Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 02-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #1
JustCoolGene

How about Software that imports DRF files, makes scratches, and builds new DRF files.

PA programmers, why not build a DRF file scratch utility program?

If you own a few handicapping programs that use DRF files, you know what a hassle it is to import DRF files into each program and make scratches.
You must first go to Equibase and get the scratches, then import the DRF file into your program, and finally.. find and remove each scratched horse one at a time. You must do this process for each track you are playing.

How about a commercial software program that grabs all daily scratches from Equibase, builds a scratched horse table, and then removes all scratched horses from ALL your daily DRF files with the push of one button. Users would then have a folder with all today's DRF files with all scratched horses removed. Then users would just import a DRF file into their software and run the reports...avoiding the time consuming process of scratching each horse individually in each program.

Gene

Last edited by JustCoolGene; 02-13-2012 at 07:38 PM.
JustCoolGene is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
JCapper (all versions.)

I don't rewrite the comma delimited data file - but do import scratches and races off the turf from the web. Scratches and changes are persisted to a pair of text files - one for scratches and one for races off the turf. The text files are then picked up by the JCapper program during a Calc Races routine (number crunching.)

There is some user setup involved... track name and 3 character track code are saved to a setup table. From there, a couple of mouse clicks drives processing of scratches and races off the turf for any track found in the setup table.

Been doing it since 2003 and it's as close to automatic as I can make it.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 02-13-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
JustCoolGene

Jeff,

As an example, if I have five DRF files in my download folder, then the software will get scratches, remove them, and then rewrite my original five DRF files into five new DRF files. I then have five new rebuilt DRF files, each having all scratched horses removed, ready to use in my commercial programs.

Gene

Last edited by JustCoolGene; 02-13-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
No. See my above post. (I think I was editing it while you were replying to it.)

It wouldn't be any great trick for a JCapper user familiar with programming to parse the text files to pick up scratches and changes and then have a separate routine go through today's comma delimited text data files, remove scratched horses, and overwrite surface and distance where applicable...

But (currently) everything happens from within JCapper. The routine (purposely) doesn't touch a user's paid for comma delimited text data files.

Hope I explained most of that in a way that makes sense.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 02-13-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
Dave Schwartz

Any reputable program would (effectively) do this. Our software starts with the basic data (from HDW, not DRF), grabs the early scratches at a couple of button clicks, and then re-ranks all the horses and changes ratings based upon the current mix of horses.

It continues to do that throughout the day as you "hit the live tote" (update) button.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #6
JustCoolGene

Dave,

I think you misunderstood the kind of software this thread is about. We are not discussing an auto scratch feature that processes non-DRF files from within only one proprietary program.

We are discussing a "fully automated" software utility that takes all DRF files that a user purchased for the day and then re-creates new DRF files that include current daily scratches, distance, and surface changes... all with the push of ONE BUTTON. These "changed" DRF files will allow users quick access to much more accurate selections, reports, and rankings produced from all the different software they use.

Gene

Last edited by JustCoolGene; 02-14-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:39 AM   #7
guckers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCoolGene
We are discussing a "fully automated" software utility that takes all DRF files that a user purchased for the day and then re-creates new DRF files that include current daily scratches, distance, and surface changes, all with the push of ONE BUTTON. These "changed" DRF files will allow users quick access to much more accurate selections, reports, and rankings from all the different software they use.

Gene
I'm willing to try putting something together for this... It sounds really up my alley of tool development...

Is someone willing to share a few hours to walk me through the drf format (since I don't use drf), and where you would get scratches and other changes to recreate the chart you need.
guckers is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #8
BIG49010

The problems you will run into with bris, if you take the original file and then delete a part or change say the race surface, and then save the new comma delimited file, they won't work when you use their Custom PP program and perhaps other programs that are available.

There are hidden details which cause the program to crash. I can't tell you anything about DRF, but I am assuming you are speaking to have one program for all vendors.
BIG49010 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #9
DJofSD
Screw PC

If you're using data files from BRIS then look at field number 5. To mark that entry as a scratch, change the string to the letter "S".
Old 02-14-2012, 10:24 AM   #10
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
I think you misunderstood the kind of software this thread is about. We are not discussing an auto scratch feature that processes non-DRF files from within only one proprietary program.

We are discussing a "fully automated" software utility that takes all DRF files that a user purchased for the day and then re-creates new DRF files that include current daily scratches, distance, and surface changes... all with the push of ONE BUTTON. These "changed" DRF files will allow users quick access to much more accurate selections, reports, and rankings produced from all the different software they use.
I understood what you meant but fail to see the difference between removing a horse from the file and just removing all traces of the horse from the race.

Please enlighten me.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #11
JustCoolGene

CJ already has a program like the one described in this thread which his subscribers have used for years. It is "fully automated" and uses BRIS DRF files that a user purchased for the day and then re-creates new DRF files that include current daily Equibase scratches, distance, and surface changes, all with the push of ONE BUTTON. The only difference is that CJ replaces pace, late, and final BRIS figures with his own figures. His users can then use this "replaced" file in most commercial software available including the BRIS PP Generator. The BRIS PP Generator works great and displays and prints CJ's figures any way you want in the racing form. His program works flawlessly, however you need to use CJ's data. The only problem with CJ's program is that the BRIS figs are replaced into new locations within the BRIS files. This causes problems in some software. CJ's software removes all data related to scratches before the file is rewritten back as a new BRIS file. He has the solution, it's too bad it doesn't work without having to use his figs, otherwise it would be a perfect solution. Maybe CJ will help BRIS users out!

Gene

Last edited by JustCoolGene; 02-14-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #12
Dave Schwartz

Oh, I get it. Less printing.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #13
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I would buy a program that would take all my BRIS files and makes scratches, surface changes and re-write the file.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #14
JustCoolGene

The main point of having a "replaced" or "rewritten" BRIS files is that the user could then import the new file into software such as RPM, Tom Console, A+, MPH, Power-Online, Sartin, and many others to quickly produce accurate program selections and metrics without having to make changes for each horse individually within each program. Most users don't make these changes because it's too much of a hassle, thereby relying on less than accurate results. Race selections change if you scratch the LONE front runner or take the race off the turf.

Gene

Last edited by JustCoolGene; 02-14-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #15
Dave Schwartz

You make changes on individual horses?

I don't. Load up the scratches and they're done.

Surface changes are a small issue, but you can do it on a race-by-race basis, except track condition. That can be done for the "rest of the card."

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: