Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Old 03-20-2022, 03:25 PM   #1
Left21

Arthur Stanley ''More Horse Power''

Has anybody purchased, won with or has any thoughts
or ideas about Arthur Stanleys book "More Horse Power"?.
Or if any of the products he has are good or not?
Is there a book you can buy that has a good system
for horse racing? Any feedback is welcome.
Thank you to all in advance.
Left21 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2022, 04:10 PM   #2
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

Never used that one, but his THE FORMULA STRATEGY wasn’t good at all!
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2022, 01:45 PM   #3
lefty359

Never found a system that works. If you're a beginner I'd suggest Pace Makes The Race by Sartin and Handicapping Magic By Pizzolla.
lefty359 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2022, 11:38 PM   #4
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

I've seen a few methods by Arthur Stanley...not anything to write home to mama about.

Some of that Sartin stuff may be beyond a newbie's realm. My own opinion, for someone just getting in the game, is Tom Ainslie's GUIDE TO THOROUGHBRED RACING.

Ainslie covers darn near everything a new player (and even veterans can get good info here). Written in an easy-folksy style- pages on pace, condition, speed, and includes 60 betting tips. There's even a section to make your own handicapping system.

I saw a used copy on Amazon for appx $5...the best five bucks a newcomer will ever spend on horse racing tools.
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2022, 09:28 AM   #5
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left21 View Post
Has anybody purchased, won with or has any thoughts
or ideas about Arthur Stanleys book "More Horse Power"?.
Or if any of the products he has are good or not?
Is there a book you can buy that has a good system
for horse racing? Any feedback is welcome.
Thank you to all in advance.
Like what I said in a previous thread:

I think they all would be suitable for finding a winner but then again it depends on how you use it and how much effort you are willing to put into it

Just because I buy a system that promises winners galore doesn't mean "Omg this is going to change everything I see on handicapping" you will have to play around with it and change the steps so that it can improve your win %

It's the same thing with past performances/tipsheets/handicapping data/software etc you should be testing and trying it out before you throw it in the trash with again changing the steps to improve your win %

Hope that makes sense
Old 03-24-2022, 04:33 PM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg View Post
I've seen a few methods by Arthur Stanley...not anything to write home to mama about.

Some of that Sartin stuff may be beyond a newbie's realm. My own opinion, for someone just getting in the game, is Tom Ainslie's GUIDE TO THOROUGHBRED RACING.

Ainslie covers darn near everything a new player (and even veterans can get good info here). Written in an easy-folksy style- pages on pace, condition, speed, and includes 60 betting tips. There's even a section to make your own handicapping system.

I saw a used copy on Amazon for appx $5...the best five bucks a newcomer will ever spend on horse racing tools.
That is really outdated on a lot of things. Some good info, but I'd recommend this instead, and not because I work for DRF:

https://www.amazon.com/Handicapping-.../dp/B004J27WAQ
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2022, 09:14 PM   #7
BettinBilly
Educated Speculation

I agree with @CJ. Brad Free's "Handicapping 101" is a winner for me. I have it both in hardcover and Kindle formats.

I personallly do not like and can't tolerate any book that reads like a text book that you were required to read in college. Many handicapping books do read like a collegiate text book to me, and I can't get through a chapter without falling asleep or becoming bored out of my mind. To me, Free's book is more of a "Mentor-Mode" book and reads like someone is trying to teach you something around a campfire, rather than by filling your head with thousands of back-story building blocks in a classroom setting so they can give you a test later and see if you absorbed enough to pass.

My favorite Introductory to Intermediate handicapping book (and yes, I get a lot of flack for saying this) is "Betting on Horse Racing for Dummies". I know, the title suggests that it's not worth cracking the cover, but the author is Richard Eng (former Turf Editor and Handicapper for the Las Vegas Review-Journal) and it's an interesting and slightly entertaining journey into handicapping. I wish I had read it when I first started.

LINK to Amazon

Last edited by BettinBilly; 04-02-2022 at 09:18 PM.
BettinBilly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2022, 06:30 PM   #8
CheckMark

Was doing some spring cleaning this weekend and found a few books by the company that sells the Arthur Stanley books

The Energex method: Wasn't great at all; the method inside I already have from Rpm already lol but shows "countless winners and charts" so you can believe that this works not TRASH

Quinella Crusher: Not a bad book under 20 pages but it explained well how to play the Quinella with historical results GOOD

All Rhythm: Very confusing method didn't even bother trying as it was very hard to understand how the author is wanting you to use the method TRASH

Two Winning Systems For Horse Racing & Dice:
Just like 'All Rhythm' was very confusing and probably wouldn't work TRASH

The magic Box: 56 pages and the book was ok with what the author was trying to tell you; Would actually try this method out though GOOD

Insiders Strategy: 6 pages in total but the systems actually are explained well
GOOD

I have 1 more book called "Quantum" but did not find it

The Quinella Crusher and Insiders Strategy were the only books I considered keeping the others I just gave away