Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 03-31-2017, 03:26 PM   #46
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayjf View Post
Was having a hard time getting my car to pass smog in CA, so I got a ticket. When I showed up in Orange County court., I arrived in my assigned court room, I believe they have about 4 court rooms that handles traffic violations. There were about 200 people in the room. Before any cases were heard, the bailiff came out and divided the room into 4 sections. No drivers license or insurance first offense, no drivers license or insurance second offense, no drivers license or insurance third offense, no drivers license or insurance fourth offense. Each with its own Spanish interrupter. My case didn't get heard that day, so I came back the following day and the same thing happened - the court was again divided into 4 sections for the same offenses I listed above. I asked one of the Police officers in the court and he said its the same everyday.

My car was hit by an three times in CA, one was a hit and run the other two did not have insurance. Learned my lesson, do not drive in CA without uninsured motorist coverage.
most states it's law that you have to have uninsured motorist coverage.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2017, 04:59 PM   #47
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
most states it's law that you have to have uninsured motorist coverage.
So a government mandate on the insurance market. I feel like I've heard that topic discussed in a negative way here in the past. Maybe I'm wrong...

In California, if you buy liability insurance you must be offered u/m coverage and sign a waiver to either decline it or accept it with lower limits than your liability coverage. That part only covers bodily injury to you or a passenger in your car.

The u/m property damage limit is capped at $3500 so if you aren't driving a beater, you better carry collision.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2017, 05:21 PM   #48
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______ View Post
So a government mandate on the insurance market. I feel like I've heard that topic discussed in a negative way here in the past. Maybe I'm wrong...

In California, if you buy liability insurance you must be offered u/m coverage and sign a waiver to either decline it or accept it with lower limits than your liability coverage. That part only covers bodily injury to you or a passenger in your car.

The u/m property damage limit is capped at $3500 so if you aren't driving a beater, you better carry collision.
There are numerous reasons for uninsured motorist coverage. and every state has their own requirements especially on amount of coverage. Most are 30K UM coverage.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:21 PM   #49
Clocker

Quote:
A number of people here tried to use the auto insurance requirement to justify the individual mandate, saying the two things were identical.

The difference is that the courts have ruled that driving on public roads is a privilege, not a right, and that the government can regulate the use of its roads. Auto insurance is a condition of using the public roads. Under the ACA, health insurance is a condition of living in this country.

The other difference is that mandatory auto insurance is to cover other people. Coverage of your car is still usually optional.

Last edited by Clocker; 03-31-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Clocker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2017, 06:04 PM   #50
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
A number of people here tried to use the auto insurance requirement to justify the individual mandate, saying the two things were identical.

The difference is that the courts have ruled that driving on public roads is a privilege, not a right, and that the government can regulate the use of its roads. Auto insurance is a condition of using the public roads. Under the ACA, health insurance is a condition of living in this country.

The other difference is that mandatory auto insurance is to cover other people. Coverage of your car is still usually optional.
Your first point is dead on. No argument from me.

What Chad is talking about (u/m coverage) is, in fact, first party coverage. It covers your damages from an uninsured motorist.

I personally think he's mistaken about it being mandatory anywhere but I don't know the laws of every state so am open to being surprised. If it WERE mandatory somewhere then it would be an analog to required medical insurance.

But it's not required in California so I suspect I'm right about it not being required anywhere.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:12 PM   #51
Clocker

Quote:

What Chad is talking about (u/m coverage) is, in fact, first party coverage. It covers your damages from an uninsured motorist.

I personally think he's mistaken about it being mandatory anywhere but I don't know the laws of every state so am open to being surprised. If it WERE mandatory somewhere then it would be an analog to required medical insurance.

But it's not required in California so I suspect I'm right about it not being required anywhere.
Yes, I was just talking about the fallacy of comparing mandatory liability and mandatory health insurance.

I was not aware of mandatory u/m coverage either, but decided to double check. It turns out that 22 states and DC require it, and many of those have mandatory under-insured coverage also. And it really seems odd that California, the ultimate Big Brother state, doesn't make it mandatory.

http://www.insurance.com/auto-insurance/coverage/uninsured-underinsured-motorist-coverage.html
Old 04-01-2017, 08:56 AM   #52
chadk66

Quote:

I sold insurance years ago in several states. All those states required it to be attached to all liability insurance policies which all drivers are required to have at a minimum "liability" insurance. You have to keep in mind that not all states are "no fault" states. ND isn't. So if I am driving in winter and run into a parked car because of Icy roads and that car owner didn't have insurance, my insurance would cover his car damage. And if there were occupants in that car my uninsured motorist coverage would cover their injuries even though they didn't have insurance because they could ultimately sue me. It's cheap insurance. If I get in a wreck here in ND and it is determined the other guy is 100% at fault I don't even have to deal with my insurance company. Everything is submitted through the guilty party's insurance. And my rates don't go up from it. In states where there is "no fault" insurance, my rates would skyrocket even though I didn't have a damn thing to do with the crash aside from being an innocent recipient of a totaled out car.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:53 AM   #53
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Federal roads into and out of sanctuary cities should require passports to use. If the cities do not follow our law, they should be treated as foreign areas and all passage restricted.

Can't do that on state highways, but we sure could put a major hurt on them - enough of a hurt to make the sensible citizens in them to rise up and go for regime change.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:14 AM   #54
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
I sold insurance years ago in several states. All those states required it to be attached to all liability insurance policies which all drivers are required to have at a minimum "liability" insurance. You have to keep in mind that not all states are "no fault" states. ND isn't. So if I am driving in winter and run into a parked car because of Icy roads and that car owner didn't have insurance, my insurance would cover his car damage. And if there were occupants in that car my uninsured motorist coverage would cover their injuries even though they didn't have insurance because they could ultimately sue me. It's cheap insurance. If I get in a wreck here in ND and it is determined the other guy is 100% at fault I don't even have to deal with my insurance company. Everything is submitted through the guilty party's insurance. And my rates don't go up from it. In states where there is "no fault" insurance, my rates would skyrocket even though I didn't have a damn thing to do with the crash aside from being an innocent recipient of a totaled out car.
I worked in claims for a few desperate years and it doesn't surprise me to hear that a sales guy didn't know what he was selling. Dealt with that all the time.

As I noted earlier, u/m is a first party coverage. It would NEVER cover the occupant of any vehicle but your own. That is true across state lines. I'll wager my CPCU designation on it.

The occupants of the parked car who were injured would be covered by your liability insurance, not the u/m.

I'm glad to hear you managed to find employment in another field.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:17 AM   #55
chadk66

Quote:
I worked in claims for a few desperate years and it doesn't surprise me to hear that a sales guy didn't know what he was selling. Dealt with that all the time.

As I noted earlier, u/m is a first party coverage. It would NEVER cover the occupant of any vehicle but your own. That is true across state lines. I'll wager my CPCU designation on it.

The occupants of the parked car who were injured would be covered by your liability insurance, not the u/m.

I'm glad to hear you managed to find employment in another field.
you can wager anything you want. insurance varies greatly from state to state. I got out of the business because it was filled with scum bags that wanted to screw their policyholders at any opportunity they had. I put them one step on the run below used car salesmen
Old 01-18-2018, 02:47 PM   #56
JustRalph
Just another Facist

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...ven-times.html

Only deported 7 times
Old 01-18-2018, 02:51 PM   #57
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Can't keep an bad illegal hombre down...