Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-29-2009, 04:27 PM   #31
Pace Cap'n

I'm betting they just want to keep out the riff-raff.
Pace Cap'n is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-29-2009, 07:12 PM   #32
WinterTriangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cangamble
I don't think you are in tune with the average gambler's psyche. And either is Churchill Downs.
There's been a few topics on other boards with racing and horse enthusiasts over the years, long topics. You'd be very surprised, I guess, to know just how many people follow racing, go to tracks, and *don't* gamble.

The whole "the track is for gamblers", if anything, is precisely what keeps families away and more spectators and enthusiasts for the sport, IMHO.

Live racing should be considered a wonderful spectator sport, like any other sport, a chance to get outside, see some sights, have some good concession food like Oaklawn's fantastic corned beef sandwiches with a cold beer in a plastic cup. Hot dogs for the kids, show em the horses in the paddock (I watched families do this all the time, less than I'd like to see though).

Gamblers can stay home and wager at home, or go to the OTB. Live racing is about the sights, the sounds, and yes, wagering too, but 30,000 people at Oaklawn on Saturdays aren't all gambling, I can guarantee that.

Friends of mine just got back from New Zealand, went to many races there. It's like a festival/picnic atmoshpere. Families, children, picnic tables, fish n chips, people put blankets on the ground and lawn chairs and spend the whole day.

Last edited by WinterTriangle; 04-29-2009 at 07:17 PM. Reason: add
WinterTriangle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-29-2009, 07:44 PM   #33
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pace Cap'n
Managing the door............
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-29-2009, 09:11 PM   #34
fmolf

Quote:
riff raff is what makes the track a fun place between races!
fmolf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2009, 08:44 AM   #35
philcski
Veteran

Get a KEEP card. Think they were $15 this year. Free admission to all KY tracks (excluding Oaks/Derby, of course.)
philcski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2009, 09:16 AM   #36
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

Quote:
I knew they didn't like me!

I sent CD an email, two days ago, when this thread started, asking them about the $10 admission policy. No response. I guess it's the riff-raff thing. On the other hand, it's Yum-Yum Derby Week and the folks at CD have bigger fish to fry. At the same time there are several tracks that would've responded had I emailed them about their admission-charge policies: Keeneland, Tampa and Del Mar all come to mind. In a way it's disappointing because the last time that I went to CD, I called a few days before and there was a packet waiting for me at "will call" with reserved seats, etc. and that left me with a positive impression about the track.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:54 AM   #37
pic6vic

Admission charges

Check out Santa Anita. They had free Fridays. See how many more showed up on Friday than on a Weds or Thurs. I believe the last Fridat they hadover 9000. On Thurs they had 4000. Firdays averaged over 6500.

Admission does matter. They also did not charge for parking.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:21 AM   #38
Tampa Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmolf
riff raff is what makes the track a fun place between races!
All I can say is that I made my first trip in many years to Pimlico last Saturday. I was happy they charged 3 bucks to get in, and a couple of bucks to park in the preferred lot.
Tampa Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply