Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 10-31-2017, 06:24 PM   #1
lamboguy

Bitcoin Futures

http://www.cmegroup.com/media-room/p...infutures.html

my guess is that company's like Amazon and paypal will start accepting cryptocurrencies for payments soon.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2017, 12:58 AM   #2
davew

nothing like a futures market and the resulting games played to add more volatility to a volatile market - let the swings begin - and no limit moves since cash settled?
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2017, 06:54 AM   #3
Parkview_Pirate

I keep thinking the environmentalists are going to campaign against the crypto-currencies, and the huge amounts of electricity and computing power consumed when mining. I read recently where a new bitcoin was now taking 20 barrels of oil to produce.

Doesn't seem very green.

https://www.buybitcoinworldwide.com/...profitability/

And while any single cryptocurrency is limited in scope by algorithms and block chains (bitcoin caps at 21 million), that doesn't protect you from another cryptocurrency's IPO and becoming popular.

Strikes me as the 21st century's version of tulip bulbs.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2017, 06:30 AM   #4
Parkview_Pirate

More info on bitcoin and energy use, though the title is misleading, taking into account mining costs versus transaction costs for existing bitcoins.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-1...our-house-week

Quote:
While CME’s decision to offer bitcoin futures by the end of the year appears to be an endorsement of the currency’s viability, CEO Terry Duffy demurred when asked whether he’s concerned about a potential bubble. “I’ve seen a lot of different bubbles over the last 37 years,” he said on Bloomberg TV. “It’s not up to me to predict if it’s a bubble or not -- what I’m here to do is to help people manage risk.”
The last line in the article brings a chuckle, and can be applied to many other aspects of life:

Quote:
Unfortunately for the environmentalists, we suspect the Bitcoin horse has bolted and only the dreaded hand of government can rein it back.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2017, 09:13 AM   #5
BaffertsWig

Sold my BTC 4200 about a month ago, was scared of China leaving the market. It hit 7400 last night. Happens every time I sell
BaffertsWig is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2017, 10:01 AM   #6
davew

first day of trading yesterday

opened at 15000 and got to 18000 intraday...
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply