Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-31-2017, 01:09 PM   #106
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Xenophobia as it is defined is what I am talking about. Intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries.

MAGA or America First...not sure how that qualifies as xenophobia.

Likewise, I don't see how pointing out and setting out to correct imbalances in trade deals is also xenophobic.

I think Trump critics just like to toss around certain buzzwords where they think they can get away with making them fit. Usually, they throw their filter away and just toss all the buzzwords out and let chaos sort it out in the end...it's a good strategy as long as enough people employ it I suppose.

Desperate perhaps, but still good strategy in these times.
Because you are simply denying what is right in front of you. Xenophobia typically associates with very nationalistic/isolationist/protectionist regimes and is predominantly displayed in policy. The current administration hits that trifecta, campaigned on it, and has doubled down on it. The United States is actively pulling away from international norms.

I gave you a laundry list of examples where America is planning on withdrawing and isolating from the rest of the world without even having to mention a wall. This has nothing to do with buzzwords. This is the current course of American Policy.

That's fine... if its what you voted for... it however doesn't change the fact that calling it xenophobic isn't far off the mark.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2017, 01:19 PM   #107
Robert Fischer
clean money

Not 'Xenophobia', but if we break it down, a lot of media is based on irrational dislike of 'others'.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:20 PM   #108
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless
Mostpost, and all you other self-anointed smarty-pants:

Per what mostpost posted and PJW's tweet 'reminds' us: did mostpost, or anyone else on here ever call Obama a racist? Anti-Muslim? How about islamaphobe? Did anyone link a Rachel Maddow anti-Obama tirade about anything along the lines that usually ended with ... this isn't my America, we are much better than this ...

No, no, no. Never.

But yet, when this intellectually empty bullshat is belched my way and I (plus other patriots) question them, I --and my fellow patriots-- are denounced as Trump fanboys, and xenophobes!

A suggestion to all you good liberals and internationalists: for the hell of it try visiting almost any foreign country -- but especially those backward, 7th century religion of hate Muslim countries -- and demand residence, citizenry, all sorts of welfare benefits, including a job and housing... tell them you are fleeing an oppressed country called the USA, and claim to be political refugee -- and I'll just bet you'll be 'greeted' with 'open arms'.

When you do, come on back now here... and share your enlightened experience with us. We need to 'grow' as a nation.

The basic stupidity still surprises me to no end.
Heck, Mosty doesn't have to go to an Islamic country. He should check out India and see how they handle immigrants.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:27 PM   #109
HalvOnHorseracing

Dennis Leary does a routine about racism and mentions that of course the Mexicans having brown skin has a lot to do with people disliking them. Anyway, he ends the routine by saying if it was Sweden sitting below the U.S. they'd have to build a wall to keep us out.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2017, 01:29 PM   #110
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

To paraphrase a popular expression, it's not really xenophobia if they really do hate us first.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2017, 01:32 PM   #111
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller
Because you are simply denying what is right in front of you. Xenophobia typically associates with very nationalistic/isolationist/protectionist regimes and is predominantly displayed in policy. The current administration hits that trifecta, campaigned on it, and has doubled down on it. The United States is actively pulling away from international norms.

I gave you a laundry list of examples where America is planning on withdrawing and isolating from the rest of the world without even having to mention a wall. This has nothing to do with buzzwords. This is the current course of American Policy.

That's fine... if its what you voted for... it however doesn't change the fact that calling it xenophobic isn't far off the mark.
It is though. You can conjure up all sorts of things (my denial for instance). But putting a square peg into a round hole usually won't work, unless you use the tried and true method of the sledgehammer, which is what you appear to be employing.

But then you're left with a helluva mess to sort out.

Nationalistic, isolationist and protectionist does not equate to xenophobia.

I like how taking pride in America, working to see it succeed, something once desired in a politician way back when, is now seen as nationalism and borderline Nazism (not your words necessarily, but not "far off the mark" either... ).

And isolationism (something Trump has never called for, by the way), not wanting to get entangled in bloody, expensive, foreign wars (hey, the Democrats were all for such a t hing during the Bush years)...it's now seen as a BAD thing? What are you saying? NEOCONS were good after all?

