Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-22-2017, 07:38 PM   #136
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I predict that in 200 years the climate will be different, but no matter which direction it goes, our technology will change, the location of our major cities will change, our way of life and just about everything else will change with it. Humans will continue to flourish and this period will be not be considered especially significant. The only thing that will remain the same is that the government still won't have a good healthcare system.
You are not exactly "going out on a limb" here. This is the only true "prediction" that I've ever seen you make on this board...and none of us will be around to see how it will play out.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:57 PM   #137
jms62
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
You are not exactly "going out on a limb" here. This is the only true "prediction" that I've ever seen you make on this board...and none of us will be around to see how it will play out.
Kind of like the greatest Ponzi Scheme of all time... Organized Religion.
jms62 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2017, 08:01 PM   #138
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
I couldn't agree with you more.

Organized Religion is the only business in the world where no customer ever goes back looking for a refund.

Last edited by thaskalos; 09-22-2017 at 08:02 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2017, 10:19 PM   #139
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
You may want to look up the definition of ponzi scheme before you make such statements.

One may have an issue with organized religion, but a ponzi scheme it's not.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2017, 05:07 AM   #140
jms62
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
You may want to look up the definition of ponzi scheme before you make such statements.

Figurative language must be above your pay grade.
jms62 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2017, 06:07 AM   #141
davew

Quote:

yep no money going to early investors ... this is just fraud, money going to the liars.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2017, 09:19 AM   #142
jimmyb

Leave it to Al Gore to invoke the religion card. On ABC’s This Week, the former vice president said that the weather lately has been something out of the “book of revelation.”

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattve...ation-n2336238
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2017, 09:31 AM   #143
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Figurative language must be above your pay grade.
You didn't write a poem. You stated something as fact, and as such it wasn't true.

I'm still waiting for you to tell us of my "backstory".
Old 09-23-2017, 09:42 AM   #144
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
yep no money going to early investors ... this is just fraud, money going to the liars.
A lot of good is also done under the name of organized religion, so I can't condemn it with a blanket statement. From Billy Graham to hundreds of thousands small church leaders, they try to bring good to the world.

But like many others, I have a problem with the Catholic Church for its leaders and the very ungodly acts they committed, and with rich evangelicals, and also rich churches like the Catholic and Mormon churches.

Overall, I think churches should be stripped of their non-profit status, with only the money spent on charitable missions being tax deductible.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:54 AM   #145
davew

Quote:
A lot of good is also done under the name of organized religion, so I can't condemn it with a blanket statement. From Billy Graham to hundreds of thousands small church leaders, they try to bring good to the world.

But like many others, I have a problem with the Catholic Church for its leaders and the very ungodly acts they committed, and with rich evangelicals, and also rich churches like the Catholic and Mormon churches.

Overall, I think churches should be stripped of their non-profit status, with only the money spent on charitable missions being tax deductible.
I have to agree with you completely - I misread the Ponzi scheme statement as referring to climate change, not religion

although some religions and tele-evangelists have a big fraud component to them
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2017, 10:11 AM   #146
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I've made plenty of terrific predictions on this board. Some that are still in play.

If you have a long term perspective, you still have time to take some of your excess cash that's being inflated away by the Fed to buy gold/gold mines like I have since it was $1200. Warning: It may get VERY bumpy.

When the current cycle ends and the stock market blows up, not only is the Fed not going to be able to reduce it's balance sheet from the post 2008 crisis like it says, it's going to have to initiate another round of quantitative easing. The day the rest of the world understands that I'm going to make boatload of money.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:14 AM   #147
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
Leave it to Al Gore to invoke the religion card. On ABC’s This Week, the former vice president said that the weather lately has been something out of the “book of revelation.”
Now...that's funny. But on the other hand, maybe he gets it that that book is talking about God's judgment upon the world, which is how he finally came to his senses about the Paris Accords fraud.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:50 AM   #148
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
I have to agree with you completely - I misread the Ponzi scheme statement as referring to climate change, not religion

although some religions and tele-evangelists have a big fraud component to them
I can't believe people still send money to people like Peter Popoff who has been busted numerous times as a fraudulent faith healer. I can't believe Ernest Angely is still alive, we used to watch his phony faith healing sessions on TV 45 years ago as kids and laugh like crazy, I can believe people fall for that stuff.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2017, 12:34 PM   #149
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Peter Popoff - ya gotta love that name!
Old 09-23-2017, 01:12 PM   #150
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
If you have a long term perspective, you still have time to take some of your excess cash that's being inflated away by the Fed to buy gold/gold mines like I have since it was $1200. Warning: It may get VERY bumpy.
I sincerely appreciate the advice...but my long tenure as a horseplayer has practically destroyed my "long-term perspective", as far as "investments" are concerned. Even the thought of tying up my money for the duration of a baseball game aggravates me...at this point of my life.