Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 02-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #16
JustCoolGene

Dave,

Over the last 20 years, many people in the world have purchased many of the BRIS based programs discussed and we all need the ability to "Load up the scratches and they're done" feature you mention. Users would then have a "state of the art" scratch utility for all the programs we bought that did not have the feature built in. That is precisely the reason we need the software utility discussed.

Last edited by JustCoolGene; 02-14-2012 at 12:01 PM.
JustCoolGene is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #17
GameTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCoolGene
Dave,

Over the last 20 years, many people in the world have purchased many of the BRIS based programs discussed and we all need the ability to "Load up the scratches and they're done" feature you mention. Users would then have a "state of the art" scratch utility for all the programs we bought that did not have the feature built in. That is precisely the reason we need the software utility discussed.
What you are talking about is very easy now that we have a reliable scratch feed from Equibase -- personally I've been using my own "scratch-watch" program that monitors the RacingChannel/Phonebet toteboard for scratches, but you need an account for that. (I think the toteboard is a little better because you never miss a late scratch, except maybe a last second gate scratch. I think maybe the Equibase feed isn't always up-to-date with scratches that occur after the card has started.) But anyway, it could be easily redone using the Equibase feed which is open to everybody, and the reprocessing of DRF or BRIS files is trivial, although as some mentioned BRIS programs may not react well to data tampering. Third-party programs probably won't care.

The one thing you're glossing over is that you'd have to re-run it many times a day and re-process the files as new scratches come in all the time, so it isn't one and done for the whole day. (Or it could just stay running in the background and alert you if there are new scratches -- it could check every 10 minutes or something.) But as long as you're willing to restart your programs as needed with the updated files, it is no big deal. If someone wants to pay me to make such a thing, they can have it in a day or two...

Last edited by GameTheory; 02-14-2012 at 12:17 PM.
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #18
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Dave,

It's a great goal, however, some of the old software, like those programs of the AODDS era, require use of the so called HAT files. These files have a checksum or security feature that is a part of the data file when you download from BRIS. This is the extra data in a trailing field. As I recall from many years ago, without that extra tidbit, some of the programs will not work.

You can try to change the data file and rewrite it using the trailing token found at the end of each record but I don't know if that will be sufficent. If you are using programs with this little quirk, you're just going to have to try it to see what happens.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #19
JustCoolGene

I will purchase a copy from whoever builds the most comprehensive version of the software. I really don't want to hire a contract programmer to do the work. I would then own the rights to the software and I really don't want to get into marketing, sales, upgrading, and support.

There is a market for whoever builds the software. Afterall, there is 20 years of BRIS-based software currently being used.

Gene

Last edited by JustCoolGene; 02-14-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #20
openhorse

Quote:
Users would then have a "state of the art" scratch utility for all the programs we bought that did not have the feature built in.
Dec 26, 2010, Webside Story is fired as contractor for DRF Web programming.
Replaced by internal team using RSS feed and real time updates for scratches - direct from Equibase.

Enough users wanted real-time entries justifying this massive overhaul. The first in a decade at DRF. They are doing what they can at the HTML Pure-Results level because the data hasn't been normalized (i.e. Stacked PP's 6 deep for BRIS). This is done to compensate for the frustration of the data providers not being able to update Static Context in the data files they sold only hours before. The real purpose of Formulator Web.

Handicapping software that uses this type of pre-generated data file is known within certain circles as the 'The O'Henry House Model'.

Though this type of software is common, the pitfalls indicated so far in this thread indicate that it is not a perfect solution for getting an accurate results set over the long haul. Yes, you can scratch horses during input, but what about all the other factors that need to be re-calculated on the fly: like Jock Change, Rail Ft, and some of the permutations ...?

The pre-generated PP is a great convenience, because you are paying for someone to extract for you a subset of Static Context from a world of computers quite capable of generating Dynamic Context. However, To assume this is the only way to write software that predicts winners is a complete fallacy.

The reason is simple. Pen and Paper is easily automated - you really can run your own DRF on your desktop/laptop and generate all your own context nowadays. Run your meets, run your stats, build your card, and bet. Thank Moore's Law.

In conclusion, I suggest the best way to solve the problem of having innaccurate entries or jockeys is to:
Change your school of thought - and have your software actually build something original - that no one else will ever have.
openhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #21
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
If you're using data files from BRIS then look at field number 5. To mark that entry as a scratch, change the string to the letter "S".
Has anyone used this method for scratches? Field 5 is intended for scratches of an entry (or entries, I suppose), but I was wondering if this could be used as a scratch flag for any horse. It would be much easier to use than having a scratch list file. I'm curious if there are any gotchas by using field #5 as a generic flag.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #22
vegasone

I have been using that field for scratches forever. Wrote a little program to check scratches online and update database field.
vegasone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 11:47 PM   #23
headhawg
crusty old guy

Thanks vegasone. I assumed that it would be ok, but I wanted to know if anyone else had done it this way and might warn me not to do it.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #24
MitchS
Patience $ Discipline

I run multiple programs and scratches can be time consuming and tiresome. A little utility program like this would be SWEET!
Old 03-22-2012, 01:07 AM   #25
vegasone

It is written in VB6 and was a quickie. Got tired of updating manually. It works with Access , but it is trivial to modify to work with SQL, MYSQL or EXCEL spreadsheets. If you want source let me know.

Takes about 3 seconds to run all scratches on all tracks.
vegasone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #26
teddy

Open Horse

I applaud you finding a way to handicap outside of the box, based on other factors. No one else is doing that so at least you have some promise to be the first. Short term cycles is preached over and over on the MTN handicapping show. Trainer intent also...
teddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #27
openhorse

This thread is the point

The problems described in this thread, and the amount of work required to correct them even partially, at best, were in fact the entire reason i went 'back to the' old skool Pen & Paper approach: following the jockey pool from Meet to Meet within a single Race-Circuit.

Adding in 40 trainer angles just seemed like the common sense thing to do; having a grandpa who was a trainer at Santa Anita for a brief time.

Viewing the game from the perspective of grains of sand which you color yourself, vs. a pre-colored brick, requires a change in one's school of thought, 'back to the' old skool Pen & Paper approach. Thanks to Moore's Law, what was not possible 20 years ago with .2 Mhz computers is more than possible with a dual core on your desktop today. Right now.

To those who believe this is impossible, the automation of common-sense 800 year old handicapping methodology, with a modern programming language (not one with Beginner in the Acronym), please continue looking at a gift horse in the mouth.

Here is an example of SpotPlays generated from grains of sand, pure results. Not a solid brick to whittle down and wonder where the context came from. With todays Scratches and Rider Changes, of course.

Santa Anita: Letting the cat out of the bag here: Backwheel the favorite with these trainer angles on maiden SWT races.

-------------Santa Anita Trainer Spot Plays 3/24/2011
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TrainerSpotPlays_3-24-2012.pdf (55.4 KB, 79 views)
File Type: pdf _PaceContenders_3-24-2012.pdf (155.6 KB, 66 views)
openhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #28
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
I really don't want to hire a contract programmer to do the work. I would then own the rights to the software and I really don't want to get into marketing, sales, upgrading, and support.
I really didn't want to give free advertising but some people might be interested. Apparently Gene has had a change of heart. $150 is steep in my opinion even though I know how long it takes to develop software. Ebay link
Old 04-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #29
GameTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg
I really didn't want to give free advertising but some people might be interested. Apparently Gene has had a change of heart. $150 is steep in my opinion even though I know how long it takes to develop software. Ebay link
There is a website also:

http://scratchmanager.com/
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #30
JustCoolGene

GameTheory And Headhawg,

Thank you for your comments. I didn't want to mention Scratch Manager on the board because I am not a sponsor on PaceAdvantage.com. Mike has sent me the details on becoming a sponsor, however, I haven't made a commitment to him. I have worked very hard with a new member named Tyler who goes by the name of "doubleback" on the board. He was great to work with and very talented like many software programmers here on PaceAdvantage. I hope people don't get mad at me for discussing Scratch Manager. Tyler and I built the program as a service to all the PaceAdvantage users of BRIS single files. We don't expect to make money on this project. We hope to just make enough to cover some of our costs in time and effort.

Headhawg, I respect your opinion regarding the cost of Scratch Manager being a little steep, so I have listened to you and dropped the retail price

Thanks To Everyone At PaceAdvantage,

Gene

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 04-24-2012 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Edited due to non-Authorized Advertiser restrictions

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: