Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 01:21 AM   #166
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
So you are saying you are boring to yourself?
Yes.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:35 AM   #167
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
Most of us are in search of love, some of us have found it....that someone who makes us feel special and wanted....For some of us the special someone is God....for others, it is Jesus, for you perhaps, that love is inside of you already, and you have no need of someone else...Many turn to god because they have no one else in their lives that loves them...some one that will always be there for them...that looks after them, that BLESSES them....such is the human condition...
Yes that is the present human condition. Does not mean there is no more that you are not aware of. There is plenty more.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:37 AM   #168
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Yes.
Sorry.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:48 AM   #169
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Sorry.
It is all ok....boredom is INSIDE of all of us...
Old 03-06-2017, 01:49 AM   #170
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post

Cool. Here's a good site with many audio tapes
https://archive.org/search.php?query=ouspensky

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 03-06-2017 at 01:51 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:57 AM   #171
Light
Veteran

Quote:
And so is love inside us. Love is not boring. Depends on where you focus your attention.

BTW, have you considered that perhaps the reason you may be bored with yourself is because you limit yourself with preconceived notions of who you think you are and your own potential? Can get a bit boring when you limit yourself.

What if your awareness was expanded? I doubt you would be bored.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:03 AM   #172
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Yes that is the present human condition. Does not mean there is no more that you are not aware of. There is plenty more.
Let's all hope so...after all, it is quite a miracle that we are here at all...

...but at some point, there also must be an end to any "more"....however far-off into the future, there is always a point when "no more"...is right.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:31 AM   #173
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
And so is love inside us. Love is not boring. Depends on where you focus your attention.

BTW, have you considered that perhaps the reason you may be bored with yourself is because you limit yourself with preconceived notions of who you think you are and your own potential? Can get a bit boring when you limit yourself.

What if your awareness was expanded? I doubt you would be bored.
When you reach a certain age, you begin to wonder at how little time you have left, and you begin to understand the futility of all action...

My life has been just ONE LONG MOMENT IN TIME interspersed with regular intervals of sleep...and yet that MOMENT is but a cosmic flash, a flicker in the night, and measured against the background of eternity (or reasonably so), a dream...

...Yea, a dream, of a terrible Being untold, sleeping as well...all the while sounding a mighty furious snore, heard by none, at all...

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 03-06-2017 at 02:32 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:45 AM   #174
boxcar

Quote:
Have you ever considered LSD? That could really expand your horizons and awareness.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:23 AM   #175
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
There is a widely accepted label called "agnostic"...whereby you are allowed to profess your religious "doubts" without fully denying the existence of a "divine being". From what I've read...the "atheist" proclaims that there is no God...while the "agnostic" declares that he reserves judgement on the matter until sufficient "proof" comes along.
Of course, Vigors denied that he was either atheist or agnostic. If I understood his logic, it was, how can I not believe in anything that isn't there. Ironically, if that line appeared in a George Orwell book it would have been considered brilliant.

The line between atheist and agnostic is very thin. The difference between believing there is no god and believing "we can't tell if there is a god" is perhaps fodder for a college debate, but still comes down to "I don't believe in a god." In any case, call him what you want, but Vigors doesn't believe in any particular god.

Remember, that this part of the conversation emanated from a humorous post about renaming the thread.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:17 AM   #176
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
Of course, Vigors denied that he was either atheist or agnostic. If I understood his logic, it was, how can I not believe in anything that isn't there. Ironically, if that line appeared in a George Orwell book it would have been considered brilliant.

The line between atheist and agnostic is very thin. The difference between believing there is no god and believing "we can't tell if there is a god" is perhaps fodder for a college debate, but still comes down to "I don't believe in a god." In any case, call him what you want, but Vigors doesn't believe in any particular god.

Remember, that this part of the conversation emanated from a humorous post about renaming the thread.
A "thing" is material..."God" is not material..."God" is not a thing...."God" is a non-thing...."God" "is" nothing....You want me to believe in (a) nothing...?
It is impossible to "believe" in (a) nothing...You want me to believe an "is" that isn't, don't you...?

Please prove your "is" that isn't...and please just don't say that "it" "is" that "it" "is"....or "I am that I am"...or some other religio-canard...

Maybe this thread should be called the "You cannot not believe in anything that isn't there"....thread....

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 03-06-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:34 AM   #177
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnlgfnk View Post
The early moderns rejected the qualitative aspects of nature (intentionality, color, odor, taste, etc.) because they weren't quantifiable, attributing them to individual perceptions of things not actually existing in the physical world.

Do you agree?
I wonder if Vigors believes in gravity?
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington
Old 03-06-2017, 11:44 AM   #178
boxcar

Quote:
A "thing" is material..."God" is not material..."God" is not a thing...."God" is a non-thing...."God" "is" nothing....You want me to believe in (a) nothing...?
It is impossible to "believe" in (a) nothing...You want me to believe an "is" that isn't, don't you...?

Please prove your "is" that isn't...and please just don't say that "it" "is" that "it" "is"....or "I am that I am"...or some other religio-canard...

Maybe this thread should be called the "You cannot not believe in anything that isn't there"....thread....
Who says that a "thing" has to be material? My dictionary gives ten (10)...yes that is 10 definitions for this term. You should bone up on them. Thoughts are not material. Ideas are not material. Time is not material. The laws of logic are not material. The laws of math aren't material. But no one in his right mind believes that these aren't someTHING!

But you are correct that God is not a thing. God is a person.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:23 PM   #179
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Who says that a "thing" has to be material? My dictionary gives ten (10)...yes that is 10 definitions for this term. You should bone up on them. Thoughts are not material. Ideas are not material. Time is not material. The laws of logic are not material. The laws of math aren't material. But no one in his right mind believes that these aren't someTHING!

Better minds than ours have waded in this morass:
Old 03-06-2017, 12:31 PM   #180
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post

A non-material person, I presume, replete with a non-material beating heart (the heart of Jesus) I suppose...and other such absurdities...
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: