an inch or more, that's it. Time to move on.
We all agree on that its the question of whether it's enough to take the horse down.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply