Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 10-08-2022, 10:49 AM   #1
MargieRose

Inserting Politics Into 'Payment Processors'

Beware...big PAYPAL is watching!

New PayPal Policy Lets Company Pull $2,500 From Users’ Accounts If They Promote ‘Misinformation’

Quote:
A new policy update from PayPal will permit the firm to sanction users who advance purported “misinformation” or present risks to user “wellbeing.”

The financial services company, which has repeatedly deplatformed organizations and individual commentators for their political views, will expand its “existing list of prohibited activities” on November 3. Among the changes are prohibitions on “the sending, posting, or publication of any messages, content, or materials” that “promote misinformation” or “present a risk to user safety or wellbeing.” Users are also barred from “the promotion of hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory.”
Quote:
Deliberations will be made at the “sole discretion” of PayPal and may subject the user to “damages” — including the removal of $2,500 “debited directly from your PayPal account.”
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-08-2022, 10:57 AM   #2
MargieRose

More...

How trans activist trolls got me deplatformed by PayPal and Etsy

Quote:
As an evolutionary biologist and writer, I have calmly argued the (apparently controversial) position for years that biological sex is real, there are only two sexes, and the differences between males and females sometimes matter.

I do this for a living on Substack, where I run the successful online magazine “Reality’s Last Stand.” This line of work gives me enormous freedom, but it also makes me exceptionally vulnerable to the political whims of the payment processors, like Stripe and PayPal, which I rely on to transact with my supporters.

Now activists, who insist that biological sex is nothing more than a transphobic mirage, are trying to silence me by going after the very payment processors I rely on.
Quote:
Last April, I received an out-of-the-blue email from PayPal, which I used to receive donations from my supporters, saying, “You can no longer do business with PayPal.” It went on to say that, “After a review, we decided to permanently limit your account as there was a change to your business model or your business was considered risky.” It added that my funds were being withheld for up to 180 days.
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-08-2022, 11:09 AM   #3
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargieRose View Post
Quote:
Deliberations will be made at the “sole discretion” of PayPal and may subject the user to “damages” — including the removal of $2,500 “debited directly from your PayPal account.”

This is nothing short of theft. If this occurs and PayPal is not prosecuted, it is a clear violation of the 1st amendment. It's a "Mad Mad Mad Mad World".
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-08-2022, 12:21 PM   #4
Inner Dirt

Damn Margie, and I just flushed another Paypal user agreement this morning before reading it, for the umpteenth time. Are you saying I should read the damn things? I don't use Paypal a lot, I pay my Visible cell/internet bill with it
and occasionally take deposits from new customers for machine shop work through there.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-08-2022, 01:20 PM   #5
Stevecsd2

There was also a report on Tucker Carlson that Visa will now be tracking gun and ammunition purchases as a separate category. They hadn't been doing that before. If you need to buy ammo or guns use cash.
Stevecsd2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-08-2022, 02:31 PM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Ending Pay Pal account today.

As far as guns and ammo goes, best to get them off the street or steal them.
Old 10-08-2022, 07:12 PM   #7
garyscpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevecsd2 View Post
There was also a report on Tucker Carlson that Visa will now be tracking gun and ammunition purchases as a separate category. They hadn't been doing that before. If you need to buy ammo or guns use cash.
At least they'll know who shot them when they take the money out of their account.
garyscpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-08-2022, 07:25 PM   #8
Cuffdaddy

PayPal comes to their senses:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20221008-162622_Chrome.jpg (238.7 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Cuffdaddy; 10-08-2022 at 07:27 PM.
Cuffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2022, 06:53 AM   #9
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffdaddy View Post
How could they not reverse course. Their plan was illegal. The bigger question is how did this obviously flawed policy get enacted in the first place. I’ve been in boardrooms and the one thing that can kill a company is a monolith of thought. This is an idea a junior manager would present and get it squashed like a bug on the windshield in a nanosecond. The CEO, CFO, chief legal counsel, the head of marketing, and the head of communications should all have disagreed with this policy.

As a small example, I remember a verbal proposal by the CEO back in 2009 to reduce the salaries of all employees by 20% in lieu of laying off a number of people. Half the room agreed with this. The rest of us made several good points in opposition. One, don’t be scared of getting rid of dead weight. Many on the layoff list were bad hires. Lay them off and correct the mistake when times get better. Two, if you pay your best employees 20% less, many will be picked off by rivals. Needless to say, the answer was obvious. Paypal needs dissenting voices in the boardroom because this policy screams bad decision making. Too many yes men and like minded people in the room.

If I owned Paypal I’d sell it. It’s broken on the inside.

Last edited by tucker6; 10-09-2022 at 06:56 AM.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2022, 07:46 AM   #10
BIG RED
Son O'War

Sounded like it may have been a trial balloon?
Old 10-09-2022, 11:00 AM   #11
xtb

Quote:

The damage is done, they've showed their true colors. Eff 'em.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2022, 11:08 AM   #12
dlivery

There's Visa MC

Seeking to have the Merch fee recovered through charge back fee to customer?
dlivery is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2022, 11:31 AM   #13
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Too late. I have no confidence in anyone running that place, I will never do business with them again.

They are canclled in my book.

F 'em
Old 10-09-2022, 11:55 AM   #14
Inner Dirt

I actually had a friend get into a Paypal skirmish over a used Corvette fuel injection system parts he bought. Do note this is a guy that would back in the day go back inside and complain his 49 cent drive thru burritos did not have enough cheese on them. He actually was using my garage to restore his Corvette. He paid $600 and what he received was worth what he paid, but the Ebay photos were misleading, just to the point where some scuffing on some stainless steel parts weren't shown, pictures were all taken from the good side.

He first wanted to return them for a refund, but looking them over I said they could be fixed, I would show him how to do it and he could use my shop. He said he wanted me to write him an estimate for repair on my business stationary for $300. Honestly if you dropped that off at a metal finishing shop
they would have charged $100-$150, but heck the SOB selling it tried to sneak one by.

My friend is insistent on keeping it and getting $300 to have it repaired. The guy says either return it and he will pay shipping or he will give him $100 back to keep it, making the final price $500. Friend makes no counter offer and gets E-bay and Paypal involved.

E-bay and Paypal hear both sides, end result they sent my friend the full $600 they took from the seller. Of course friend quickly cancels his Paypal account and makes a new E-bay account. I show him how to fix his free fuel injection system parts, they end up looking as good as new.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2022, 02:02 PM   #15
Cuffdaddy

The fact that PayPal would even think of instituting this nonsense is very telling.

I

^^Those above have made that point clear^^

Last edited by Cuffdaddy; 10-09-2022 at 02:04 PM.
Cuffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply