Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Old 12-17-2005, 11:31 PM   #1
banacek

Greg "Boomer" Wry

Anyone know this guy or read the book? - (it is also on ebay)

http://www.boomerhandicapsraces.com/
banacek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2005, 11:46 PM   #2
GameTheory

I think it is brand new. Never heard of him, though, not that I would have...
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2005, 11:53 PM   #3
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Veteran track announcer? I wonder where?

I found bio - Yavapai.

Last edited by BillW; 12-17-2005 at 11:56 PM.
BillW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2005, 12:04 AM   #4
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Small World - I met him in Aug 2003 when I still lived in AZ. At that time he was the track announcer at Yavapai Downs near Prescott, AZ. Our conversation, which was centered around a DQ at DMR that neither one of us thought should have been made, distracted me long enough so that I missed making a bet on a $19.00 horse that I had driven across town to play.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...t=crash+mcgoon

-jp
Old 12-18-2005, 12:08 AM   #5
Figman

• "From Del Mar to Albuquerque, Greg ("Boomer") is one of the most knowledgeable handicappers I have ever met. When not picking winners, he tells the kinds of stories that all true race trackers can appreciate." Ken Davis, Quality Assurance Manager, Daily Racing Form

I think this fellow from the Daily Racing Form writing his approval must be a friend of our #1 man - TOM. What say Tom? You must have dealt with the "quality assurance manager at the DRF!"
Figman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2005, 12:30 AM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figman
• "From Del Mar to Albuquerque, Greg ("Boomer") is one of the most knowledgeable handicappers I have ever met. When not picking winners, he tells the kinds of stories that all true race trackers can appreciate." Ken Davis, Quality Assurance Manager, Daily Racing Form

I think this fellow from the Daily Racing Form writing his approval must be a friend of our #1 man - TOM. What say Tom? You must have dealt with the "quality assurance manager at the DRF!"
No, but now that I know who he is, we will surely "talk" soon, one quality assurance manager to another.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:39 AM   #7
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figman
Funny, I had the same thought.
BillW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2005, 11:33 PM   #8
dav4463

Really small world ! The "racetrack fan" Joe Payne in the video used to liquidate furniture and was a frequent guest at a hotel I used to work at in Dallas !
Old 04-06-2006, 07:19 PM   #9
banacek

I was curious if anyone has read this book yet.
banacek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-06-2006, 10:15 PM   #10
aaron

I read the book and got the video.It was okay for a beginner.I think what he is trying to do is to sell his handicapping course.I spoke to him and he seems knowledgeable,but if your a seasoned player,I would not recommend the book.
aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2006, 11:17 AM   #11
Koko
Accident Theory History

Here's what I know about him. From about 2001 to 2003 I'd play cards with him at a local card room where he was a prop. player making $12 an hour + whatever he could win (he also got medical ins. out of the deal). He would prop about 6 months of the year and announce at various tracks the other 6 months.

They call him "Boomer" for a very good reason. He has a voice that really projects. He talks a lot, is pretty funny and acts right at the table. Great storyteller. He is a guy who's at least fairly astute in terms of speculation.

It's not hard to believe that he's an active bettor. As far as his handicapping abilities specifically I couldn't say anything else of significance.
Koko is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2006, 07:18 PM   #12
Wickel

I don't know where Wry actually got his start, but he was the regular announcer at San Juan Downs (now Sun Ray) in Farmington, N.M., for years, then he make his way to The Downs at Albuquerque for its spring meet. In the fall--after Yavapai--he would return to the New Mexico State Fair meet in Albuquerque. Not a bad announcer.
Wickel is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2017, 07:10 AM   #13
CappinForGold

This posting is old, yes. But I wanted to know, just as "banacek" did, if anyone has tried "Boomer" Wry's methods. Unfortunately, LIKE SO MANY POSTS OF THIS NATURE END UP, you wind up reading the most TRIVIAL GARBAGE that takes the ORIGINAL QUESTION or inquiry right off the subject. Many end up like some clique of self-absorbed morons that don't seem to care one iota about the original author's query. Rather, they chime in their two cents about the most inane things, or worse, just mention that they don't really end up knowing anything about the guy or the book. Like in this case, they just "think" it's new. In the end, the original question goes unanswered, and one is left reading only the drivel left by a group of regulars here talking to themselves rather than making even a small attempt to answer the guy creating the post in the first place. "Talking horses since 1999???" HARDLY! Posting such a reply and going against the dogma of the site management may just get me banned here, but truth is f---ing TRUTH, and most can't accept the damned truth anyway. Most of my time on this site is spent wading through just garbage looking for one tiny scrap of meat. And though my post here is just brutal honesty, and nothing more, it's funny that guys like me are at risk of being banned from the site while the nice and polite fertilizer spreaders can just keep spreading their manure and are never at risk, because they've paid the dues to become part of a time-wasting in-crowd that seems bent on typing something...anything...no matter how whimsical or off-the-topic it is.

"Anyone read THIS book?"

"No, but I think I saw the guy at Santa Anita once, and he was chain smoking Winstons."

"No, he didn't smoke Winston's. He was purely a Lucky Strike man."

"Yeah, I remember those great Lucky Strike commercials. With the black eyes! Rather fight than switch."

"I think that guy died of cancer, but it wasn't lung cancer."

"But I just wanted to know if anyone READ THE BOOK?"

"Tom, you saw him at Santa Anita? I think I did too! Maybe the same day. That was many years ago friend! Didn't look like he was having a good day. Ripping up his tickets in disgust."

"Yeah, we've all done that, right?"

"Not me. I save all my losing tickets for the IRS man."

"Cancer, huh? Poor guy. My grandmother died of cancer. Was rough on all of us."

(In the mean time, the original poster has moved on. And for damned good reason. The original poster and his or her question is often disregarded altogether, and the clowns enter the arena simply to talk among themselves. This is cawfee tawk!)

Enjoy the games!
CappinForGold is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2017, 10:29 AM   #14
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Wow. Thanks so much for opening my eyes. It would have sucked going through the rest of my life being so disillusioned. You sir, are the best-poster-ever here.

Now, go start your own board so that you can put me out of my misery once and for all.

Thanks in advance!
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2017, 01:08 PM   #15
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CappinForGold View Post
This posting is old, yes. But I wanted to know, just as "banacek" did, if anyone has tried "Boomer" Wry's methods. Unfortunately, LIKE SO MANY POSTS OF THIS NATURE END UP, you wind up reading the most TRIVIAL GARBAGE that takes the ORIGINAL QUESTION or inquiry right off the subject. Many end up like some clique of self-absorbed morons that don't seem to care one iota about the original author's query. Rather, they chime in their two cents about the most inane things, or worse, just mention that they don't really end up knowing anything about the guy or the book. Like in this case, they just "think" it's new. In the end, the original question goes unanswered, and one is left reading only the drivel left by a group of regulars here talking to themselves rather than making even a small attempt to answer the guy creating the post in the first place. "Talking horses since 1999???" HARDLY! Posting such a reply and going against the dogma of the site management may just get me banned here, but truth is f---ing TRUTH, and most can't accept the damned truth anyway. Most of my time on this site is spent wading through just garbage looking for one tiny scrap of meat. And though my post here is just brutal honesty, and nothing more, it's funny that guys like me are at risk of being banned from the site while the nice and polite fertilizer spreaders can just keep spreading their manure and are never at risk, because they've paid the dues to become part of a time-wasting in-crowd that seems bent on typing something...anything...no matter how whimsical or off-the-topic it is.

"Anyone read THIS book?"

"No, but I think I saw the guy at Santa Anita once, and he was chain smoking Winstons."

"No, he didn't smoke Winston's. He was purely a Lucky Strike man."

"Yeah, I remember those great Lucky Strike commercials. With the black eyes! Rather fight than switch."

"I think that guy died of cancer, but it wasn't lung cancer."

"But I just wanted to know if anyone READ THE BOOK?"

"Tom, you saw him at Santa Anita? I think I did too! Maybe the same day. That was many years ago friend! Didn't look like he was having a good day. Ripping up his tickets in disgust."

"Yeah, we've all done that, right?"

"Not me. I save all my losing tickets for the IRS man."

"Cancer, huh? Poor guy. My grandmother died of cancer. Was rough on all of us."

(In the mean time, the original poster has moved on. And for damned good reason. The original poster and his or her question is often disregarded altogether, and the clowns enter the arena simply to talk among themselves. This is cawfee tawk!)

Enjoy the games!
I think Aaron answered the original question in post #10. In case you missed it...I'll also provide my own answer:

The book is very basic in nature...and it doesn't belong on the bookshelf of the "well-read" player. Nor will it "turn the track into your own personal ATM"...as it claims. I bought the book when it first came out...and followed it to the letter at the betting windows. Alas...I still had to keep my day-job.