As for protectionism...wanting to get fairer trade deals...not wanting to get "ripped off" by our trading partners...that's now xenophobia as well.

OK, I guess if that's the definition of xenophobia these days, so be it.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2017, 01:35 PM   #112
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing
Dennis Leary does a routine about racism and mentions that of course the Mexicans having brown skin has a lot to do with people disliking them. Anyway, he ends the routine by saying if it was Sweden sitting below the U.S. they'd have to build a wall to keep us out.
Trust me, if the Swedes had been pouring over the border all these decades and sucking the money out of entitlement programs, killing jobs for Americans, setting up massive drug smuggling operations into the United States...I have a sneaking suspicion that the current atmosphere would be exactly the same.

Crying about the color of their skin is an effective deflection from the real problems at hand, but it's just that...a red herring meant to distract in order to keep things as they are to benefit those who want to keep things as they are.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:24 PM   #113
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Trust me, if the Swedes had been pouring over the border all these decades and sucking the money out of entitlement programs, killing jobs for Americans, setting up massive drug smuggling operations into the United States...I have a sneaking suspicion that the current atmosphere would be exactly the same.

Crying about the color of their skin is an effective deflection from the real problems at hand, but it's just that...a red herring meant to distract in order to keep things as they are to benefit those who want to keep things as they are.
I'm going to disagree slightly. If tall, blonde, gorgeous Swedish women had been pouring over the border for decades (1) most of them would be married to Americans and (2) ICE would have to pry them sway from us.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2017, 02:28 PM   #114
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

So I'm not keeping Salma Hayek if she shows up?
Old 01-31-2017, 02:38 PM   #115
elysiantraveller

Quote:
It is though. You can conjure up all sorts of things (my denial for instance). But putting a square peg into a round hole usually won't work, unless you use the tried and true method of the sledgehammer, which is what you appear to be employing.

But then you're left with a helluva mess to sort out.

Nationalistic, isolationist and protectionist does not equate to xenophobia.

I like how taking pride in America, working to see it succeed, something once desired in a politician way back when, is now seen as nationalism and borderline Nazism (not your words necessarily, but not "far off the mark" either... ).

And isolationism (something Trump has never called for, by the way), not wanting to get entangled in bloody, expensive, foreign wars (hey, the Democrats were all for such a t hing during the Bush years)...it's now seen as a BAD thing? What are you saying? NEOCONS were good after all?

As for protectionism...wanting to get fairer trade deals...not wanting to get "ripped off" by our trading partners...that's now xenophobia as well.

OK, I guess if that's the definition of xenophobia these days, so be it.
You are picking and choosing instead of looking at the larger picture. NPT, NATO, Trade Wars, Banning Immigration (albeit claimed to be temporary), Torture, Tariffs, Strategic Partnerships,....

Yes individually we can dissect these things and the pro's and con's... However, when we take them as a whole and a new SHIFT in American Policy to describe in totality as Xenophobic is not at all far off the mark. "America First" after all...

This is the very rhetoric coming out of the Administration.

I largely dislike these parsing debates with you because you isolate down to select arguments where you feel you are superior and sometimes are while ignoring the overall larger picture. I'll grant some different trade negotiation and a few of these to you all day... you though are unwilling to grant anything.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 01-31-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:52 PM   #116
elysiantraveller

Watered down version to follow shortly... His base must love him!

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/22/politi...ump/index.html
Old 09-23-2017, 04:10 PM   #117
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

His base must wish they could all go back in time and vote for Hillary...wouldn't you agree?
Old 09-23-2017, 04:15 PM   #118
chrisl

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Watered down version to follow shortly... His base must love him!

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/22/politi...ump/index.html
And the problem is what? Please explain.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2017, 04:29 PM   #119
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I saw he was using CNN as a link and could not reply - too busy LMAOOTF.

THIS base member is very happy so far.
Now, if we could just sell congress to Canada.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:07 PM   #120
davew

[QUOTE=PaceAdvantage;2111975]It is though. You can conjure up all sorts of things (my denial for instance). But putting a square peg into a round hole usually won't work, unless you use the tried and true method of the sledgehammer, which is what you appear to be employing.

QUOTE]

easy if the round hole is big enough

davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply