Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Old 05-05-2020, 03:09 PM   #4621
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
We can argue that you want an extra 200 million people around the world to starve to death because you are worrying about saving 100,000 lives. Not to mention the massive economic destruction right here at home. There are no "perfect solutions" as you like to say. Obviously social distancing and wearing a face mask limits the spread some (and more importantly it is not that hard to do), but it isn't exactly like we should be doing a victory dance on how well it has worked. We are going to hit the high end of the projected deaths despite the lockdown (do not forget we just recently hit the top of the curve and will have another 50,000 deaths at least on the way down the curve-that is with a lockdown). Now that we are opening up a bit more that figure will go up some. It is not because people are disobeying face mask laws and social distancing, it is because that combo only limits the spread.

Dr Fauci has said himself, he only lays out the best plans but it is up to the decision makers to take his advice and formulate a plan. It is not his job to weigh in on economic factors and everything else. It is our governments job to balance the cost of opening up (extra deaths) with the cost of staying shut down (financial devastation for most). Government is going to take the approach they will take.When it looked like they were headed the wrong direction, people got outraged and protested. At this point they seem to be headed towards slowly opening up. It is up to people to be responsible and take social distancing seriously and honestly people should probably wear face masks in public venues. If it makes others more comfortable and feel safer it is not that big of a sacrifice. The first 2 times I wore a face mask at work I couldn't breathe, now it is just a little nasty but very tolerable. Breathing is no longer an issue.

Bottom line is the world cannot function in lockdown mode and the economic hardship and financial devastation felt here and around the world would far outweigh the death toll of this virus. Hardly comforting if it is you or a loved on that falls victim to this virus, but remember almost everyone falls victim to a lockdown. As Tucker said pick your poison. I do think it is clearly time to shift focus from a lockdown to figuring out the best approaches of protecting the vulnerable (as mentioned in a prior post).

The bottom line this is a tragedy. To anyone who has loved ones affected, my heart goes out. I don't think anyone seriously thought anything like this would ever come into our lives. It is an eye opener. That being said, it is really important that we don't exacerbate the situation we are in. No matter what we do the results will be tragic. We just have to find the best solutions. No matter what we do there is going to be plenty of room for finger pointing and truth is you never truly know what would have happened if you did things differently. Government has to treat us like adults and trust us to act responsibly and in turn we need to act like adults and act responsibly. Anything short of that will lead to a disastrous outcome.
Exactly right. Government is about governing and not micromanaging. I don't like helicopter moms any more than I like helicopter govt. The risk from those who want a lockdown to last longer is that respect for govt is breaking down and we run the real risk of anarchy in some areas. Once respect for authority erodes it cannot easily be put back in control. Some may think that's crazy talk but the seeds are there. Gunmen on the capitol steps in Michigan trying to take back control of their lives? It will never happen in my lifetime. … oops!!!
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2020, 03:10 PM   #4622
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
BTW...more than 36% of the deaths in the USA occurred in NY, despite NY having only 15% of the total confirmed cases nationwide.

I hold Andrew Cuomo personally responsible.

What a piss-poor job he did preparing the state for such a likely scenario. How could anybody heap praise upon this governor with numbers like the above?
Well, he did use fewer ventilators than he thought he'd need, so there's that. It's all about expectations.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2020, 03:42 PM   #4623
RunForTheRoses

Interesting History

https://www.aier.org/article/woodsto...of-a-pandemic/

In my lifetime, there was another deadly flu epidemic in the United States. The flu spread from Hong Kong to the United States, arriving December 1968 and peaking a year later. It ultimately killed 100,000 people in the U.S., mostly over the age of 65, and one million worldwide.
Lifespan in the US in those days was 70 whereas it is 78 today. Population was 200 million as compared with 328 million today. It was also a healthier population with low obesity. If it would be possible to extrapolate the death data based on population and demographics, we might be looking at a quarter million deaths today from this virus. So in terms of lethality, it was as deadly and scary as COVID-19 if not more so, though we shall have to wait to see.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2020, 03:49 PM   #4624
RunForTheRoses

More Forgotten History

https://www.aier.org/article/elvis-w...in-a-pandemic/

Also that year, the so-called Asian Flu killed 116,000 Americans. Here is the full summary from the Centers for Disease Control:
In February 1957, a new influenza A (H2N2) virus emerged in East Asia, triggering a pandemic (“Asian Flu”). This H2N2 virus was comprised of three different genes from an H2N2 virus that originated from an avian influenza A virus, including the H2 hemagglutinin and the N2 neuraminidase genes. It was first reported in Singapore in February 1957, Hong Kong in April 1957, and in coastal cities in the United States in summer 1957. The estimated number of deaths was 1.1 million worldwide and 116,000 in the United States.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2020, 04:26 PM   #4625
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses View Post
https://www.aier.org/article/elvis-w...in-a-pandemic/

Also that year, the so-called Asian Flu killed 116,000 Americans. Here is the full summary from the Centers for Disease Control:
In February 1957, a new influenza A (H2N2) virus emerged in East Asia, triggering a pandemic (“Asian Flu”). This H2N2 virus was comprised of three different genes from an H2N2 virus that originated from an avian influenza A virus, including the H2 hemagglutinin and the N2 neuraminidase genes. It was first reported in Singapore in February 1957, Hong Kong in April 1957, and in coastal cities in the United States in summer 1957. The estimated number of deaths was 1.1 million worldwide and 116,000 in the United States.
We now have a vaccine for influenza.

There is none for CoVId

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2020, 04:53 PM   #4626
Ocala Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post

There is none for CoVId

Allan
I remember the Asian flu quite well, as I caught it sometime in October, 1957 when I was 15 and it caused me to miss a Knicks doubleheader at MSG (the old MSG) - expensive tickets, too.

As for current flu vaccines, they are not terribly effective. Novavax is hoping to get Nanoflu on the market before next season which is supposedly a super effective vaccine, especially for seniors. They are also starting human trials soon on a COVID-19 vaccine and have a possibly superior candidate, using virus-like particles, not mRNA.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2020, 05:36 PM   #4627
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post

There is none for CoVId

Allan
And yet, you would think there would be more worldwide deaths by now...wouldn't you? I mean, this is a MONSTER KILLING DEATH MACHINE of a virus...with NO VACCINE....

It's already been pretty much proven lockdowns don't work all that well...all these antibody tests are showing how many more people have acquired the virus then ever thought previously...

There will come a point when all these facts start to sink into the brains of the masses....even your brain....eventually...
Old 05-05-2020, 05:40 PM   #4628
fast4522

Quote:
BTW...more than 36% of the deaths in the USA occurred in NY, despite NY having only 15% of the total confirmed cases nationwide.

What a piss-poor job he did preparing the state for such a likely scenario. How could anybody heap praise upon this governor with numbers like the above?
I do too, that anus faced jerk should be required to wear a mask even when the virus is gone. He would not have put Covid19 people in a nursing home if his mother was there. He has less than 10% of the class and intelligence his father had. You all fell free to add to that if desired.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2020, 05:52 PM   #4629
Greyfox

Dang. A new more contagious MUTATION of COVID-19 is now appearing on the scene.
Lethality - not certain.

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/mutant-cor...110046843.html
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2020, 06:04 PM   #4630
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Dang. A new more contagious MUTATION of COVID-19 is now appearing on the scene.
Lethality - not certain.

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/mutant-cor...110046843.html
New?

Quote:
The new strain appeared in February in Europe, migrated quickly to the East Coast of the United States and has been the dominant strain across the world since mid-March, the scientists wrote.
How can it be new, exactly, if it's been around since basically the start of the epidemic?

Are they trying to tell us COVID-19 has been circulating for even LONGER than the recent articles (which suggest around November-December) are stating?

Sounds like it...
Old 05-05-2020, 07:34 PM   #4631
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:

In March, Coumo ordered retirement homes to take back 1700 patient KNOWN to have Covid and transferred out.

Despite being warned by MANY doctors and experts NOT to it

MAssMurder - nothing short of it.

BUT, Trump is the moron?
And, this is UPCHUCK SCHUMER'S state...the BIG IDIOT who wants to hold hearings.

Accomplice at the least.

When Senate hearings start next week, I hope THIS gets looked at REALLY hard by the repubs.

And the DOJ.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:49 PM   #4632
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
He has less than 10% of the class and intelligence his father had. You all fell free to add to that if desired.
You are being very generous.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2020, 11:23 PM   #4633
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
You are being very generous.
Well it depends on how you look at it. More Governors become Presidents than any other political office. When you look at the Presidency in making decisions it sometimes is debatable about the decision and that some that are made and people die. But it is also true had the choice been made to the alternative and people die with what is decided too. Maybe it is why a President's hair grey's so fast. So this governor is a moron of epic proportions causing death to seniors who everyone should revere and he by introducing a deadly virus to those in the twilight of life kills and has the gall to be on television every day. What a piece of shit that many people think is upstanding and honorable.

Last edited by fast4522; 05-05-2020 at 11:25 PM.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2020, 11:33 PM   #4634
TJDave

Quote:
And yet, you would think there would be more worldwide deaths by now...wouldn't you? I mean, this is a MONSTER KILLING DEATH MACHINE of a virus...with NO VACCINE....

It's already been pretty much proven lockdowns don't work all that well...all these antibody tests are showing how many more people have acquired the virus then ever thought previously...

There will come a point when all these facts start to sink into the brains of the masses....even your brain....eventually...
I’m not so sure of any of this. I’d prefer to wait until all the facts are in.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:00 AM   #4635
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike View Post
I remember the Asian flu quite well, as I caught it sometime in October, 1957 when I was 15 and it caused me to miss a Knicks doubleheader at MSG (the old MSG) - expensive tickets, too.
I missed 10 days of school and recall I was as sick as I can ever remember being...At one point fully 40% of my school reported being out with the flu