Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-07-2017, 04:57 PM   #16
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
Yet somehow they were able to VOLUNTARILY lower the take on P5 and DD.
They were blindsided by the backlash and most people didn't know that they had the higher takeout rates this meet and have for the last few years.

BTW, this is the way the activism thing is supposed to work. Jeff P. and HANA doing a blog piece and us hitting them over the head with it on social media. That's what causes them to have to explain things and when they have to explain things like this it makes it worse for them. It's a beautiful thing.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2017, 05:10 PM   #17
Al Gobbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
How was this handled the last few years? This isn't the first year they ran the fair dates, right?
They (apparently) used the normal thoroughbred takeout rates for the fair meeting the past three years.
Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2017, 05:13 PM   #18
SG4

LOS AL DIFFERENT PAYOUTS??

Something strange is going on here. The odds & eventual payouts of Los Al's 1st today were definitely posted as if ZERO takeout was applied. However, all the odds & payouts I see on ADW's are with takeout applied. Los Al's graphics had the 1st race exacta paying $8.20, however I only got $6.20 for it for a $1. Winner paid $7.80 on their screen, only $6.60 in results I'm seeing.

Is there some on-track no takeout apology they're running today??
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2017, 05:17 PM   #19
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
Something strange is going on here. The odds & eventual payouts of Los Al's 1st today were definitely posted as if ZERO takeout was applied. However, all the odds & payouts I see on ADW's are with takeout applied. Los Al's graphics had the 1st race exacta paying $8.20, however I only got $6.20 for it for a $1. Winner paid $7.80 on their screen, only $6.60 in results I'm seeing.

No but it wouldn't surprise me if they screwed up.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:33 PM   #20
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post

You were right. Explanation coming shortly
Old 09-07-2017, 05:44 PM   #21
Andy Asaro

http://live.drf.com/nuggets/38573-lo...y-s-first-race

Los Al: Payoff rundown for Thursday's first race

Here are the payoffs for Thursday's first race. There was a discrepancy between what was presented on TV from the actual payoffs.

5-Trickonomics, $6.60 $2.80 $2.60

2-Reverend Al $2.40 $2.10

6-Duke of Fallbrook $6.40

$1 exacta (5-2) $6.20, $1 trifecta (5-2-6) $72.30, $1 superfecta (5-2-6-7) $176.20.

There was no confusion surrounding payoffs of second race.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:45 PM   #22
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
How was this handled the last few years? This isn't the first year they ran the fair dates, right?
I asked the CHRB that very same question earlier today.

The following aren't direct quotes. They are me paraphrasing what I was told on the phone:

The CHRB:
Quote:
September dates between closing day of Del Mar and opening day of Santa Anita have always been granted to CARF or California Association of Racing Fairs.

Or more specifically: Those dates have always belonged to The Los Angeles County Fair no matter where the races themselves have been run - whether it be Pomona, Fairplex, or Los Al.

Dating back to 2014 when those Sept dates were first run at Los Al they were run as a fair meet at the higher fair takeout rates.

But, according to the CHRB:
Quote:
Going back to 2014, whenever Los Al has run thoroughbred races in the afternoon at times during the year OTHER than the September Cal Fair dates: e.g., April, July, December, etc...

THOSE Los Al dates have always been run as a Thoroughbred Meet at the lower thoroughbred takeout rates - and not as a CARF meet at the higher Cal Fair takeout rates.

Based on player feedback:

It appears a lot of players didn't know that and mistakenly thought the lower thoroughbred takeout rates were being used for ALL of the race cards run at Los Al in the afternoon since 2014 when they were first awarded thoroughbred dates.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 09-07-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2017, 05:55 PM   #23
dilanesp

This is an abuse.

The point of the "county fair" provision is that county fairs attract people to the track who wander in from the Ferris Wheel and the Tilt-a-Whirl and who are not sensitive to takeout. So you can charge them more without hurting handle.

Los Al isn't putting on a fair meet. They are putting on a normal garden variety thoroughbred race meet. There will be no Fun House in the Los Al parking lot, and they won't be selling any cotton candy or fried corn dogs there. They are simply taking advantage of an exemption that wasn't intended for this sort of meet, because they technically took over from Fairplex.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2017, 06:10 PM   #24
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
There will be no Fun House in the Los Al parking lot,
I don't know why, but this line had me laughing hard.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2017, 07:58 PM   #25
Franco Santiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
If I am understanding this correctly, this isn't a takeout increase per se. They have a higher takeout on this 17 day fair meet than they do the rest of the year. Why is that?

These are very high takeouts, especially considering that Los Al typically has mostly 6 horse fields.

No Keeneland, No Los Al. Anybody else?

Good thing I love harness racing.
What is the average North American harness racing takeout?
Franco Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2017, 08:00 PM   #26
Franco Santiago

After you have missed 10 basketball shots in a row at those oval hoops that a ball can barely fit through, high takeout horsing might now seem like such a bad deal.
Franco Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2017, 01:19 PM   #27
Andy Asaro

http://live.drf.com/nuggets/38582-lo...-six-carryover

Excerpt:

It is unclear how the Fair-meet takeout requirements made it into law, and unclear why a meet in Orange Country somehow remains affiliated with the Los Angeles County Fair.

Anyway, it is getting tougher for bettors in California.
====================

Like to see the DRF guys talk about it in a pro gambler way. Something seems to have changed.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:07 PM   #28
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Santiago View Post
What is the average North American harness racing takeout?
Don't know, don't really care. Do I really need to punish the harness racing industry? Aren't they suffering enough? Also, Mohawk has a 15% takeout 20 cent pick 5 that gets nice pools and pays well just about every night, so at the very least (if I decide I can't beat the other pools-which I would say is highly doubtful and I don't even get rebates in harness) I can play that nightly and be one very happy camper.

Have no clue what your basketball hoop analogy is supposed to mean.

I am not sure what your point is about all of this. My point is that there are too many misguided decision makers that are looking for any reason to they can find to raise takeout. If we the horse player do not take a strong stance every time they raise takeout, they will keep raising takeout. Look at Gulfstream. They just had a press release. Thanks to the fans for our great meet this year. As a reward we are raising purses next meet.. Excuse me for not .

Did not see anything about lowering takeout, or offering the public a low takeout pick 4 or anything. It is all about purses. Always. Nobody in this industry gives a rat's ass about the betting public. They take them for granted whether things go good or bad.

Regarding Los Al, my guess is this was just a convenient way to extract extra money for a short meet. Probably figured nobody would notice, but Hana pointed it out (good for them), and yes I am punishing Los Al for not trying to do the right thing and lower the takeout to their normal levels.

Any thoroughbred racetrack that increases takeout from now on, will not see a dime of my action. I refuse to look away as the racing industry continues to try to fleece the public even more. If some of you have a hard on for Keeeneland, so be it, don't boycott, but unless we really unite these greedy and stupid (because they continue to bite the hand that feeds them) mother****ers are going to keep screwing us over. You can bet your last buck on that.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2017, 03:25 PM   #29
chiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
(referrring to quote)So is me not playing a nickel on the meet. This isn’t just a Los Alamitos thing for me it has to do with Keenelenad and the Industry as a whole. I’m fed up supporting a sport at retail takeout rates. So I’ll pass on Los Alamitos and I’ll pass on Keeneland, and I may pass on Santa Anita if they come up with some mickey mouse b.s. cosmetic changes to the wagering menu next meet like the rolling super hi fives.

Consider me a part time gambler from now on unless something drastic changes.

Hat’s off to Jeff Platt and HANA for bringing attention to the Fair takeout rates. Most people on the list didn’t even know about it.

We never quit,

A

“This was statutory,” Liebau said on Thursday morning. “There was no leeway. If you’re a fair, you’re a fair.”

http://www.drf.com/news/takeout-rise...september-meet
So instead of just a boycott for take out hikes you will now boycott for any decision the owner of the track makes in regards to the wagering menu? Seems as if your initial mission has gone off the rails.
chiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2017, 03:27 PM   #30
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
So instead of just a boycott for take out hikes you will now boycott for any decision the owner of the track makes in regards to the wagering menu? Seems as if your initial mission has gone off the rails.
I'm fed up with the Industry and yes I'll stop betting a particular track or jurisdiction for any reason depending on what happens.