Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-31-2021, 12:12 PM   #181
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post
NHC looks to be in a tough spot. I was planning on driving and taking a long vacation and seeing some states I've never seen. My travel distance/miles about the same as Vic. This is my rookie contest so I've been really looking forward to it
Started playing in these tournaments more seriously in the last couple years. Last year was my first. Got there, got settled, and around midnight the night before it started got a call that a family member went to emergency and it wasn't really serious. Couldn't live with myself if I stayed and played if things got worse so withdrew and drove home. I didn't think at all about asking for a waiver and that wasn't my priority. So this year comes and I got two entries and here comes the mask mandate. Couldn't handle the restricted breathing so I asked and got a waiver to next year.

I hope you have a good time and finish high up. Remember, half the field has the ability to win so it's about getting hot at the right time along with being a contrarian. Taking too short a price gets you nowhere IMO. Good luck
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2021, 02:03 PM   #182
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
Started playing in these tournaments more seriously in the last couple years. Last year was my first. Got there, got settled, and around midnight the night before it started got a call that a family member went to emergency and it wasn't really serious. Couldn't live with myself if I stayed and played if things got worse so withdrew and drove home. I didn't think at all about asking for a waiver and that wasn't my priority. So this year comes and I got two entries and here comes the mask mandate. Couldn't handle the restricted breathing so I asked and got a waiver to next year.

I hope you have a good time and finish high up. Remember, half the field has the ability to win so it's about getting hot at the right time along with being a contrarian. Taking too short a price gets you nowhere IMO. Good luck
In previous years Treasure Island would post odds on several different players. If memory serves the shortest price guys would be 60 to 75-1. You couldn't bet very much or they would lower it. One year I bought a couple hundred bucks worth of $5.00 bets on myself to give away. Hey Karma is King. I think I started at 125 or 150-1 but could only get $30.00 at that number. Then it went down from there. Roger Stein used to talk about the Golden Rule in Vegas. No gambling allowed.

Does anybody know if Bally's is putting out a similar sheet on this year's Tourney?

Love to see what the odds makers think.

I probably belong in the FIELD. 2111
Old 07-31-2021, 06:13 PM   #183
cato
Irrationally exuberant

Hey, VIC, speaking of the NHC - if you can get past everything else and are concerned about being cooped up in a smaller plane from HSprings to Dallas, just drive to Dallas (and open the windows every 10 minutes or so!).

I just got back from a trip to Portland Or and I was pretty happy with the air travel (everyone wearing a mask and behaving) and hotel (no or limited maid service - so very little contact unless you create it yourself).

I'll probably do all handicapping and last minute adjustments in my room and then come down to bet, say howdy here and there and then head back to room, etc.

So I think it works but you gotta be pretty disciplined and lucky (also a recipe for NHC success)
cato is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2021, 02:34 PM   #184
Afleet

Quote:

sorry about that-thats bad luck
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2021, 02:37 PM   #185
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
In previous years Treasure Island would post odds on several different players. If memory serves the shortest price guys would be 60 to 75-1. You couldn't bet very much or they would lower it. One year I bought a couple hundred bucks worth of $5.00 bets on myself to give away. Hey Karma is King. I think I started at 125 or 150-1 but could only get $30.00 at that number. Then it went down from there. Roger Stein used to talk about the Golden Rule in Vegas. No gambling allowed.

Does anybody know if Bally's is putting out a similar sheet on this year's Tourney?

Love to see what the odds makers think.

I probably belong in the FIELD. 2111
my odds to win will be Giacomo squared
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2021, 09:40 AM   #186
ubercapper

I'm going, as I have the past many years, to help with the Equibase/Stats Race Lens booth/table. If I have to wear a mask all day I will because being there and interacting with people is my job. At least it will be this time, as I qualified for the 2022 NHC and so that will be a different job in five months.

Interacting with people is also something I enjoy doing and doing so with mask on is not a big deal.

I understand its no fun as I've worn one for hours on end in the local contests Keeneland holds at the Red Mile many weeks during the year and it was nice to have that come to an end recently. If it comes back, it comes back because personally I feel the opportunity is has more value than the temporary discomfort.

Most importantly, feel free to come by our table and say hi when you're there. I understand there will be a drawing for a 2022 NHC seat for the highest placed Stats Race Lens customer, with sign-ups through the first tournament race on Friday so please come by the table, sign up, and take a shot.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2021, 03:05 PM   #187
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubercapper View Post
I'm going, as I have the past many years, to help with the Equibase/Stats Race Lens booth/table. If I have to wear a mask all day I will because being there and interacting with people is my job. At least it will be this time, as I qualified for the 2022 NHC and so that will be a different job in five months.

Interacting with people is also something I enjoy doing and doing so with mask on is not a big deal.

I understand its no fun as I've worn one for hours on end in the local contests Keeneland holds at the Red Mile many weeks during the year and it was nice to have that come to an end recently. If it comes back, it comes back because personally I feel the opportunity is has more value than the temporary discomfort.

Most importantly, feel free to come by our table and say hi when you're there. I understand there will be a drawing for a 2022 NHC seat for the highest placed Stats Race Lens customer, with sign-ups through the first tournament race on Friday so please come by the table, sign up, and take a shot.
I requested and received a waiver to transfer my NHC entry to Jan 28-30 2022.

It really bums me out that I have to miss the August contest.

I was really looking forward to seeing old neighbors and playing both Del Mar and Saratoga as part of the tournament.

For me this has nothing to do with mask wearing for a long period. That's still part of my day to day life. Still wear them all the time.

My much bigger concern is the travel. Two planes, one an eight seater, the other completely full. Then rental car shuttles, counters, hotel front desks. Also the close proximity of the contest room.

This Delta Variant IMO is a total game changer. People are getting infected that are vaccinated. My friends Dr. Roper and Miller say even double masks are ineffective.

I want to live my life. I don't wish to live in fear. But why ask experts if I'm not going to take their advice?

HATE the call I had to make. But I made it.
Old 08-24-2021, 04:08 PM   #188
Andy Asaro

Old 08-25-2021, 02:16 PM   #189
Andy Asaro

https://www.drf.com/news/after-delay...kes-its-return

Excerpt:

Delayed nearly seven months because of the coronavirus pandemic, the 2021 National Horseplayers Championship is scheduled to get underway on Friday at Bally’s Event Center in Las Vegas, Nev., with a field of 450 qualifiers and a total of $2 million in purses.

With COVID cases surging again in most parts of the country, 75 qualifiers for the event have been granted exemptions allowing them to transfer their qualifications to next year’s tournament, scheduled for Jan. 28-30. As a result, the National Thoroughbred Racing Association has also transferred $350,000 in prize money to next year’s tournament, as a concession to the fees generated by the qualifiers and the fact that next year’s tourney will have an overflow field.

“We felt it was only fair that next year’s tournament gets those additional dollars,” said Keith Chamblin, the NHC tournament director at the NTRA.
Old 08-25-2021, 04:39 PM   #190
v j stauffer

Quote:
https://www.drf.com/news/after-delay...kes-its-return

Excerpt:

Delayed nearly seven months because of the coronavirus pandemic, the 2021 National Horseplayers Championship is scheduled to get underway on Friday at Bally’s Event Center in Las Vegas, Nev., with a field of 450 qualifiers and a total of $2 million in purses.

With COVID cases surging again in most parts of the country, 75 qualifiers for the event have been granted exemptions allowing them to transfer their qualifications to next year’s tournament, scheduled for Jan. 28-30. As a result, the National Thoroughbred Racing Association has also transferred $350,000 in prize money to next year’s tournament, as a concession to the fees generated by the qualifiers and the fact that next year’s tourney will have an overflow field.

“We felt it was only fair that next year’s tournament gets those additional dollars,” said Keith Chamblin, the NHC tournament director at the NTRA.
So very bummed out about not being there this weekend. I was really looking forward to playing tracks which had never before been part of the NHC. Oh well, it's my choice and I decided to err on the side of safety.

Looking forward to it being safe enough to come in late January.

Good luck to everyone trying to take down the top prize this weekend.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: