Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-20-2017, 07:10 AM   #1
PowerUpPaynter

Betting Stratagy

What types of bets do you like to make? Do you play for the WIN bet or do you play for a big payout?

Although ill be holding a bunch of tickets my favorite bet is $1 TRI

AB w/ ABCDEFG w/ ABCDEFG

cost 60 bucks.
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2017, 09:42 AM   #2
Andrick

I'm sure I'll make a win bet or two and then maybe a couple of show bets on some longer priced horses if I like their chances to hit the board. I'll play for the exacta and trifectas as well, but how those are structured each year depends on what opinion I have. As of now with 2+ weeks to go I can see myself playing it similar to you, Paynter, with a 2x6x6.
Andrick is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2017, 09:58 AM   #3
letswastemoney

It's too hard to pick the winner, especially in a wide open Derby.

Backwheel for me...

ABCD / ABCDEFGH / Y

Something like that.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2017, 10:55 AM   #4
PowerUpPaynter

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney View Post
It's too hard to pick the winner, especially in a wide open Derby.

Backwheel for me...

ABCD / ABCDEFGH / Y

Something like that.
You think its easier to pick the 3rd place horse?
Old 04-20-2017, 11:22 AM   #5
letswastemoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUpPaynter View Post
You think its easier to pick the 3rd place horse?
Easy might be the wrong word. It's still a stab, but I'd bet the Derby pace will be moderate to fast, and I just need a stamina horse who can move forward towards the end.

Maybe I'll use 2 deep closers in 3rd just to make it more fun.

But I have no strong opinion on who the winner is, so yes, this is the strategy for me. Just put 5 or 6 strong contenders on top and an "okay" closer keyed on the bottom.

Last edited by letswastemoney; 04-20-2017 at 11:24 AM.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #6
PowerUpPaynter

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney View Post
Easy might be the wrong word. It's still a stab, but I'd bet the Derby pace will be moderate to fast, and I just need a stamina horse who can move forward towards the end.

Maybe I'll use 2 deep closers in 3rd just to make it more fun.

But I have no strong opinion on who the winner is, so yes, this is the strategy for me. Just put 5 or 6 strong contenders on top and an "okay" closer keyed on the bottom.
hmm thats an interesting take
Old 04-20-2017, 11:55 AM   #7
Sinner369

With the ...............???

With the number of starters at 20 horses.........it is very difficult to use the ALL button..........even for the show (third line) positon.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:13 PM   #8
f2tornado

My thoughts considering a $200 bankroll in addition to existing Future pool bets with a goal of winning $1000. This is the first year in a long time I like three horses on top. Unfortunately, two are the 1st and 2nd favorite. I will bet the Oaks/Derby double keying Paradise Woods over several Derby horses in an effort to inflate those win odds. Perhaps $10 each. Maybe also cover something goofy for a few dollars. Perhaps score $200 if it hits.

Another option is the Oaks/Woodford/Derby P3. I will probably play a $1 1x4x3 = $12. I figure this might score another $200-$300. I will scout out an upset in the Oaks and add another wager. If that one hits then the payoff would be huge.

I will use my top 3 Derby horses in some sort of trifecta wager. Perhaps a 50 cent 3x5x7 for $30. Since I like Always Dreaming most I will probably make another 50 cent bet with him. Something like a 50 cent 1x4x8 = $12. The payoff will obviously depend on what hits underneath but I'll estimate $300 take here.

I already have Always Dreaming over a chunk of the field in the Future pools but have nothing with Classic Empire. I'm thinking of a $5 box AD/CE/Hence. This might pay $200.

That gets me close to a grand with the potential for plenty more if a bomber hits the tri and/or I luck out with some of my Future pool wagers.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2017, 07:20 PM   #9
Bennie

My initial bets will be Oaks/Woodford/Derby pick 3 and Oaks/Derby Double. It owes me nothing as I had both with Orb a couple of years ago and a few smaller in years past. If live to the Derby, I will probably just cover my butt with some exotic bets keying a couple of horses I left out.
I have futures with Irish/field boxed and McCrak/field boxed as well as a few bucks on Irish at like 26-1. I do usually take a wild stab at the tri and super for a few bucks just for kicks, you never know.
Bennie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2017, 09:49 PM   #10
PowerUpPaynter

How much of a factor does post position figure into your exotics? 12 of 17 3rd place finishers this century post 8 or inside. While 5 of last 6 4th place finishers post 13 or out.

coincidence?.... probably
Old 04-20-2017, 11:28 PM   #11
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
How much of a factor does post position figure into your exotics? 12 of 17 3rd place finishers this century post 8 or inside. While 5 of last 6 4th place finishers post 13 or out.

coincidence?.... probably
Running style is important when looking at post position.

When you are way wide, you lose ground. If the horse is a star he can do what American Pharoah or Big Brown did, and just relax, spot the field several lengths, and run his race.
A top horse can win or hit the board from way out there.
A less than stellar E or E/P is going to be ridden more urgently and still lose the ground.
If a horse is a deep closer, he's worried a lot more about the pace coming back to him, than the post draw.

The 1 and 2 holes are no picnic either. Have to establish tactical position. Can get very tight.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:29 AM   #12
yankeelpn

Quote:
What types of bets do you like to make? Do you play for the WIN bet or do you play for a big payout?

Although ill be holding a bunch of tickets my favorite bet is $1 TRI

AB w/ ABCDEFG w/ ABCDEFG

cost 60 bucks.
I cant discount Practical Joke, so $50 pl/$50 show bets on him. The rest Ill figure out later.
yankeelpn is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2017, 07:13 AM   #13
PowerUpPaynter

show bets, huh? In a 20 horse field is it worth it to play for 3 or 4 to 1? Unless your taking a horses that like a 40-1 - im with you tho on Practical Joke hes a gutsy horse and I think his heart and the fight he has in him outweighs the distance limitations his pedigree suggest.

Last edited by PowerUpPaynter; 04-21-2017 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:21 PM   #14
PowerUpPaynter

I think this year more than most the post draw and projecting how the race takes shape early is more important in handicapping it with a lot of horses that are of similar styles, talents, and have the same questions.

Heres to hoping Always Dreaming draws the dreaded 1 post, just so i can fully toss him.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:54 PM   #15
señorclipclop

$1 Super Hi-5 Classic Empire/ALL/ALL/ALL/ALL ($93,024)
señorclipclop is offline   Reply With Quote Reply